T Nation

Layer: Percentage of Weight vs Reps

CT: So obviously this is my first week of Layers and my system needs to adjust to the new cycles both with strength and meta fatigue. What do you recommend if the subsequent percentages are too heavy to get in range with the HDLs, Max Reps, Max Pump, Speed, etc. How do we gauge where to lower the weight to until we gain strength and get into the correct percentages.

Too heavy and we wont get very far with the HDLs and too light will not be as beneficial. I made it work last night but…

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT: So obviously this is my first week of Layers and my system needs to adjust to the new cycles both with strength and meta fatigue. What do you recommend if the subsequent percentages are too heavy to get in range with the HDLs, Max Reps, Max Pump, Speed, etc. How do we gauge where to lower the weight to until we gain strength and get into the correct percentages.

Too heavy and we wont get very far with the HDLs and too light will not be as beneficial. I made it work last night but…

[/quote]

Are you on about doing clusters with say, 90% being too heavy? Originally I lowered them all down 5% and gradually built them up, until I was hitting say 3-5 on clusters, if I hit over 5 I added, under 3 I decreased.

Was that what you meant?

Oh yeah I got that for the Clusters, but I’m talking for the HDL’s all those sets.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
Oh yeah I got that for the Clusters, but I’m talking for the HDL’s all those sets.
[/quote]

Again you could start at 5% lower if your finding them hard until you “adjust”.

For the Max reps, 15 sec, Max Reps set, if you can hit 8 in your first set, add weight. I generally find the 2 microsets added together land at around 10ish. So I could get say 7 reps, 15 seconds, 3 reps.

The 5/4/3/2/1 changed, because originally it was based on how many clusters you got etc. But with CT periodizing it, ie week 1 3 clusters & 3 hdl, week 2 4 clusters & 2hdl. So that would be out of the window now really.

I think it’s now a case of if you can compete the 5/4/3/2/1 sets, then add weight. If you have to use lower reps, ie 5/4/2/1/1/1 to make up the 15 reps then it could be too heavy, but either way you could just leave it, as eventually you could get the sets of 5/4/3/2/1.

Hope that helps mate

Absolutely mate, thanks for that.

Edit Remove

Edit Remove

[quote]brandon76 wrote:

[/quote]

The load is important for the max ramp and clusters. For HDL you want to eventually be able to use 70% (5-4-3-2-1) or 80% (extended) and for speed use 60%. But the load is not as important in these exercises. For the HDL the key is to get a maximum pump and for the speed it’s, well, to be fast. So you can lower the weight on these layers while you are getting adapted.

@CT: Ah got it, okay.

Would you briefly explain the regular HDL in terms of lets say I use the correct percentage and get all three sets of 15 reps each. Do we then increase the weight or do the other rep scheme you listed. I was confused on the “if you get 17 reps or more each of the 3 sets” directions. Merci.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
@CT: Ah got it, okay.

Would you briefly explain the regular HDL in terms of lets say I use the correct percentage and get all three sets of 15 reps each. Do we then increase the weight or do the other rep scheme you listed. I was confused on the “if you get 17 reps or more each of the 3 sets” directions. Merci.[/quote]

Let’s keep it simple… the goal is to complete all 3 sets of 15 reps. The goal is to use 70% of your max ramp for all 3 sets. Start conservative. Let’s say 60% of your ramp. If you complete all 3 sets, the next workout you can use 65% of your max ramp. If you can complete all 3 sets, you an go up to 70% of your max ramp the next workout. If you cannot complete the 3 sets of 15, then keep the same percetage for the next workout.

@CT: Perfect, that simplifies it. By the way my DMS from the Squat workout last night…I never have had my quads so sore!