LayzieBone085's Diet Log

I’m starting this thread on behalf of LayzieBone085 …

Hey Tampa Terry! i also have a question and it comes with my diet…

First of all im 140 lbs and i am 5’8 in height…

I workout 5 days a week of weight training (hit a different muscle… chest, back , legs, etc) and 3 days a week of cardio 3 x 30 minutes of elliptical, stairmaster, bike, running etc… etc…

i work in morning so i am usually up the same time as this guy is at 5:30 or so … so my diet plan would be close to his

here is a sample of my diet… but before i show you this i would like to know that I am trying to gain a little bit of weight this summer i would like to get to 155 if not like 160ish to put some weight on me i look skinny…

i have great body physique as i have abs showing and am cut as i was 220 last year playing offensive line and tore my MCL and rehabed by doing cardio and now i eat pretty damn clean…

can you tell me what you think of my diet and tell me if I have enough fats, carbs, protein in each one of my meals… i should have 25g of protein each meal dividing my weight, so i tried the best i could

Wake up 6:30 (if i woke up at 5:30 change all the hours by 1)

Meal 1 7 a.m. - 1 bowl of All Bran Cereal w/ Skim Milk, Protein Shake (1 scoop whey 8 oz water), Banana … it is usually 2 bowls of all bran… but im thinking of changing it to a banana

Workout 8 a.m.

Post Workout Shake 10 a.m.: - 1 1/2 scoop whey, 20 oz Gatorade

Meal 2 12:30 p.m.: 8 oz Tuna on Whole Wheat Bread, loaded w/ veggies (lett, tom, cucumber, shreadded carrots, green pep, onion) apple, some PB on the bread

Meal 3 3:30 p.m.: 8 oz Chicken, 1 cup Sweet Potatoes, 1-1 1/2 cup veggies mostly green… beans or broccoli tab of olive oil on veggies

Meal 4 6:30 p.m.: 8 oz Chicken, 1 cup brown rice, 1 1-1 1/2 cup veggies again mostly green or small salad… tab of olive oil on veggies or salad

Meal 5 9:30 p.m. (Before Bed) : 1 cup of non-fat cottage cheese

i know it doesnt seem like much but i was wondering what i could add/drop and incorporate… thats just a bsic outline sometimes ill have eggs instead of tuna or chicken or maybe a steak for meal 4

i like to eat a wide variety of veggies / fruits and other things but sometimes i dont know where to incorporate them

any suggestions on the diet and or what to incorporate would be helpful…

supplement wise i only take whey protein… i dont take anything else i feel like thats all i need to make gains if used properly…

also what do u suggest postworkout… i have a whey shake and some gatorade cause its a high GI carb and it hits the system quick as it is starchy with some carbs and sugary to create a spike

i know this thread is about weight loss, but u seem very well organized when it comes to an outline of a diet and where you could help

ALso if you could incorporate what meals should have P C and F and for what times to help me scratch up a new diet if i Have to…

Thanks a lot!

Okay, LayzieBone085, let’s get to work!!! (grin)

There’s not a lot of difference between bulking and cutting. You want to maximize the good (LBM gains) and minimize the bad (fat gain). You’ll consume the same amount of protein and good fat, whether you’re bulking or cutting. The difference will be in the amount of carbs you take in and the type of carbs you take in. When cutting, you take in more fibrous green veggie carbs, some fruit and some beans. When bulking, you’ll take in more starchy carbs.

Bulking or cutting, you need to weigh in on Friday and take your measurements. Every week you go through a process called “Outcome Based Decision Making.” That means that if you’re making slow, but steady progress towards your goals, you continue doing what you’re doing. If you don’t make progress, then you need to take it up a notch. In your case, we’ll establish a baseline and on any given week that you don’t gain at least a little weight, you’ll increase calories by 250 calories per day.

Do you have a scale (or can you get one) so that you can weigh on Friday morning, out of bed, after you hit the restroom? Along with weighing yourself every Friday, take the following measurements and keep 'em in a book. I’ll use them to evaluate your progress.

• Right Bicep (or left, if you like)
  • Chest
  • Waist
  • Butt
  • Right Thigh
  • Right Calf

The first area of opportunity that I see is in your workout and cardio. I’d like for you to do two HIIT sessions per week on days you are not doing resistance training. Do a search on HIIT, which stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It’s going to do a lot more to help you achieve your goals than steady-state cardio.

Workouts. Pick a program here on the site and limit your workouts to 3 or 4 days per week. Putting on muscle doesn’t happen while you’re IN the gym. It happens OUTSIDE the gym, while you’re recovering, eating, sleeping, etc.

