Leaky Gut Urine Test - aka Intestinal Permeability Test

I decided to create a new thread specifically for this test to help others who might be considering a test like this one. My main thread with all my personal labs and data is here.

LACTULOSE / MANNITOL TESTING (URINE)
This lab test has been used for over 40 years, and measures the ability of two sugar molecules, lactulose and mannitol, to permeate through the intestinal epithelial barrier (a.k.a. “The Brush Border”). Mannitol is a small sugar molecule that is easily absorbed, whereas Lactulose is a larger molecule and is not readily absorbed. After a baseline urine sample is collected, the patient ingests the sugary Lactulose and Mannitol solution and a six-hour timed urine collection follows (source Dr Meaghan Dishman).

Why am I taking it?
I already suffer from mild IBD and Lactose Intolerance. I did have extremely loud intestinal gas that could be heard around me. Since taking a probiotic, the loud gas has died down to a dull roar. I still fart a lot - and for long durations, like playing a butt-trumpet in the school band.

It is believed to cause fatigue, anxiety, depression, digestive symptoms, joint ache, moodiness, hormonal imbalances and be exacerbated by Irritable Bowel. One poster on this forum felt it was tied to nightmares and waking up with the worst dry mouth ever.

Many doctors believe “leaky gut” is a myth and not worth testing for especially since so many things can cause it (including Antibiotics & Steroids). Oops.

As part of my journey into finding the answer to my problems and making my life better, I stated that I would take any test that might shed light on why I am experiencing hormone related problems.

I have a bad feeling about this test. I don’t plan to go anywhere – because I must capture every urination in a jug for 6 hours and keep it refrigerated. I doubt many office refrigerators would appreciate a jug of urine on the top shelf with a sign that says “For Bob”.

I think the drink is going to give me problems. Both lactulose & mannitol are known to be laxatives and lactulose is known to give stomach cramps. I am also imagining it is so sweet that I will have troubles keeping it down.

All this will happen tomorrow … For now, here are pictures from the package.

Good luck! I hope you find out something.
I understand how frustrating it is.
In your other thread I didn’t see any glutamine. I have Graves and can drink a glass of water and instantly blow up. I belch for hours, from one fricking glass of water. I started taking glutamine and it helped on the very first day. It is supposed to help heal leaky gut. We will see!

So first thing this morning, I captured my first pee. Only problem was one cup wasn’t enough for an all-nighter. Regardless, I filled the pre-drink vial and disposed of my pee.

Then I mixed and drank the liquid. Although my stomach growled immediately, it was not as bad as I had expected. The taste was not as sweet as I imagined, and it went down well.

I waited 2 hours before I could eat or drink, then began consuming 1 cup of water every hour, staying away from items on the list of “no-nos”.

I am concerned though, because I have only peed once. In the next 30 minutes, the collection period will be over and there is very little urine collected. But on a normal day I drink substantially more water than the instructions tell you, which I guess is restricting my output.

So, within the next 30 minutes, I will pee for the last time; finish the requirements of packing up the kit, and drop it off at Fedex.

The results of my intestinal permeability test (aka “leaky gut”).

The (very confusing) results show that I have a slightly high “lactulose percent recovery” indicating some potential of leaky gut. However, the mannitol percent recovery and the l/m radio are both in range, making me believe the amount of problem is trivial.