Lawsuit Against God

Too good to pass up.

Suit against God tossed over lack of address

Judge rules the Almighty wasn’t properly served due to unlisted address

LINCOLN, Neb. - A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator’s lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn’t properly served, because of his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.

He said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused “widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants.”

Chambers has said he filed the lawsuit to make the point that everyone should have access to the courts regardless of whether they are rich or poor.

On Tuesday, however, Douglas County District Court Judge Marlon Polk ruled that under state law a plaintiff must have access to the defendant for a lawsuit to move forward.

“Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice,” Polk wrote.

Hole in the judge’s ruling?
Chambers, who graduated from law school but never took the bar exam, thinks he’s found a hole in the judge’s ruling.

“The court itself acknowledges the existence of God,” Chambers said Wednesday. “A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God’s omniscience.”

Therefore, Chambers said, “Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit.”

Chambers has 30 days to decide whether to appeal. He said he hasn’t decided yet.

Chambers, who has served a record 38 years in the Nebraska Legislature, is not returning next year because of term limits. He skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians.

At least the judge had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Isn’t it obvious that this man is a McCain supporter? Only a retard would file a lawsuit against god, and only retarded, racist, sister-fcuking, NASCAR watching, NRA membership having, toothless, trailer park white trash support McCain.

HA! Stupid hick! Hey, I bet he will file a lawsuit against Obaam when he is elected president for some retard reason.

HA! go fuck your sister/wife some more you racist hillbilly![/quote]

Most intelligent post of the YEAR!!!

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Isn’t it obvious that this man is a McCain supporter? Only a retard would file a lawsuit against god, and only retarded, racist, sister-fcuking, NASCAR watching, NRA membership having, toothless, trailer park white trash support McCain.

HA! Stupid hick! Hey, I bet he will file a lawsuit against Obaam when he is elected president for some retard reason.

That’s quite a generalization to make after reading just that article.
He actually tends to lean more toward the liberal side of the spectrum, so chances are good he’s not a McCain supporter, and probably isn’t part of the NRA. He is, however, an Independent.
He also graduated from Law school so I wouldn’t call him a hillbilly.
As for toothless and white trash, well…

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Ernie Chambers is an independant, very liberal, African-American state senator representing a predominantly African-American North Omaha district.

He was a member of the New Alliance Property during its brief life.

I think its pretty safe to say that he does not support McCain. A left-wing, God-mocking atheist would be much better description.

You’re posts are very tiresome. You are not even a good troll.

This is (science) fiction come true.

Anyone ever read Ben Bova? He has a character “Sam Gunn”, who sues the Pope, who by extension of being the Vicar of Christ is liable for God’s actions on Earth (as the story goes) when his mining operation is ruined ‘by an act of God’ and the insurance won’t cover it.

I thought it was very interesting, on a philosophical level.

The US government acknowledges that God exists- so shouldn’t someone be able to sue him?

Does that make the US government liable for God’s actions?

I thought it was cool. And besides that, did anyone notice that the guy’s been in the state senate for 38 years but is retiriing because of term limits? What’d they set the number of terms at? 12?

Kind of arbitrary.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I thought it was very interesting, on a philosophical level.

The US government acknowledges that God exists- so shouldn’t someone be able to sue him?

Does that make the US government liable for God’s actions?

I thought it was cool. And besides that, did anyone notice that the guy’s been in the state senate for 38 years but is retiriing because of term limits? What’d they set the number of terms at? 12?

Kind of arbitrary.[/quote]

The term limit law of two 4-year terms wasn’t passed until 2000, so he was able to serve two terms after that point.

I think the point is that it’s near impossible to sue somebody who has no address and you can’t find directly.
It’s like suing Osama bin Laden… kind of.

I thought God was omnipresent and could be found simply by asking to be saved? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]forlife wrote:
I thought God was omnipresent and could be found simply by asking to be saved? :P[/quote]

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
forlife wrote:
I thought God was omnipresent and could be found simply by asking to be saved? :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Am I the only one to see a ‘lol’ in that pic?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
forlife wrote:

Am I the only one to see a ‘lol’ in that pic?[/quote]

I lol’ed, but then again, I have a much lower view of humanity than many of the others getting angry with God.

Haha, that’s cooler than that nazi building :smiley:

[quote]shoo wrote:
Haha, that’s cooler than that nazi building :D[/quote]

Nazi building? I think you are referring to McCain’s presidential campaign headquarters.

[quote]shoo wrote:
Haha, that’s cooler than that nazi building :D[/quote]

Nazi building? I think you are referring to McCain’s presidential campaign headquarters.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Makavali wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
forlife wrote:

Am I the only one to see a ‘lol’ in that pic?

I lol’ed, but then again, I have a much lower view of humanity than many of the others getting angry with God. [/quote]

No, it’s towards the middle on the right side. The houses spell out LOL 1

Go figure. God has a sense of humor. And he hates us.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I thought God was omnipresent and could be found simply by asking to be saved? :P[/quote]

Rule 4(e) of the federal rules of civil procedure are stricter than that. When serving an individual within a judicial district of the United States the federal rules require:

[i]Unless federal law provides otherwise, an individual other than a minor, an incompetent person, or a person whose waiver has been filed may be served in a judicial district of the United States by:

(1) following state law for serving a summons in an action brought in courts of general jurisdiction in the state where the district court is located or where service is made; or

(2) doing any of the following:

(A) delivering a copy of the summons and of the complaint to the individual personally;

(B) leaving a copy of each at the individual’s dwelling or usual place of abode with someone of suitable age and discretion who resides there; or

(C) delivering a copy of each to an agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service of process.[/i]

If a church is god’s home, why not leave a copy of the summons and complaint there?

But then you would have to determine which church is god’s home. They all claim to be the real residence, but insist that the others are fakes. I guess the only solution is to deliver the summons to every church and wait to see where god responds.