Lay Down, Get Up

Want a good aerobic workout w/o ANY equipment of any sort?

Lay flat on the floor. Stand up as quickly as you can. Lay down.

Repeat for at least 20 minutes.

Anyone else ever try this?

No, and it sounds boring as hell, i’m sure burpees are much better

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Want a good aerobic workout w/o ANY equipment of any sort?

Lay flat on the floor. Stand up as quickly as you can. Lay down.

Repeat for at least 20 minutes.

Anyone else ever try this?[/quote]

Each morning every time I press the snooze button and go back to sleep.

[quote]Cymreig wrote:
No, and it sounds boring as hell, i’m sure burpees are much better[/quote]

Are burpees the same as turkish get-ups?

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Cymreig wrote:

Are burpees the same as turkish get-ups?[/quote]

Burpee is where you squat down, do a push-up, jump back up. Repeat until vomiting is induced.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Cymreig wrote:

Burpee is where you squat down, do a push-up, jump back up. Repeat until vomiting is induced.[/quote]

yeah, these are nauseating, always have a bucket ready when u do these

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Cymreig wrote:

Burpee is where you squat down, do a push-up, jump back up. Repeat until vomiting is induced.[/quote]

Burpees used to be my favorite exercise, and I might go back soon. Stand at one end of a room and do 20. Walk to the other end of the room (cell?) and do 19, and continue in this way. They will give you a serious ASS BEATING :slight_smile:

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:

Are those even legal?

I thought this was a Turkish get up.

sounds alot like updowns from football, or sprawls from wrestling.

also sounds alot like burpees but without the jump at the end.

i think i could do 20 minutes of sprawls, but 20 minutes of burpees would make me want to kill myself.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Cymreig wrote:

A turkish getup is done by laying on the floor with a weight held out at arms length and standing up without bending your arm.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Cymreig wrote:

Dont worry about it. You’re too big of a pussy to do them anyway.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Dont worry about it. You’re too big of a pussy to do them anyway.[/quote]

You’re right, once you get past 110lbs. of bodyweight like yourself, doing bodyweight exercises is pretty lame.

burpees are a.k.a squat-thrusts, correct?

Who the hell came up with the name “burpees?”

[quote]Rykker wrote:
burpees are a.k.a squat-thrusts, correct?

Who the hell came up with the name “burpees?”[/quote]

Almost the same. Do a pushup after you “thrust” back, then jump off the ground instead of just standing up.

Do you guys think that perhaps burpees could be a good recovery exercise on non-lifting days?

[quote]gobbledigook wrote:
Do you guys think that perhaps burpees could be a good recovery exercise on non-lifting days?[/quote]

Burpees, done correctly, are going to tax your recovery system. It depends on how many you do, of course.

Try this: Do one burpee, rest for 15 seconds. Now do two, rest for 15 seconds. Work you way up to 20. You now can stop (you’ve done 20*21/2 = 210 burpees). You can now go back down the pyramid, in which case you’ve done 20^2 = 400 burpees.

If you can do the full pyramid, then you are the proverbial man I wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley! :wink:

Hey Headhunter,

If you like this, try the following workout:

Start at a sprint, get up to speed as fast you can. But sprint for only three seconds before you hit the deck. Don’t deccelerate, just eat dirt. Stay down for two seconds, then get up and sprinting for another three seconds as fast as possbile. Count: ‘1, 2, 3, DOWN!, 1,2, UP!, 1, 2, 3…’ etcetera. Do 100-150 meters of this and then rest for like 30 seconds or whatever you need to be able to keep the pace up.

There are a few things that kick ass harder than this, but not many.

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Hey Headhunter,

If you like this, try the following workout:

Start at a sprint, get up to speed as fast you can. But sprint for only three seconds before you hit the deck. Don’t deccelerate, just eat dirt. Stay down for two seconds, then get up and sprinting for another three seconds as fast as possbile. Count: ‘1, 2, 3, DOWN!, 1,2, UP!, 1, 2, 3…’ etcetera. Do 100-150 meters of this and then rest for like 30 seconds or whatever you need to be able to keep the pace up.

There are a few things that kick ass harder than this, but not many.[/quote]

Unless you’re a hollywood stunt double this sounds like a gift wrapped homemade injury waiting to happen.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Unless you’re a hollywood stunt double this sounds like a gift wrapped homemade injury waiting to happen.[/quote]

I’ve gotta agree.

So, I’m supposed to sprint full speed and then just intentionally face plant all 270 pounds of me into the ground?

That sounds more like a Jackass stunt than exercise.