Law to Punish Parents for Their Kids Bullying

Eh, I dunno. I give parental judgement a lot of leeway, so you’d have to stray way out there to arrive at their degree of fucked up.

I get your point now, mah bad.

Something else to take into account. If your kid isn’t going to be bullied at school, he’s most likely not going to magically start getting bullied via social media. In most cases, social media bullying is just another outlet to reach the kids that already get picked on.

1 Like

Sure, but he’s biracial, when to majority white schools, nerdy, quite, poor performer until high school (had to be held back a year), not athletic or competitive, below average height…

He got into one fight, and kicked a kick down a small flight of stairs via 300 style. THIS IS SPARTA!

Maybe we did something right with him, and he rolled with it. Maybe it’s an odd duck situation and he wasn’t bullied. Maybe he cries at night and we’re awful parents.

I don’t know.

2 Likes

Entrepreneurial spirit crushed… gonna work for the man forever. J/k

Good call though. I wouldn’t let a teenager make “content”. That will stay out there forever and haunt them with job interviews and perspective dates in the future.

1 Like

It’s important to teach your kids how to deal with shitty people. Bullying is a fact of life and it’s never going away. Give your kids the tools and ability to overcome it and they will be much better prepared for life as an adult.

2 Likes

Talking about Social Media. I learned a new word. Sextortion.

This came out from the campus police this week.

SEXTORTION

Over the last several months, the … Police Department has received several reports of sextortion involving students. Sextortion is defined as a form of blackmail in which sexual information or images are used to extort specific demands, often times monetary, from the victim. In most cases, the victim is contacted by the suspect via Facebook and solicits sexual acts and naked images while chatting online with the person, posing as a social connection. The suspect then threatens to post the images on social media sites if the victim does not pay them.

If you have information that could be helpful in this investigation, please contact…

These are college students here so… over my age 14 rule. The email goes on about being careful with privacy settings, but has nothing about how taking and sending such pictures in the first place might be a really bad idea.

Nothing on the internet ever goes away. Teach your kids that. Anything you put out there could wind up in front of your parents, boss etc…

5 Likes

coincidentally, neither does herpes … think about it

3 Likes

The worst bullying these days is done by girls. That’s one way bullying has changed especially when you add in social media. A lot of men give anti-bullying advice based on how things used to be, or at least they remember them to be. Some of these girls bully in such a predatory manner it really can be likened to psychological warfare. And unlike males, who are more likely to have the ability to stop at some point if things get too far and who can even become friends after a fight, girls/females don’t have any internal mechanisms to make them stop. They have tunnel vision, hold grudges forever and have to completely destroy another girl. You can also add that girls today are more physically violent than in the past. And when it comes to violence, whether it be girls or boys, it is no longer one on one. I don’t know how you teach your kid to stand up to a group of bullies who have no problem with stomping him.

Anyway, the best way to get a school to do something is to have a lawyer threaten a lawsuit. Schools fear lawsuits more than anything.

I made a similar inappropriate remark (down to the “Asian kids” part…) in my first week after arriving on my college campus for my freshman year. In the good old days, there was no Facebook or Twitter, so I just said it out loud to a few friends, within earshot of some people who somewhat-understandably took exception; I apologized, everyone cooled down, and that was the end of it. That was a valuable lesson, though, to be more careful what I said and who I said it around (not that it completely disabled the sense of humor, but let’s just say that I only made certain jokes around longtime friends who I knew were 100% comfortable with the content of said jokes). I surmise that in the social media age, I’d have posted my super-not-at-all-original-or-funny joke on Twitter or Facebook as though I was the first one to think of it, would be rightfully skewered, and would have been troubled by it for some time.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to be obtuse but… isn’t that just extortion? Why do we need new words for this? Who keeps making up these terms?? (Your guess is as good as mine I’m sure)

2 Likes

Sigh…Aragon, you are the definition of strobtuse.

6 Likes

Dammit! And I was trying so hard!

1 Like

Hey @zecarlo. I’ll move this over here since the other thread is mostly 2A talk.

Yes to the above.

I think you’re referring to the policy changes that came down from the Federal Dept of Ed during the Obama Era in 2010?

Disproportionate discipline rates based on race or ethnicity got a lot of attention over the past decade. The idea that we suspend or expel a higher number of AA kids, in particular. Think Ferguson and BLM, but extended down to the schools.

It’s problematic because they give zero regard for factors like socioeconomic status or the absence of a father in the home, but schools are now required to keep statistics on the suspension or expulsion rates for students based on race or ethnicity. Ok, right? Except culture does not factor into these stats at all. Neither do interventions, like the fact that the principal or counselor may have met with a kid 10 times before finally suspending him or her.

Schools who discipline a disproportionate number of AA or Hispanic kids are going to be portrayed as having a problem with equity, and will be held up as examples of widespread discrimination. Schools must comply with bringing their suspension or expulsion of minority students down, or face penalties, need to hire expensive consultants, and set aside $100s of thousands of dollars sometimes for staff education to help them not be discriminatory or racist. For example, I believe Minneapolis St. Paul area alone spent several million dollars in staff training, so it’s a BIG deal.

These numbers do not in any way take into account cultural factors in districts like Chicago where you have a very high homicide rate among kids who grow up in certain neighborhoods. The national homicide for kids ages 14-17 is 10 times higher in young Black men than for Whites and Hispanics combined. A small segment of that demographic is effectively terrorizing their communities because they are in street gangs. And every single indicator for behavioral problems will be statistically higher in young men who do not have a father in their life.

These policies effectively assume that these kids some how magically develop into violent felons at 18, but are likely to have normal school behavior or comportment that would mirror their AA, Asian or White peers who are growing up in in the small houses and apartments nearby, often with working class two-parent families. There is no allowance for these very statistically significant cultural differences. Only language about “disparate treatment.”

I worked for several years at a school near Compton, if you’re familiar. It’s a very high crime area near LA. Crips and Bloods. In one of my schools, nearly all the students were being raised in an old Great Society Era housing project. It was common to have three generations of female-run households who had all grown up there. Kids with a young single mother, or often by a grandmother, with at least one parent in prison or both young parents MIA due to legal or drug problems. I saw kids every single day on my caseload who had a parent in prison, and who were being raised by a grandmother. I did grief counseling with kids who had their father shot, sometimes they had witnessed it, and one student who had been raped by an older adolescent. Most of our staff, including the principle of the school was Black. You’d expect those kids to have higher discipline rates than the working class Vietnamese, Filipino or White kids who lived in the surrounding area, often with two parent families. Yeah, too bad that isn’t a consideration, under these policies. There is only racism as an explanation in this moral universe.

True. We usually just go to mediation and settle. I’ve been through a couple of those. Super fun stuff.

We have policies that strongly penalize districts who expel or suspend some very aggressive and violent kids because we’re highly motivated to NOT look like we’re discriminating against AAs or Hispanics. Meanwhile, we began passing zero tolerance policies toward bullying, with mandatory expulsion for some offenses. Some of this is from the state level, but these laws open up the schools to lawsuits if they are unable to protect kids from the behavior of aggressive and violent kids.

The schools are caught between a rock and a hard place.

4 Likes