Leader and Anchor

I will certainly do the program Jim helped me with first, as I am really thankful for all the help and advice I’ve been given. The only thing is what to do afterward - I wrote it out wrong beforehand, I’ll do what I’ve programmet first, and thinking of what to do for the meet (after the meet in about 10 weeks). - after writing it all up like this, I can clearly see that I should first do what I have programmet, and evaluate on that for the programming to come later on :slight_smile:

Thank you for your advice and for wishing me luck!

1 Like

Hi! I know this is an old post but I was just wondering about the 5s PRO in the leader phase. Isn’t the 5s pro more intense than the usual 531? You’re doing 5 reps in during the 2nd and 3rd week in comparison to doing 3+ and 1+. 5 reps for the 95% seems a lot harder than the 1+ for 95%. Thanks!

If the training max ™ is set properly, one would be doing at least 5 reps, and generally more than 5 reps, on the 1+ day, so 5’s PRO is generally not more work. Keep in mind that Wendler specifies that before going into a new leader you should make sure that the TM is not too high, usually no higher than 85% of 1RM.

1 Like

It’s been over half a year since I’ve calculated my 1rm. I think it’s probably time I recalculated it. I’ve been only getting an extra rep or two for my top sets for quite a long time now.

Do we have to use an 85% TM for the anchor too? Essentially could i also use the usual 531 for my leader if I don’t go overboard with the prs? Thanks!

The anchor is done after the leaders so you’ve added the 5/10lb increases at least twice already so its already a bit more than 85%. Also you test or reset your TM more frequently now so it should always be between 85 and 90%

1 Like

Yes, it seems that lowering your TM would be wise.

I am not sure what you are asking, but here is an attempt to address your question. Generally one would plan out a set of leaders and anchors, most commonly 2 leaders and one anchor. You make sure the TM is no more than 85% before the first leader, and otherwise you just add the 5-10 lbs at the end of each cycle until the anchor is done.

You an use normal 5/3/1 PR sets in a leader. If you are doing that, you would still start with the same sort of 85% TM at the beginning. Wendler has a few programs that include PR sets in the leaders in 5/3/1 Forever, so I highly recommend that you get and read that book. But, in general, yes you can use an original 5/3/1 style with PR sets in the anchor, and you would still use a no-more-than 85% TM for that.

Regarding “if I don’t go overboard with the prs,” I think it is more not going overboard on everything else. If you do 5’s PRO, then you can do more supplemental work (like Boring But Big), but if you are pushing for PRs something needs to be lessened, such as by keeping supplemental work to just 5x5 First Set Last

Thank you for replying. My bad, It skipped my mind that I would have already added the 5/10 lbs increment twice by the time I’ve reached my anchor.

Anyway I’ll give lowering my TM to 85% a try. Thanks again!

1 Like

It skipped my mind that I would have already added the increment twice by the time I reach the anchor phase. I should really test my 1rm more often.

Thanks!

1 Like