Layer System and Conditioning

CT,

My main goal is to improve explosive power and speed. So i’ve been doing olympic lifts following your layer system. However, while my strength is up significantly with the layer system, my conditioning is down.

What do you think about adding some conditioning work at the end of a layer system session. I recently realised how much I have allowed my conditioning to slip after I did a few sets of a barbell complex and found myself gasping very quickly.

Would it be a good idea to add 3 or 4 sets of say a barbell complex at the end of a layer system workout or would it be detrimental.

If you think it would be detrimental what would be your recommendation to improve conditioning?

Thanks

[quote]corn1514 wrote:
CT,

My main goal is to improve explosive power and speed. So i’ve been doing olympic lifts following your layer system. However, while my strength is up significantly with the layer system, my conditioning is down.

What do you think about adding some conditioning work at the end of a layer system session. I recently realised how much I have allowed my conditioning to slip after I did a few sets of a barbell complex and found myself gasping very quickly.

Would it be a good idea to add 3 or 4 sets of say a barbell complex at the end of a layer system workout or would it be detrimental.

If you think it would be detrimental what would be your recommendation to improve conditioning?

Thanks [/quote]

Barbell complexes are okay to add… for remove the HDL portion of the layers to compensate. Basically the complexes will serve as your HDL, so try to make it as lift specific as possible.

Interesting.

1. Ramp
  2. Cluster
  3. Star Complex?

[quote]TrainForPain wrote:
Interesting.

1. Ramp
  2. Cluster
  3. Star Complex?[/quote]

NO NO NO!!!

The star complex is a workout in itself… that is WAY WAY WAY too much volume… one of the dumbbest idea ever.

By barbell complexes he meant things like the complex in the article from Monday (olympic lift variations for hypertrophy).

Got it. Thanks.