T Nation

LDL, HDL, VLDL, and What's a Good Blood Lipid Profile?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Anyone know much about LPA? Supposed to be largely genetic, doesn’t respond to stains, diet, or lifestyle. And substantially increases cardiovascular risk (by like 300%). Only niacin is supposed to help.

I’m still unclear if LPA is actually counted as LDL in a standard cholesterol test. I know you can get tested for LPA as a separate test. [/quote]

Some doctors use it as an excuse to put people on statins (because it is a “risk factor”) even though statins don’t affect it. I know that lots of long distance running and high volume bodybuilding training have been shown to raise it. We are talking about a large volume like running 20 miles a week or doing 2 hour bodybuilding routines with 6-15 rep sets.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Anyone know much about LPA? Supposed to be largely genetic, doesn’t respond to stains, diet, or lifestyle. And substantially increases cardiovascular risk (by like 300%). Only niacin is supposed to help.

I’m still unclear if LPA is actually counted as LDL in a standard cholesterol test. I know you can get tested for LPA as a separate test. [/quote]

Some doctors use it as an excuse to put people on statins (because it is a “risk factor”) even though statins don’t affect it. I know that lots of long distance running and high volume bodybuilding training have been shown to raise it. We are talking about a large volume like running 20 miles a week or doing 2 hour bodybuilding routines with 6-15 rep sets.
[/quote]

Where did you read about LPA and training?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10461709