Layne Pulls 645 Raw Double Overhand Grip (WR)

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

i didnt know pulling DOH was that much harder either. its the only way ive ever done deadlifts[/quote]

At what point in the video do you see a suit?

This guy works out in the same gym that I do, for what it’s worth. He’s traditionally a bodybuilder, having been the junior national drug-free champion. This was also his first powerlifting meet ever. I’m not sure his lifts were newsworthy, but for a natural bodybuilder, they’re pretty damn good.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

You’re comparing yourself to a girl?
[/quote]

Why nit-pick? Stronger is stronger. I also compare myself to pre-teens, special Olympians, and those 70+ years old.

yea layne!

what a beast

[quote]elano wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

i didnt know pulling DOH was that much harder either. its the only way ive ever done deadlifts

What for real? Switch to the alternate and watch your max go up 30 pounds.

BTW I personally only consider raw, actually raw. No belt, no wraps, no nothing but a white t and some shorts. Depending on the federation though, they may consider knee sleaves and belts raw.[/quote]

To my knowledge, a belt is allowed in all raw devisions and federations. The knee sleeves is debatable and iirc all of them require a singlet except for maybe the APA.

Personally, I only consider a lift to be raw when a lifter has removed all clothing, hair, and skin from his body. Of course, what I personally consider raw doesnt matter so there is no point in bringing it up. See what Im getting at here?

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

i didnt know pulling DOH was that much harder either. its the only way ive ever done deadlifts

At what point in the video do you see a suit?[/quote]

i thought the singlet was a suit.

I read about Layne’s experiment with powerlifting and I’m impressed with the results… Damn. I wonder how his bench is doing after the pec tear.

threewhitelights wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

At what point in the video do you see a suit?

i thought the singlet was a suit.[/quote]

Singlets are non supportive and are required by most federations. A lot of singlets are just wrestling suits.

[quote]Rape Weight wrote:
I read about Layne’s experiment with powerlifting and I’m impressed with the results… Damn. I wonder how his bench is doing after the pec tear.[/quote]

Layne’s said before that he’s never going to train flat bench again. His tear was ridiculous.

Some guys are really good at double overhand deadlifts.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[/quote]

mixed just feels awkward to me, honestly.

[quote]Nikiforos wrote:

[/quote]

Some guys are really good with straps…

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Nikiforos wrote:

Some guys are really good with straps…[/quote]

Beat me to it Hanley.

Example FAIL.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Why nit-pick? Stronger is stronger. I also compare myself to pre-teens, special Olympians, and those 70+ years old.[/quote]

lol

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
And WR? Not unless hes 132lbs.[/quote]

I’ve never understood why US federations call them ‘World’ records anyways. Just sounds cooler I guess.

What’s the reasoning behind the singlet anyways? Do you have to have the straps on or can you just let them hang?

[quote]elano wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

What for real? Switch to the alternate and watch your max go up 30 pounds. [/quote]

30 pounds? My mixed grip max is like 120 pounds more than my double overhand.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Why nit-pick? Stronger is stronger. I also compare myself to pre-teens, special Olympians, and those 70+ years old.[/quote]

One of the best posts on this forum

[quote]malonetd wrote:
elano wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

30 pounds? My mixed grip max is like 120 pounds more than my double overhand.[/quote]

do you use straps at all? im guessing not often since you do strongman but what kind of difference is there between mixed and using straps?

malonetd wrote:
elano wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
suit and belt is raw? k

30 pounds? My mixed grip max is like 120 pounds more than my double overhand.

do you use straps at all? im guessing not often since you do strongman but what kind of difference is there between mixed and using straps? [/quote]

Actually, I use straps anytime I do deadlift heavy for reps. I don’t like doing reps with a mixed grip. I work my grip enough separately so I don’t think it’s hurting me to use straps.

As far as comparing straps vs. mixed grip, my 1RM is the same, but if I were doing reps, I could probably pull a couple more with the straps.

If all you’ve ever done is double overhand, I guess your grip might have kept up with your pulling. Have you ever tried double overhand? If you miss a pull is it because your grip fails or your back fails?