T Nation

Leak Scandal: A New Page?

Interesting, Bob Novak seems to be the source of some new discussion on this ongoing issue...

Bob Novak Says President Knows Leak Source
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051215/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cia_leak_investigation
[i]
Novak said that "I'd be amazed" if the president didn't know the source's identity and that the public should "bug the president as to whether he should reveal who the source is."

In 2003, Novak exposed Plame's identity eight days after her husband, former U.S. Ambassador Joseph Wilson, accused the Bush administration of manipulating prewar intelligence to exaggerate the Iraqi threat. In the column disclosing Plame's CIA status, Novak said the sources for his column were two administration officials.

The identity of Novak's sources has been one of the secrets in the CIA leak investigation.

Bush's top political adviser, Karl Rove, is one of Novak's sources, according to people close to the investigation, but his other source is not publicly known.

Novak apparently is cooperating with the criminal investigation of Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, though the journalist has never said so.

Schumer, D-N.Y., urged Bush to share the identity of Novak's sources if the president knows.

"You are in a position to clear this matter up quickly," Schumer said in a letter to the president on Wednesday.

"Unlike Mr. Novak, who can claim an interest in maintaining the confidentiality of his sources, there is no similar privilege arguably preventing you from sharing this information," Schumer wrote.

"You have repeatedly suggested that you would like to get to the bottom of this affair," Schumer reminded Bush. "At one point, in 2004, you suggested that anyone who was involved in leaking the name of the covert CIA operative would be fired."
[/i]
Since the president has recently discovered the concept of taking responsibility, will he encourage the truth to come out in this affair? Yes, that is obviously a tongue-in-cheek statement.

Also interesting...

W.House takes issue with Novak on CIA leak claim
http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-12-15T153148Z_01_SIB555880_RTRUKOC_0_US-BUSH-LEAK.xml
[i]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House took issue on Thursday with a claim by syndicated columnist Robert Novak that President George W. Bush knows who the source is who leaked the identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

"I don't know what he's basing it on," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan, declining to comment further.

Novak said Tuesday the public and the news media should be asking Bush about the source rather than reporters who received the information.

"I'm confident the president knows who the source is," Novak told a luncheon in Raleigh, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. "I'd be amazed if he doesn't."

He added: "So I say, don't bug me. Don't bug (Washington Post reporter) Bob Woodward. Bug the president as to whether he should reveal who the source is."
[/i]

Keeping an eye on the media...

Wash. Post reported new characterization by Novak of CIA leak motive
http://mediamatters.org/items/200512150011

Summary: The Washington Post reported that Robert Novak has said Bush administration officials who revealed Valerie Plame's identity to him were, in the Post's words, "casually providing a tidbit of information and did not seem to be trying to generate a story to discredit" Joe Wilson, ignoring Novak's original statement that Plame's identity "was given to me" by two administration sources because "they thought it was significant."

This says to me, that Bush may even be somewhat unpopular among his cabinet or mabey the guy that did this is just some guy that got mad b/c he was fired. But i think the former choice is the more likely one , b/c if it was the second; we would all know who it was and the administration would get the hammer out on the guy. Call him a " traitor " publicly and all that.

What do you think about this " defector " theory? Jassus im turning into a conspiracy theorist.

I was thinking that perhaps Novak was firing a shot...

I really don't know what he might have been signalling though.

Uh, perhaps he was talking $hit b/c he lost his crossfire job.

He is on the way to Fox News now.

Novak going to fox? I may watch it more often. He's so cynical its hard not to like him.

He will not be unique at Fox and what made him 'likable' (to right wingnuts) while on CNN will make him a dime a dozen at Faux.