At 140 pounds you need 140g of protein per day. You’ll need to enter the food you’re eating into www.fitday.com. If you’re eating 5 meals, shoot for 30g of protein per meal. That’s a little more than 1g of protein per pound of body weight, but it won’t hurt with you bulking.

For fat you need 70g of fat per day. Part of that fat should be in the form of olive oil (1.5 tablespoons per day; 21g of fat) and part should be in the form of flaxseed oil and or fish oil (1.5 tablespoons per day; 21g of fat).

As far as your starchy carbs go, try to consume them earlier in the day, except for your PWO meal following resistance training. That’s when your body can process 'em best and put 'em to the best use (i.e., using them to build muscle, instead of adding to fat stores).

Lots of really good, healthy food choices, LayzieBone085!!! Incorporate as many of the changes I recommended as you can, and start tracking your progress. If you report in regularly on your thread, I’ll help you tweak and adjust things along the way, so that you do make steady progress towards your goals.

yes i do have a scale and i do incorporate a good clean diet…

do you think my meals are reasonable with what im eating though?

i changed my breakfast from 2 bowls of cereal with skim milk and a protein shake to just 1 bowl of cereal and dropped the other for a banana… which im thinkin will be a bad idea, but i like to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet even tho i am bulking … i do take a multi vitamin everyday though

As for a scale yes i weigh in at the gym every monday and i did 2 days ago and i was at 139. 1 lb under 140 :frowning: eek even eating the 2 bowls of cereal and what not…

If im going to cutdown on lifting to 3-4 days then what should i do about my 5 day split of exercises (1 day chest/back/legs/shoulders/bi’s tri’s) i know what HIIT is but what machines is this training done on best? any of them as long as you vary the intensity from HI to Low for about what 15-20 miunutes or so? instead of going constant for what 30-40 minutes?

As for the diet could u lay an outline of what u shuold think should be invovled in every meal like in other logs i have seen P + C , P + F and so on… i think maybe i could incorporate some fats with my cottage cheese at night in my 2 meals previous to that i have olive oil on my veggies and i have PB on my bread when i have my sandwich in the afternoon

I believe i get plenty of protein especially on workout days I have a shake in the morning 26g… a PWO shake another 26g, 8 oz of tuna on my sandwich about 30-40g… 8 oz chicken in the next 2 meals about 30-40g, and a cup or so of cottage cheese about 25g… if i add that up to a minimum that comes to 175 min and im 140… so i think im hitting the number there…

As far as carbs go I love eating a variety of veggies… broccoli, green beans, asparagus, califlour, carrots, red/green peppers, onions, corn, peas, you name is i probably eat it so i try to vary my veggies everyday

Fruit i dont get much of… just an apple with my sandwich in the afternoon… but i dropped a bowl of cereal in the morning for a banana now ( im thinkin a bad idea as another full bowl of cereal is probably what kept my weight gain moving up very slow… so dropping that is probably a bad idea)

My other meals are pretty steady with P + C + F with brown rice / sweet potatoes / whole wheat breads and i like to incorporate olive oil and peanut butter for fats

As far as measurements Ill get to that as soon as possible

i love to workout as I am always in there, but it seems like im not eating enough or having trouble with my diet that is why i have been seeking help on forms such as T-Nation and bodybuilding.com also on facebook there is a group called addicted to the gym with a bunch of knowledgeable guys i suggest you guys join it if you are on facebook at all! a great place to discuss articles and health and nutriton…

Also what do you do for PWO on cardio days

(now that im going to incorporate HIIT today) im gonna do the stairmaster for 20-25 minutes and ill go 50% for 1 minute and then 20 seconds HIIT and repeat over n over for 20-25 minutes)

Also here are some pics of me so you can get a good look at my measurements and how i look and see what i might have to do

but tampa thanx for the first outcome of help! apprecaite it always my man!

I’ve got a homework assignment for you, LB … http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1509230

Read my instructions on how to put together a diet, and take a stab at it. I’ll help you out and take a look at what you put together.

More fruits and veggies = good! (grin)
Multi-vitamin = good!
Variety = good! Good job on all the different veggies you eat!!! (grin)

If im going to cutdown on lifting to 3-4 days then what should i do about my 5 day split of exercises (1 day chest/back/legs/shoulders/bi’s tri’s)

Look at some of Chad Waterbury’s stuff, LB. Charles Staley and Christian Thibaudeau also have some kick-ass programs. Try to change things up as much as possible. Pick a program that has different sets and reps than the ones you’ve BEEN doing.

It’s time to shake it up and put some classic structure into how and what you eat and work out. Treat it like an adventure … constantly growing and learning and stretching!!!

i know what HIIT is but what machines is this training done on best?

Pick your favorite machine. You can do the stairs in a stadium, eliptical, treadmill, bike, anything.

