Law Advice: Landlord Inspection

Hey, I was just wondering what any of you who may be in the know, think about this one thing that is written in my lease for a house in NM:

“INSPECTION OF PREMISES. Landlord and Landlord’s agents shall have the right at all reasonable times during the term of this Agreement and any renewal thereof to enter the Premises for the purpose of inspecting the Premises and all buildings and improvements thereon. And for the purposes of making any repairs, additions or alterations as may be deemed appropriate by Landlord for the preservation of the Premises or the building. Landlord and its agents shall further have the right to exhibit the Premises and to display the usual “for sale”, “for rent” or “vacancy” signs on the Premises at any time within forty-five (45) days before the expiration of this Lease. The right of entry shall likewise exist for the purpose of removing placards, signs, fixtures, alterations or additions, that do not conform to this Agreement or to any restrictions, rules or regulations affecting the Premises.”

There is no stipulation about giving any kind of notice (even the military gave a 24 hour notice when I was in a training command in the Navy).

I know it says a “reasonable time”, which is arguable, but I’m more worried about having to be on alert (fully dressed, and not shagging the Mrs.) at any time considered “reasonable” for an inspection.

Should I demand any more words written in, or does this sound fair and pretty standard?

I would like at least some kind of notice, for my own privacy, and for the safety of the land lord walking into the house un-announced (hey, I don’t know if it’s an intruder).

just remember that no lease is ever set in stone, and there is usually room for negotiation. it will always be presented to you in a “pro lanlord” state, but there is absolutely no reason that you shouldnt ask that certian things be changed in your favor. this is of course dependant on your negotiating position. if there is someone else lined up ready to sign the lease as-is, then it may not be possible. but if they are desperate, then you should definitely ask for a language change, and get a lawyer or someone in the know to help you draw it up.

good luck!