T Nation

Layers and the Hyptrophic Periodization

@CT:

Soon after my fatloss Layers are complete I want to move right in to the 3 month layer periodization. Then Splitting those up by strength cycle layers in between…thats a 6 month training program!

Questions:

1. Whats the thought on doing 3 month back to back hype layers with no strength work? Will gains suffer from this?

2. How about doing the 6 month full training routine and place fatloss strength layers in between the hype layer periodization. In essence instead of the full blown strength layers?

Merci

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT:

Soon after my fatloss Layers are complete I want to move right in to the 3 month layer periodization. Then Splitting those up by strength cycle layers in between…thats a 6 month training program!

Questions:

1. Whats the thought on doing 3 month back to back hype layers with no strength work? Will gains suffer from this?

2. How about doing the 6 month full training routine and place fatloss strength layers in between the hype layer periodization. In essence instead of the full blown strength layers?

Merci[/quote]

1. From my experience yes… not so much because of the lack of strength work (there is still the ramp and clusters) but because the HDL work is very hard on the system and while very beneficial over a short/moderate period of time, it can actually slow down gains if done for longer than 6 weeks.

2. You can give the 10-days cycle a try… it was originally detailed in the powerlifting thread. It is superior alternative.

@ CT:

In regards to #2…I’m confused. The 10 days cycle is superior to what? I was planning on doing 4 weeks hyper layers eating massive then doing 4 weeks fat loss layers and repeating through the hyper periodization. A nice balance if you will…

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@ CT:

In regards to #2…I’m confused. The 10 days cycle is superior to what? I was planning on doing 4 weeks hyper layers eating massive then doing 4 weeks fat loss layers and repeating through the hyper periodization. A nice balance if you will…[/quote]

I don`t like that approach… I don’t like playing with nutritional intake too often like that… and really, in 4 weeks you cannot build THAT MUCH muscle so it is kinda short as a mass ‘‘cycle’’

The 10 days cycle is IMHO, the best layer application for mass so far… it builds mass, strength and also spikes metabolism so you don’t need to cycle program every 4 weeks since there is basically 3 mini cycles in each 10 days phase (which you repeat 3-5 times)

@CT:

Oh I see, do the 10 day Layer as opposed to the hyper layers. I understand. I could not find the thread for this original plan. Could someone please link me? I missed this new 10 DAY CYCLE WTF? lol Major change of plans.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT:

Oh I see, do the 10 day Layer as opposed to the hyper layers. I understand. I could not find the thread for this original plan. Could someone please link me? I missed this new 10 DAY CYCLE WTF? lol Major change of plans.
[/quote]

Here are 2 versions.

DAY 1

1. Power clean & push press to 1RM
  2. Clean pull, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Deadlift start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Log clean & press 6 x 3

DAY 2

1. Front squat ramp to 1RM
  2. Back squat, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Back squat from pins just above sticking point start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Farmer`s walk (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
  2. Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Tire flips 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Power clean & push press (1+3) ramp to 3RM
  2. Power clean & push press (1+3) 4 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Power clean & push press (3+1) 4 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  4. Atlas stone practice (10 minutes)

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RM
  2. Back squat 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Deadlift 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps
  4. Yoke (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 3RM
  2. Snatch-grip high pulls, 6 sets of 3 reps with 90% of no.1
  3. RDL 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps

DAY 7

1. Regular bench press ramp to 6RM
  2. Regular bench bench 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
  3. Floor press 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
  4. Viking press (or landmide press) 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Power clean ramp to 6RM
  2. Power clean complex 1 (2 power clean, 2 push press, 2 front squats) 4 sets with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex 2 (3 power clean + 3 front squat + 3 RDL) 3 sets with 90%
  4. Tire flips max distance in 2 minutes

DAY 9

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RM
  2. Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
1 set of each:

• Log clean & press (either go for max weight or try for a max rep set with a fixed load)
  • Farmer’s walk as heavy as possible for 30m
  • Tire flips max in 2 minutes
  • Atlas stones

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

DAY 1

1. Competition-style bench press ramp to 1RM
  2. Bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1

DAY 2

1. Competition-style deadlift ramp to 1RM
  2. Deadlift from pins just below knees, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Deadlift from pins above knees, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Speed squat, 50% of max squat 6 sets of 2 reps
  5. Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
  2. Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Competition-style bench press ramp to 3RM
  2. Competition-style bench press 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
  4. DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 5

1. Competition-style deadlift ramp to 3RN
  2. Competition-style deadlift 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Back squats 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps
  4. Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 3RM
  2. Snatch-grip high pulls, 6 sets of 3 reps with 90% of no.1
  3. RDL 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps

DAY 7

1. Slight decline bench (not from pins) ramp to 6RM
  2. Slight decline bench (not from pins) 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
  3. Slight decline close-grip bench (not from pins) 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
  4. Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Deadlift standing on a 2" block ramp to 6RM
  2. Deadlift standing on a 2" block 4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
  3. Back squat 3 sets of 10-12
  4. Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes

DAY 9

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RM
    2, Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
Meet simulation

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

@cezar: Thanks for that. I finally found the original thread. Where did you get and see the first workout with the Log and Atlas stone ball marble work??

And what can we replace the Log and stone work if we don’t have these? We do have new sandbags thought they may be heavy enough.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@cezar: Thanks for that. I finally found the original thread. Where did you get and see the first workout with the Log and Atlas stone ball marble work??

And what can we replace the Log and stone work if we don’t have these? We do have new sandbags thought they may be heavy enough.

[/quote]
I can’t find it. Can you please put up an link?

@Setto:

Link on my brother:

I thought these 10-day cycles were for powerlifting (push/pull meet) and tailored for HawaiiTunya specifically. CT said these weren’t ideal for muscle (in that thread) but seems like his stance has changed now? I imagine some exercises would be replaced though right… (deadlift and deadlift from podium rep to 1RM/such high freq?)

@smigil:

Yeah i was scratching my head too… It looks like a balanced plan though. Although i would throw some back and bi work in after the normal routine one day each every 10 days.

Otherwise you have the accumulation layers which one staggers every 4 weeks with a 4 week strength phase. But as CT mentioned you can’t build that much muscle in 4 weeks. So i imagine in this case flipping to a strength phase will not stop growth. But keep it primed for the next 3 phases that come up.

Hmmmmm i wonder?

I may just go on a full accumulation 6 month phase system and keep my diet in check. I imagine on indigo and eating clean with full peri i can keep my fat gain minimal and get nasty!

@CT:

How about this approach…Do one accumulation phase followed by one strength phase both hypercaloric, then 4 weeks of a fatloss layer style, then jump back on the 2nd accumulation phase, followed by a strength phase hyper cals… and so on. So one is basically doing 2 months of regular layers then a break for 4 weeks of something else… then continuing.