6 minutes warmup, slow and easy
7 sprints lasting 30 seconds in duration, following by 90 seconds slow and easy. Your sprints should be all-out, everything you’ve got.
Sprints are done at Minutes 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18

HIIT is done on alternate days, never on the same day you do resistance training.

Switch out the cereal to oatmeal. It’s great stuff. It will lower your cholesterol and put hair on your chest. (grin)

As far as measurements Ill get to that as soon as possible

Measurements should be done at the same time you weigh yourself. It’s something you can do on your own. Weigh & measure every week.

The Diet: I am rising so early because I work at 9 - 5 Mon-Fri and im only 19! jeez i feel old so i want to make sure I have time for a meal and my PWO drink before I hit work

Remember I weigh 140 and am 5’8… i sometimes feel quite full after my meal 1 of a bowl of cereal and banana… it use to be 2 bowls of cereal and the protein shake… but i cut back…

once i run out of cereal im thinking of 1 cup of oatmeal and a banana… right now i have tons of cereal and getting rid of it… still love it though

05:30 Rise & Shine
06:00 1 scoop whey(8 oz water), 6-8 oz milk(milk for cereal), 1 bowl cereal, 1 banana (only reason i eat cereal is i have 15 boxes of it) 1 Multivitamin
07:00 Workout
08:45 PWO Drink (1 scoop whey w/ 8 oz water) 20 oz Gatorade
11:15 P+C Whole Wheat Tuna Sandwich + Apple (Peanut Butter on 1 slice of bread)
2:15 P+C+F 1 cup chicken, 1 Sweet Potato, 1 cup veggies, + Olive Oil
5:15 P+C+F 8 1 cup chicken, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup veggies + Olive Oil
8:15 P 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
10:30-11 Lights Out

And then depending what Time i get out of work usually 4:30-5 some days or when i do doubles about 10-10:15

There is a diet with your outline that you had for that newbie guide

Suggestions for PWO Drink? i got some fast hitting carbs to get a spike (high GI) along with my whey… is the timing right on the PWO meal? or too late

i try to eat every 3 hours after that

For my workouts I like to do 4 sets for my main or first few exercises (bench, shuolder press, squat, leg press)

Im thinking of going to a 5x5 workout and limiting my workouts to 5 exercises… i do 2 exercises (mainly bench, squat, legpress, shoulder press, lat pulldown) depending on day with 4 sets of 8-10, and the rest of the exercises (usually 5 more) 3 sets of 8-12 reps

I did perform HIIT yesterday 25 minutes on the stairmaster going 1 minute 50% on level 10, and then followed by 45 seconds on lvl 20 (90%) lvl 20 was max on the machine… so i did lvl 10 for the slow steady, and lvl 20 max for my high heart rate…

then to experiment i did the elliptical for 15 minutes and that surely kicked my ass lvl 10 for 50% 1min and lvl 20 for 45 seconds (max level)

As for workout days here is something I came up with

Mon - Chest / Tri’s ( 3 exercise Chest/Tri)
Tue - Legs / Calves (5 Exercise Legs 1 Calve)
Wed - HIIT Cardio & Abs
Thur - Back and Bi’s (3 Back 3 Bi)
Fri - Shoulders (5-6 Shoulder including triple set of front/side/bent over raises)
Sat - HIIT Cardio & Abs
Sun - Off?

Im thinking of doing a 5 x 5 workout… if not that maybe a 4 x 8 for all my sets

Nice job, LB!!! I’m really liking the structure, timing and food choices.

Here are my recommendations that will take things up a notch …

Consume a whole food P+C meal one hour after your PWO drink. That would be 9:45. Eat every 3 hours after that.

06:00 P + Fruit + starchy carbs
07:00-8:00 Workout
08:30 PWO Drink
09:30 PWO Meal (P+Fruit w/ starchy carbs)
12:30 P + Fruit + starchy carbs
03:30 P + Fat + Veggies
06:30 P + Fat + Veggies
09:30 P + Fat + Veggies

Make sure your workout is completed in an hour or less and that you drink your PWO drink within a half hour of that.

Does the above work for you timewise?

Have as many veggies as you want at all of the meals above.

Your protein requirements are 20-25g per meal, including your PWO drink.

For fat, I’m using 0.5g times body weight, which works out to 70g of fat per day. Divide it up any how you want to in your P+F meals, but you should have 1.5 tablespoons (21g of fat) of olive oil and 1.5 tablespoons (21g of fat) of flaxseed oil per day. Don’t cook with the flaxseed oil, and make sure it’s refrigerated.

