I know you do not like the conventional deadlift in the layer system, but I would like to keep working on it while trying a new system. Training week would be Day 1.bench 2.squat 3.off 4.high incline 5.off 6.deadlift 7.off, using the latest version of the layer system for the other lifts.
For the deadlift I was thinking of using,
Movement strength: ramping to 2 or 1 RM
Positional strength: double pause deadlift (2" from floor, just above knees focusing on maintaining an arched lower back and the chest up, for 2 seconds) 3-4 sets of 3 reps
Explosive strength: Power clean from the hang 4-5 sets of 3 reps
Muscle strength: bottom-half deadlift pump reps (only going from floor to knees, fast up slow down) 3x 8-10 reps
- Ramp to a training 1RM (maximum without form breakdown or having to psych yourself up before the lift)
- 3 sets of clusters with 90% of your 1RM ramp (if you can’t get 3 reps, decrease the weight on the next set, if you can get 6, increase it)
- Lower back down to 70% and ramp up to a 2RM
- 2 sets of clusters with 90% of your 2RM (same recommendations as with the previous cluster)
- Lower back down to 70% and ramp up to a 3RM
- 1 set of clusters with 90% of your 3RM (same cluster rules)
- Lower to 70% do ONE max reps set, (NOT extended sets
Coach, what would you recommend for the deadlift if strength was the main goal, and your thoughts on the weekly set up as a whole?
Thanks for your time CT