T Nation

Lava2007 Training Log

Today’s workout was kind of a shit show.

7 December 2018 - Upper Body W8D2 Bodyweight: 217.4lbs

Warmup - Glute Complex: Clams, 10sec Glute Bridges, Fire Hydrants, Frog Bridges. + side planks 45sec

Pause Bench 3x3 265lbs (LSRPE 8)
Close Grip Bench 185x3
Barbell Rows 1x10 135lbs
Forearm work ~100 reps each arm
Hammer Curls 30x10. 35x10, 40x10, 45x10

Notes
So, let me explain. My warmup was fantastic. Hips were nice and loose, and I easily could’ve squatted today. My hips and back have been feeling phenomenal lately, and my squat mobility and hip flexor issues are slowly getting better. I digress.

There were no power racks available, which is unusual because we have six of them and most people are either on the machines or by the DBs. So I was sitting down waiting for one to open up when this guy, Dan, asked me if I wanted to share a rack with him. Since I’m occasionally a socially awkward person, I wasn’t able to say no. So I ended up warming up with 135, then 185, then 225 all within about 3 minutes which is WAY too fast for me.

I ended up getting a pain in my elbow, which I looked up and it turns out to commonly be called “golfers elbow.” I read that it usually comes from a flexed wrist during chin ups and weak forearm muscles. Hence all the forearm work. My elbow felt a lot better after the forearm work but not good enough to do close grip.

So I’m drunk right now but I’ll figure out how to remedy this aberration tomorrow after my lift and before work.

I also did a good amount of platform work on Thursday.
Power Clean & Push Press 100kgx1, 80kg 5x3
Snatch Grip RDL 100kg 5x5
Clean Pull 120kg 5x3

I love platform/olympic lifting. I know I already said that my mobility is getting better, but I’m super happy about it. I’m able to bodyweight squat 1-3 inches lower than I could a few weeks ago. Slowly but surely we will reclaim our mobility!!! I’m excited to see where I’m at in a month or two.

Been a long weekend. I believe my pressing volume and chin ups volume are the culprits behind my elbow pain.

I am going to go in tomorrow and try benching. If I have pain, I will turn it into a lower body workout, come home, and reevaluate.

Right now my plan of action is to continue to massage distal to my left medial epicondyle. Repeated massaging is supposed to help break up any webs of scar tissue that may have formed as a result of inflammation. Working my forearms gave me immediate relief on Friday, and I have read that medial epicondylitis can be worked through by strengthening forearm flexors.

It’s also important to perform exercises with a neutral grip, which I’m pretty good at doing, but it won’t hurt for me to pay more attention to that. Will report back tomorrow.

Benched 3x3 275 with no issues in terms of muscular force. If not for my elbow, which began to bother me during the last set, I believe it would have been an RPE 8-8.5 which is pretty solid for the second week of a phase. After that, I tried one set of pause close grip. Got 255x3, again, with no problems except for my elbow. I went on to do forearm work, core work, mobility, and I ran a half mile in 3min 46sec.

Today was lower body. Mainly split squats. 3x10 with 65lbs in each hand, focusing on a crisp, full, and most importantly, even/symmetrical ROM. I did some wall squats, some goblet squats, 135x10 for front squats and back squats. I worked up to 275 for a back squat single, which felt pretty weird with no knee sleeves. I haven’t used my sleeves in several weeks because I believe that maybe they altered my motor patterns and played a part in limiting my ROM in back squats. Did some side planks, too, along with some band work for my glutes and hips.

Not really sure what to do from here. I have an injured elbow, a wonky SI joint, and possibly a slipped disc. I feel a weird poke-like prickle in my left L1 or L2. Not too sure what I’m going to be doing. I don’t have a lot to post about on here because I can’t really do anything. I’m going to take some time off from posting on here.

@losthog heal up soon, buddy. Take it nice and slow and make sure you’re completely primed before you explode into a shower of PRs (because we all know you’re going to eventually!)

@mortdk good luck with your SGSS peaking phase. Keep devouring those calories and let your body become stronger than it’s ever been! You’ll kill it.

@JMaier31 Sorry you have to be dealing with so many stressors in your life at once, man. That really blows. You’re a tough dude. Just keep on working through it all. Even if you can’t see the light of the end of the tunnel, keep grinding. Every day gets you a little closer to easier times than you were the day before. I’m pulling for you big dawg.

Until next time, fellas. I just need to get my mind right and figure out how to move past these shit injuries mentally and physically. Not sure how long I’ll be gone, but when I come back, I expect some PRs from you guys!! Let’s go!!!

If you haven’t completely shut it down Lava. Thanks for your positive vibes man.
Find your way to stay healthy and fit.
Looking forward to be hearing from you.
And finally a very Merry Christmas and happy and healthy New year to you and yours.

C ya when you get back brother!

Heal up man!

Thanks for the post! I know exactly how you feel. I’ve thought about stepping away from here for the same reason (I also probably spend too much time on here).

I don’t know if you’ve seen @FlatsFarmer’s log but his posts about scapular positioning and the effects popped in my head when I read about your elbow problem. He just posted about how the elbow can get sore if you’re forearm isn’t perpendicular to the bar due to a weak or inactive serratus muscle.

As for the back problems I think you’re in the same boat as me with my hip. Hopefully you can find the muscle that’s causing the problem. It can be tricky. I have so many tight muscles that it’s hard to find the cause. Hopefully I’ve found it now and can attack it.

Seasons of Training
I’m trying to keep my sanity by telling myself that it’s possible to focus on different things through Seasons of Training. I can emphasize one thing without completely losing other things. My current season is conditioning and rehab. I think you’ve found yourself in the same place; you just haven’t adopted the conditioning aspect yet.

I hope you find someone to help you repair your body. Good luck! Stop by after the New Year to give us an update.