Your P+C should be low in fat = <5g of fat
Your P+F meals should be low in starchy carbs = <10g of carbs

So you shouldn’t have rice or sweet potatoes (starchy carb) in your P+F meal, and you shouldn’t have peanut butter in your P+C meal. Just move those food items to their proper slots … rice and sweet potatoes earlier in the day, peanut butter later in the day.

Go ahead and do HIIT the way I wrote out for you …

[quote]6 minutes warmup, slow and easy
7 sprints lasting 30 seconds in duration, following by 90 seconds slow and easy. Your sprints should be all-out, everything you’ve got.
Sprints are done at Minutes 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 [/quote]

Questions? (grin)

hmm… so what would be another meal that you could add into my list? and what should i have for fats at the end of the day like at 9:30???

You know what i eat would u mind trying to set up a diagram for me for that time slot u filled out for me? like when i shuold have my sandwich with PB and when i should have my brown rice and sweet potato? im kinda confused so if u could write it out for me it would give me a major boost on what to eat and when to eat…

maybe for the last meal of the day 9:30… Cottage Cheese with some PB?? or is it bad to have Fat before bed??
and the 2 P+F meals before that would be what? Maybe a grilled chicken salad with olive oil?

Give me some ideas of what to eat at these meals… cause u added another meal and its gonna be tough for me to think of what to add

I would also like to say I drink a lot of water I dont know if that has anything to do with my meals… usually over 20oz per meal (600 ml) and 1 L at breakfast with my cereal, banana, and protein shake… and between meals prob another 20oz (600 ml)

For my 3 fats in a day would u reccomend Olive Oil sprinkled on some veggies maybe with a chicken and salad

Peanut Butter with some Tuna and some veggies

Cottage Cheese (P) Almonds (Fat) and some veggies

the thing is I need to know a good portion size… maybe 1 cup of cottage cheese a handful of almonds and 1 cup of veggies

2 tablespoon PB 8 oz tuna and 1 cup veggies

Maybe for P+ Fruit + Starcy Carbs… uhh maybe Egg Beaters , Apple, and Oatmeal?
For breakfast P+C+ Fruit how about Protein Shake, 1 Bowl of Cereal, Banana

Try to set it up like that based off my other diet… i think i get what ur going for?

as for PWO Shake? is like 35g of protein and 50g of carbs good for me at 140? i think so i get that from 1 1/2 scoop whey and a 20 oz gatorade…

um other then that any other foods u reccomend for starcy carbs, protein, fats and when to eat them I would really apprecaite**

And also for the exercises how many exercises in 1 day do you think is good 6 and 4 sets of 8 or 5 x 5? let me know ASAP! gonna ry n get on that starting 2marow if u can get back to me!

thanks a ton again man

Before I list my Diet could u suggest some protein sources / Starchy Carbs / Fruits/ Veggies

P - Chicken , Tuna, Eggs,
Starchy Carbs - Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Whole Wheat Breads, Allbran or Branflakes Cereal
Fruit - banana , apple, orange
Veggies - Beans, Broccoli, Califlour, Carrots

something along that line

*I also made a chili with Lean Beef, Brown Rice, Kidney Beans, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Onions, Broccoli, Green Beans, Califlour, Carrots, Garbanzo Beans … could i use this for my P + C(starchy) + Fruit meal so like 1 cup of that chili with an orange? becuse it has the brown rice in there.

and for all my other portions of tuna/chicken i usualy do 1 cup do u think that is enuogh to get my 20g per meal? i have 1 cup tupperware containers that i use all the time so i just fill those up with chicken and whatnot

Also I need an Idea of what to do for days that i do cardio just eliminate the PWO shake and go right for that meal after the PWO drink and eat every 3 hrs after that? thanks!

Here is my stab at the diet For Workout Days:

5:30 – Rise and Shine

6:00 – Bowl of Bran Flakes, 6-8 oz skim milk (milk for cereal), banana, 1 scoop whey (8 oz water protein shake)

7-8 – Workout

8:30 PWO Drink – 1 1/2 scoop whey 20 oz gatorade on side

9:30 P+Fruit+Starchy Carbs – 1 Cup Egg Beater, 1/2 cup oatmeal, Apple

12:30 P+Fruit+Starcy Carbs – 6-8 Oz Tuna, Orange, 2 pieces whole wheat bread with some veggies for a sandwich

3:30 – P+F+Veggies 6-8 Oz Chicken, 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 cup Mixed Veggies (Broc, Califlour, carrots) or 1 - 1/2 cup salad

6:30 P+F+Veggies – 6-8 Oz Chicken, 1/4 cup almonds, 1 cup broccoli

9:30 P+F+Veggies – 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter, 1 cup green beans

Do you really think its necessary to have 3 pieces of fruit in a day along with milk that is a lot of sugar! just curious

just trying to bump this topic… anyone else have anymore advice? i would apprecaite it

[quote]LayzieBone085 wrote:
hmm… so what would be another meal that you could add into my list? and what should i have for fats at the end of the day like at 9:30???

