T Nation

Lazy Kids

I take the city bus to work and home from work sometimes, just cuz parking at my job is kinda expensive, plus the bus goes by my house.

I see alot of interesting things. Today I noticed that there’s alot of high school kids that get on the bus for literally 2 minutes. They will wait for 15 minutes are more before they would walk 2 blocks, which at the most is a 5 minute walk. wtf!

Some of these kids need the walk to. There is this one kid that i really feel bad for. he has to be between 250 and 300 5’5" and a Double D cup.

It’s the morning. If it’s was any other time it would be bad.

I’m a teacher and in my district, if you live less than 1-1.5 miles from school you have to walk to school.

Well, there’s a student who’s about 5’8 and checking at 270, give or take 20 pounds. He is huge, breathes with his mouth and rather than walking like most people do he slowly shuffles side to side, almost waddling.

My point?

He is one of those who walks to and from school, which means he walks 2-3 miles a day. What would he look like if he didn’t walk to school scares me.

Sometimes I want to say something to him, but I don’t know what or how.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
Sometimes I want to say something to him, but I don’t know what or how.[/quote]

Definitely a bad idea. That can seriously come back to bite you in the butt, even if your intentions are 100% good.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:

I’m sure he hears it from parents, doctors, extended family, etc. enough. One random person giving him grief (I know you don’t see it this way, but he probably) does will not make a difference and just darken his day.

Yeah I’ve seen it all. The bus’ been my transportation for years. I like seeing all the crackheads. But I’m with you on this, with some of these kids it’s like “Dude, you live 3 blocks away. Why you waitin’ for the bus?”

[quote]Sonny S wrote:

Sounds more like you should be saying something to his parents.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
Sonny S wrote:

Sounds more like you should be saying something to his parents.[/quote]

Talking to a kids parents abut a weight problem is pointless. They either know he has a problem and don’t give a shit, or they know about his problem and HE doesn’t give a shit, so they are helpless.

Maybe what you should do is be his secret mentor. Start by chatting him up, nothing about weight, just about life…If you are really into lifting, eating properly, etc…maybe he will eventually come to, and want to follow you. This approach work more times than not, you just can’t give them any ideas that you are TRYING to get them to diet. It has to come naturally.

I am in the process of working with my brother. After getting into trouble in VA, I got him a job and allowed him to move in with me and my family. He came here weighing 325+lbs at 6’2". When he first got he, he continued his lifestyle of doing nothing and eating like shit. He breathes out of his mouth as well, sounds like a large mammal lounging in my living room.

After a while, he began asking small questions, first about working out, then what to eat…the more time that passed, the more questions he asked, and eventually he started gathering info from me.

Next thing you know, his ass joined my gym, I wrote him soem workouts to use for the first 3 months, and he is now down to about 280. Now, I am a FFB, when I started I was 272 @ 5"11, that was in August of 2005. By Febuary 2006, I broke the 200lb barrier, finishing my diet at 195 @ 15% BF.

I did not like the feel of being that small, so I started my bulk. I have been dieting again, and currently stand 5’11" @ 213lb @12%BF. The important thing is, during all of MY phases, he just watched, I offered nothing to him…I never commented on his eating, his weight or his disgusting breathing.

He just absorbed, and we talked, and then it happened. Sorry to ramble, just wanted to offer something I thought was useful to your situation.

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
Sonny S wrote:

Definitely a bad idea. That can seriously come back to bite you in the butt, even if your intentions are 100% good.

[/quote]

Exactly! And that is part of the problem. You can’t tell someone they’re fat and need to loose weight. You can’t even suggest that they might have a weight issue that could cause medical problems in the future.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
biglift88 wrote:
Sonny S wrote:

Exactly! And that is part of the problem. You can’t tell someone they’re fat and need to loose weight. You can’t even suggest that they might have a weight issue that could cause medical problems in the future.

[/quote]

Your ass would get sued. Call him a Nappy headed FaT boy, then I think you could be alright!!

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
I’m a teacher and in my district, if you live less than 1-1.5 miles from school you have to walk to school.

Well, there’s a student who’s about 5’8 and checking at 270, give or take 20 pounds. He is huge, breathes with his mouth and rather than walking like most people do he slowly shuffles side to side, almost waddling.

My point?

He is one of those who walks to and from school, which means he walks 2-3 miles a day. What would he look like if he didn’t walk to school scares me.

Just tell him that as long as he gets rich, he will still gut primo pussy.

Wait…that came out wrong.