T Nation

Laxatives in College Food?

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a re-post, but if it is, sorry in advance. I’v been reading here for two years and thought I would make my first post worth while. Here it goes:

My college has an all you can eat meal plan, which sounds great for a bulk phase, however, I’ve heard rumors about a secret ingredient to the food. Apparently since the food is mass produced, the university adds laxatives to prevent instances of food poisoning. This, from my experience, seems to be pretty true (don’t ask, seriously). My question is, since the food isn’t staying in my system for very long, will this affect my body’s ability to absorb nutrients necessary for growth?

I am in the medical field, so I didn’t have time to lift, as this semester was my first and I wanted to focus on studying. I don’t have any hard evidence either way. I’ll be impressed if anyone here knows the answer to this.

Cheers

uhhhhh I imagine that would be illegal, no? I never had issues with my college food.

That’s an urban legend at every college across the nation.

It probably has more to do with the high fat content of many college meals - most people pound burgers, fries, and pizzas in the cafeteria. Try getting a wrap, salad, and some soup and I guarantee you will be feeling much better.

Adding a drug as a “secret” ingredient in food? Really, man? You think schools are willing to open themselves up to THAT kind of a lawsuit rather than dealing with students getting the shits for a day or two?

Besides - laxatives work on the large intestines. Being a medical student, I’m certain you can see the significance of this.

edit: besides, colleges don’t cook huge amounts and store it for extended periods of time, nor do they generally under cook things (if they did, THIS would be the explanation for food poisoning, not laxatives). The food that IS prepared is generally served immediately, with any leftovers usually turned into lunchtime specials the following day. They don’t leave chicken sitting at room temp for several days on end before dicing it up and setting up a taco station.

[quote]anonym wrote:
That’s an urban legend at every college across the nation.

It probably has more to do with the high fat content of many college meals - most people pound burgers, fries, and pizzas in the cafeteria. Try getting a wrap, salad, and some soup and I guarantee you will be feeling much better.

Adding a drug as a “secret” ingredient in food? Really, man? You think schools are willing to open themselves up to THAT kind of a lawsuit rather than dealing with students getting the shits for a day or two?

Besides - laxatives work on the large intestines. Being a medical student, I’m certain you can see the significance of this.

edit: besides, colleges don’t cook huge amounts and store it for extended periods of time, nor do they generally under cook things (if they did, THIS would be the explanation for food poisoning, not laxatives). The food that IS prepared is generally served immediately, with any leftovers usually turned into lunchtime specials the following day. They don’t leave chicken sitting at room temp for several days on end before dicing it up and setting up a taco station.[/quote]

If you read the post, you would know that I am a freshman, which means I havn’t studied digestive systems yet, and secondly I do eat relatively clean, aside from the grilled cheese every now and then.

[quote]Zeppelin0731 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:
That’s an urban legend at every college across the nation.

It probably has more to do with the high fat content of many college meals - most people pound burgers, fries, and pizzas in the cafeteria. Try getting a wrap, salad, and some soup and I guarantee you will be feeling much better.

Adding a drug as a “secret” ingredient in food? Really, man? You think schools are willing to open themselves up to THAT kind of a lawsuit rather than dealing with students getting the shits for a day or two?

Besides - laxatives work on the large intestines. Being a medical student, I’m certain you can see the significance of this.

edit: besides, colleges don’t cook huge amounts and store it for extended periods of time, nor do they generally under cook things (if they did, THIS would be the explanation for food poisoning, not laxatives). The food that IS prepared is generally served immediately, with any leftovers usually turned into lunchtime specials the following day. They don’t leave chicken sitting at room temp for several days on end before dicing it up and setting up a taco station.[/quote]

If you read the post, you would know that I am a freshman, which means I havn’t studied digestive systems yet, and secondly I do eat relatively clean, aside from the grilled cheese every now and then.[/quote]

If you read my post, you will see that I HAD to have read yours - I did, after all, answer your question. So, you can feel free to be impressed.

Laxatives make no sense from a medical standpoint because they work on the large intestine… nutrients (and toxins) are primarily absorbed earlier on, in the small intestines.

Laxatives make no sense from a statistical standpoint because administering a drug to a large population will surely lead to more complications than the chance of food poisoning would. Slight bacterial contamination is a self-limiting issue in healthy people; most would flush it out without realizing there is a problem. Greater bacterial growth is unlikely for the reasons I have already written.

Laxatives make no sense from a legal standpoint because the repercussions of administering a drug to individuals without their consent puts one in a worse situation than the off-chance of some students getting sick. Did you happen to sign any documents upon enrollment that attest to your informed consent on the issue of CAFETERIA WORKERS spiking your food?

I’m curious - what is YOUR argument… besides the fact that you feel you eat relatively cleanly? Because ‘everyone says so’?

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
uhhhhh I imagine that would be illegal, no? I never had issues with my college food.[/quote]

And since you’ve eaten pretty much all of it, I’d take that as a serious seal of approval.

[quote]Zeppelin0731 wrote:

I am in the medical field, so I didn’t have time to lift, as this semester was my first and I wanted to focus on studying. I don’t have any hard evidence either way. I’ll be impressed if anyone here knows the answer to this.

If you haven’t been lifting for the past 6 months why are you so concerned about the absorption of the nutrients in your food. I’d be more concerned with your lack of lifting than the quality of your cafeteria food.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
uhhhhh I imagine that would be illegal, no? I never had issues with my college food.[/quote]

And since you’ve eaten pretty much all of it, I’d take that as a serious seal of approval.[/quote]

hahahaha :slight_smile:

[quote]Zeppelin0731 wrote:

I am in the medical field, so I didn’t have time to lift, as this semester was my first and I wanted to focus on studying.

[/quote]

Bullshit. You’re telling us you spent all of your time studying? Never watched TV for 30mins or ANY OTHER type of non-studying activity?

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

[quote]Zeppelin0731 wrote:

I am in the medical field, so I didn’t have time to lift, as this semester was my first and I wanted to focus on studying.

[/quote]

Bullshit. You’re telling us you spent all of your time studying? Never watched TV for 30mins or ANY OTHER type of non-studying activity?
[/quote]

Not to mention he’s a freshman, not in some medical grad program.

OP, if you don’t take some time to lift/have fun in college, you’ll regret it. Trust me. You’re also a freshman, so if you have trouble balancing your workload, you’ll need to work on that, too.

it’s more likely that they are adding fiber to some of the foods.

i just finished my first semester of college…told myself i “didnt have time to lift” and put on a decent amount of fat. then my training partner from back home called me out and i realized that i was a complete piece of shit for around 4 months…theres always time. in college its definitely more challenging to manage your time and fit in lifting but its very attainable. I realized its all up to me.

and yes…dorm food makes you shit. a lot.

probably cause your eating more then you used to

[quote]BigB51 wrote:
i just finished my first semester of college…told myself i “didnt have time to lift” and put on a decent amount of fat. then my training partner from back home called me out and i realized that i was a complete piece of shit for around 4 months…theres always time. in college its definitely more challenging to manage your time and fit in lifting but its very attainable. I realized its all up to me.

and yes…dorm food makes you shit. a lot. [/quote]

I finished my first semester of college… last final was today -.- and I managed something like a 3.3 without doing much of anything…tons of sitting around all day. I was on and off with lifting because I live off campus but theres definitely plenty of time for it and I will definitely be more dedicated during the winter vacation and the next semester.