You know what i eat would u mind trying to set up a diagram for me for that time slot u filled out for me? like when i shuold have my sandwich with PB and when i should have my brown rice and sweet potato? im kinda confused so if u could write it out for me it would give me a major boost on what to eat and when to eat…

maybe for the last meal of the day 9:30… Cottage Cheese with some PB?? or is it bad to have Fat before bed??
and the 2 P+F meals before that would be what? Maybe a grilled chicken salad with olive oil?
[/quote]

sure looks good get some variety though

a meat a veggie and some fat

yup good stuff, dont ignore nuts, eggs etc.

yup

Pick a solid program from here all those rep schemes work. Id suggest maybe looking at ABBH

P= dont forget beef, fish, turkey, pork, dairy, etc

starches = IMO id 86 the cereals but, starchy any potato, bread, flours, grains,

Fruit and veggie = LOL come on pears, peaches, pinapple, grapes, melons. berries etc etc.
veggie, aspargus, peppers, squash, cabbage, green bean, lettuces, yada yada

try 1-2 new veggies or fruits a week.

sure it better be HEAVY on the beef to get the protein

[quote]
and for all my other portions of tuna/chicken i usualy do 1 cup do u think that is enuogh to get my 20g per meal? i have 1 cup tupperware containers that i use all the time so i just fill those up with chicken and whatnot[/quote]

a cup thats prob close to 4 oz of many meats etc your talking apporx 20g pro.

[quote]
Also I need an Idea of what to do for days that i do cardio just eliminate the PWO shake and go right for that meal after the PWO drink and eat every 3 hrs after that? thanks![/quote]

yup knock out the PWO and lower the starchy carbs in general

Id personally drop the cereal for something a bit better oats, etc. even a whole grain bread, but…

[quote]
7-8 – Workout

8:30 PWO Drink – 1 1/2 scoop whey 20 oz gatorade on side

9:30 P+Fruit+Starchy Carbs – 1 Cup Egg Beater, 1/2 cup oatmeal, Apple

12:30 P+Fruit+Starcy Carbs – 6-8 Oz Tuna, Orange, 2 pieces whole wheat bread with some veggies for a sandwich

3:30 – P+F+Veggies 6-8 Oz Chicken, 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 cup Mixed Veggies (Broc, Califlour, carrots) or 1 - 1/2 cup salad

6:30 P+F+Veggies – 6-8 Oz Chicken, 1/4 cup almonds, 1 cup broccoli

9:30 P+F+Veggies – 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter, 1 cup green beans

Do you really think its necessary to have 3 pieces of fruit in a day along with milk that is a lot of sugar! just curious[/quote]

FRUIT = GOOD lol they are loaded with micronutrients etc

all in all looks good id start getting some more varied meats in fear not lean beef and fish etc.

Phill

Phil thanks for the reply! yeah i try to switch it up… instead of the eggbeaters and oatmeal ill toss in that chili with some brown rice for a change… and instead of having a tuna sandwich ill toss in some turkey… its always good to vary it up…

sometimes for my later meals ill have a steak and green beans with some olive oil on the veggies…

it just a simple outline… but thanx for the comments and help really apprecaite it my man…

if there are any other things i could change in there or add let me know i appreciate ur help and ur basis on my diet

i know it may not be a very good one for trying tot bulk up 15-20 lbs but im trying to form a good outline…

for the cereal thing i ahve like 15 boxes from school so im scarfing those down and i do have oats i just awnt to eat away at my cereal so i can incorporate them faster :slight_smile:

thanx for the insight really apprecaite it

Only thing Ill add is relax a little you dont have to have it alllll perfect. Sure finish the cereal, have a treat here and there and if you are not putting on weight dont fear things that are not called so called clean or getting worked up over the P+C and P+F thing

Try and have quality food relax work hard have some FUN and results will come

Phill

[quote]LayzieBone085 wrote:
Phil thanks for the reply! yeah i try to switch it up… instead of the eggbeaters and oatmeal ill toss in that chili with some brown rice for a change… and instead of having a tuna sandwich ill toss in some turkey… its always good to vary it up…

sometimes for my later meals ill have a steak and green beans with some olive oil on the veggies…

it just a simple outline… but thanx for the comments and help really apprecaite it my man…

if there are any other things i could change in there or add let me know i appreciate ur help and ur basis on my diet

i know it may not be a very good one for trying tot bulk up 15-20 lbs but im trying to form a good outline…

for the cereal thing i ahve like 15 boxes from school so im scarfing those down and i do have oats i just awnt to eat away at my cereal so i can incorporate them faster :slight_smile:

thanx for the insight really apprecaite it[/quote]

the fun comes when its time to work it out in the gym and hit the weights hard…

it just sucks that the gym’s are closed on memorial day! what kind of shit is that?

fucking bogus… who needs a memorial day anyways lets all get to a gym i want to lift dammit

but thanks again for more insight! i try to have as much fun as i can, but i have very limited free time with working 13-14 hour days… i try the best i can to get some spare time and read up on articles from here and bodybuilding.com

and also spend time w/ the family and g/f but thanks for the insight on helping i appreciate the comments as always

bumpin this to anyone who is reading… would apprecaite the help! thanks

so what would be another meal that you could add into my list? and what should i have for fats at the end of the day like at 9:30???

LB, you’ll get a lot of food IDEAS just reading the forum. If you see something you like, then it’s just a case of figuring out the amounts YOU need and fitting it in the slot. Since people’s taste preferences are so different, what I usually do is help them with the STRUCTURE of their plan and leave the actual choices up to them.

If you’re getting in the recommended amount of olive oil and flaxseed oil, there’s not going to be a lot of fat grams left over that aren’t taken up by the lean cuts of meat, eggs and dairy you are consuming. Once those requirements are met, you can have mayonnaise or peanut butter or avocado or butter or sausage or a fattier cut of steak. The options are endless.

You know what i eat would u mind trying to set up a diagram for me for that time slot u filled out for me?

Actually, I’d be glad to help YOU, but you’ve got to take a stab at it. But if you’re feeling uncomfortable with the process, check out my post on the Metabolism Repair Plan. It’s about 8 posts down … http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopicMwa.do?id=1584213

It will lead you through the steps of putting together a plan.

when i shuold have my sandwich with PB and when i should have my brown rice and sweet potato?

Eating PB and bread means that you are combining fat with a starchy carb (F+C). That results in more fat gain. If your goal is just to gain weight, then you can eat all the F+C meals you want. Pizza is another example of an F+C meal. But if your goal is to minimize the amount of fat you gain and maximize the LBM you gain, then starchy carbs (like bread) should be consumed PWO. Honestly, bread isn’t the healthiest thing in the world, so if you’re looking to add starchy carbs into your diet in general, then I’d recommend you pick off of the list of approved starchy carbs (list found on my post on the link above).

Cottage Cheese with some PB??

That’s a great P+F meal, yes!

… or is it bad to have Fat before bed??

Read the Metabolism Repair Plan again if you haven’t done so already. It will answer a lot of these questions you’re asking.

Maybe a grilled chicken salad with olive oil?

Yup, another good P+F meal. Perfect! (grin)

Give me some ideas of what to eat at these meals… cause u added another meal and its gonna be tough for me to think of what to add.

You’ve gotta do your part, too, LB. Read the Metabolism Repair Plan and my post on that thread, and it should give you some ideas.

I would also like to say I drink a lot of water I dont know if that has anything to do with my meals… usually over 20oz per meal (600 ml) and 1 L at breakfast with my cereal, banana, and protein shake… and between meals prob another 20oz (600 ml)

Drinking water is good, but make sure you’re not so full you can’t take in the number of calories you need to take in to meet your numbers.

Are you using www.fitday.com, LB? It would really help you to plan your meals and hit the numbers I recommended.

For my 3 fats in a day would u recommend Olive Oil sprinkled on some veggies maybe with a chicken and salad

You can use your olive oil and flaxseed oil as a salad dressing or poured on veggies after they’re done cooking. You can use olive oil for cooking. You can use flaxseed oil or ground flax seed added into a protein shake.

Peanut Butter with some Tuna and some veggies

LB, put together your whole plan for the day, just like I outlined in my post on the Metabolism Repair Plan, and put it into www.fitday.com. I gave you numbers for protein and fat. So long as you don’t go over on the number of grams of fat you’re allowed in a day’s time, you can have peanut butter.

Cottage Cheese (P) Almonds (Fat) and some veggies

Same answer as above. So long as you don’t go over on the amount of fat you’re allowed to consume in a day’s time, you can have almonds.

the thing is I need to know a good portion size… maybe 1 cup of cottage cheese a handful of almonds and 1 cup of veggies

LB, have you checked out www.fitday.com? It has portion sizes and the number of grams of fat, protein and carbs and calories per portion size.

I’m going to cut short my answers at this point and give you a chance to go through that article I want you to read and my instructions. You also need some time to get familiar with www.fitday.com.

You’re sounding a bit lost and confused. I promise that if you spend some time reading and follow the directions I give you on that link, you’ll be able to put together a plan that looks like it was professionally done! (grin)

Send me a PM when you’ve done your homework and are ready for Round II.

Here you go… this is my diet log of what i eat in a day due to fitday… some of the things i had to change to match the food labels on my food

Chicken, ground 531 30 0 61
Natural Bran Flakes, Post (formerly called 40% Bran Flakes, Post) 343 2 84 12
Banana, raw 109 1 28 1
Orange, raw 62 0 15 1
Apple, raw 81 0 21 0
Milk, evaporated, skim, diluted 99 0 14 10
Tuna, fresh, raw 121 1 0 26
Bread, whole wheat, 100% 79 1 15 3
Beans, string, green, raw 34 0 8 2
Broccoli, raw 25 0 5 3
Olive oil 119 14 0 0
Almonds, roasted 172 16 5 6
Peanut butter 95 8 3 4
Egg, white only, raw 122 0 3 26
Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked 108 1 22 3
Cheese, cottage, lowfat, lactose reduced 168 2 7 28
Lettuce, raw 7 0 1 1
Totals 2273 77 231 186

• 2 whey shakes on workout days 50g of protein and 230 calroies

• 20 oz gatorade 35g carbs and 130 calories

so it comes to 2633 calories 77g fat, 266 g carbs, 246g protien for a 140lb person

Fat: 77 692 31%
Sat: 16 145 7%
Poly: 16 146 7%
Mono: 38 339 15%
Carbs: 240 765 35%
Fiber: 49 0 0%
Protein: 187 748 34%

without my 2 protein shakes +50g of protein
and 230 calories
and my 20oz gatorade 35g of carbs
130 calories

so that adds up: 2311 + 230 + 130 = 2671 calroies

So in conclusion : 2671 Calories
237g of protein
275g of carbs
77g of Fat

is this sufficient at 140lbs to start bulking?

**considering im on my feet all the time (work everyday 8-13hrs) + i hit the gym 6 times a week 5 days lift and 2 days of cardio

Aite i updtaed my diet log by using fitday.com thanx to Tampa Terry… here is the breakdown and the macros

now you people might be able to give a little more advice now that i have these specs

take a look

Breakfast 6:00 P+C+Fruit: 2.5 cups bran flakes, 8 oz skim milk, banana, 1 Scoop Protein shake in 8oz water (699 Calories, 44g Protein, 137g Carb, 5g Fat)

PWO shake 8:45: 30g of protein and 35g of 20 oz gatorade (260 Calories, 35g Carbs, 35g Protein, 0 Fat)

PWO Meal: 10:15 P+Starchy Carbs+Fruit: - 4 oz egg beater (1 cup), 1/2 cup brown rice/oats, orange (292 Calories, 30g Protein, 40g Carb, 1g Fat)

Lunch 1:15 p.m. P+C+Fruit: - 1/2 cup oats or 2 slices whole wheat bread, 4 oz tuna/chicken/turkey, 4-5 oz of green veggies, apple (301 Calories, 30g Protein, 46g Carb, 2g Fat)

Snack 4:15 p.m P+F: - 1/4 cup almonds, 8 oz green veggies, 4 oz lean protein (chicken, tuna, eggs) (471 calories, 38g Protein, 13g Carbs, 31g Fat)

Dinner 7:15 P+F: - 4 oz chicken, 8 oz green veggies, 1 tablespoon olive oil (409 Calories, 33g Protein, 5g Carb, 29g Fat)

Before Bed 10:15 P+F: - 1 cup (4 oz Cottage Cheese), 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter (263 Calories, 32g Protein, 10g Carb, 32g Fat)

Totals: 2671 calories, 77g fat(13%), 275g carbs(46%), 237g protein (41%)

you have to remember the only meal i eat at home is breakfast the rest are packed in tupperware containers…

also i am a slow eater takes me maybe 30-45 minutes to eat beacuse im on the move at work and i chew slow and drink a lot of water during my meals… maybe a problem?

[quote]So in conclusion : 2671 Calories
237g of protein
275g of carbs
77g of Fat

is this sufficient at 140lbs to start bulking?[/quote]

That works out to be about 19 times body weight, which is excellent, so long as you can do it consistently, day in and day out. The only thing I’d do differently is consume 1g of protein per pound of body weight and increase your carbs … sorta like this:

Protein = 140g (560 calories)
Fat = 70g (630 calories)
Carbs =360g (1440 calories)

When bulking you want to get all the protein you need and make caloric increases in the area of starchy carbs because carbs are used by the body more efficiently than protein is.

LB, you wrote me that you eat slowly and drink lots of water with your meal and wanted to know if that’s why you had so much trouble getting in all the calories you’re supposed to get. What I’d recommend along those lines is that you allow yourself 70 ounces of water per day. That’s better than most people are getting, and it’s ideal/optimal for health. You can have extra when you’re out in the sun or heat, but that’s it. Limiting your water intake will leave more room for food.

Remember how I told you that the biggest difference between bulking and cutting is that when you’re cutting, you’ll eat more fibrous green veggie carbs (more filling) and that when you’re bulking, you’ll eat carbs that are starchier in nature (less filling)?

Since you’re eating 5 meals and a PWO shake, here’s what I would suggest.

P+C Meal #1 P=25g, Starchy Carbs +90g
P+C Meal #2 P=25g, Starchy Carbs +90g ← PWO Shake or Meal
P+C Meal #3 P=25g, Starchy Carbs +90g
P+C Meal #4 P=25g, Starchy Carbs +90g
P+F Meal #1 P=25g, Olive Oil=21g (1.5 tablespoons)
P+F Meal #2 P=25g, Flaxseed and/or Fish Oil=21g (1.5 tablespoons)

Try to eat some fruit or some fibrous green veggies at each of your P+C meals. Try to eat some fibrous green veggies at each of your P+F meals. Try to get in a serving of beans

Go ahead and compare what you posted for me to the plan I laid out for you above. You’ll see where you need to nip and tuck and where you need to increase things. Every meal you eat should hit the numbers above. Veggies are extra (above and beyond the 90g of starchy carbs you’re supposed to take in) and so is fruit and beans. So you may want to eat them only in very small amounts.

Have I missed any of your questions? If so, hit me again.

I have 2 Questions for you and i was wondering if you could anwser for me so i can try it 2marow

I was wondering when having my bowl of cereal if making a skim milk protein shake (1 scoop whey and 8 oz skim milk) and then pouring that shake in my cereal would have a bad effect (using that shake as the milk in my cereal) because…

I have read online at T-Nation here that **The whey proteins are easily denatured through heat and pH change. Mixing the whey protein with any other types of food can induce a pH change and slow the
transit time in the stomach through its digestive response to the solid food.

is this a bad or good thing? im confused

1. My Pwo shake is another concern… ill keep this one short and sweet…

Mixing 12oz of water with 1 scoop of whey(26g of protein which is required for 140lbs) and 2 scoops of gatorade powder(about 45-50g carbs) which comes out to 25g of protein and 50g of carbs is a good solution? im a college student so im poor and cant find dextrose in stores…

let me know about the responses thank you!

im going to add sweet potatoes/yams and also oatmeal for some extra starchy carbs… in meals 2 and 3 and see if the extra complex carbs are a good cause

im also going to switch up my workout routine to a 4 day split and 1 day cardio with 2 days rest to cutback and make room for gaining weight… as it will help my bulk

Mon - Chest/Tri’s
Tue - Legs/Abs
Wed - Off
Thur - Shuolders/Traps
Fri - Back/Bi’s
Sat- Cardio/Abs
Sun - Off

im going to be adding more complex exercises such as chin ups, rows, pullups, and more versinos of incline/declin bench and work on hitting the major muscles harder and going for a 5x5 or 4x8 workout

what do you think?

I was wondering when having my bowl of cereal if making a skim milk protein shake (1 scoop whey and 8 oz skim milk) and then pouring that shake in my cereal would have a bad effect (using that shake as the milk in my cereal) because…

I have read online at T-Nation here that **The whey proteins are easily denatured through heat and pH change. Mixing the whey protein with any other types of food can induce a pH change and slow the transit time in the stomach through its digestive response to the solid food.

I’m actually not too worried about it, LB. The stomach is highly acidic, something like a pH of 2 to 3 on a scale of 1 to 14, with the pH scale being logarithmic, which means that ever point or whole number you go up is 10 times greater than the last. Bottom line, all proteins are denatured as part of the digestion process.

Mixing 12oz of water with 1 scoop of whey(26g of protein which is required for 140lbs) and 2 scoops of gatorade powder(about 45-50g carbs) which comes out to 25g of protein and 50g of carbs is a good solution? im a college student so im poor and cant find dextrose in stores…

Dextrose and maltodextrin are cheap if you buy it in bulk. Call a few brew shops … like in beer and wine brew shops. But I’m just as happy to have you consuming brown rice (buy it in bulk; it’s cheaper that way!), sweet potatoes, yams, whole wheat pasta (spaghetti, anyone? (grin))

m also going to switch up my workout routine to a 4 day split and 1 day cardio with 2 days rest to cutback and make room for gaining weight… as it will help my bulk

EXCELLENT move!!! You’re making some very nice decisions, LB!!! I’m really happy with how things are going. You really rose to the occasion!!! I’m still in awe of that last plan with numbers you posted. (big grin)