Lava2007 Training Log

ffs

Sorry you lost all your gains

40-50% off volume for main lifts. 10-20% off intensity. Do low rep sets (2-3) until you hit your required number of reps

50-100% off volume for assistance/accessory. Take loads off intensity until it feels like you’re not even doing enough work anymore.

Don’t get lazy on technique/speed.

Sleep loads. Eat as much as before. Chillax as much as possible. Get laid. Get massages. ez

1 Like

Oh fuk

So my workout should be super short right?

Short as fuck. You should feel like you’ve barely done anything and over a few workouts this should drive you insane with the urge to destroy the weights. When you’re done deloading you be ready physically and hungry mentally to get at it.

1 Like

21 November 2017 - Bench Deload

Bench 225x3, 235x3,3,3, 245x3
Lat Pulldowns 5x5

That is all.

Notes
Today’s workout took me about 20 minutes from the time I shut my locker to the time I opened it. The weight felt heavy but it moved well, so I’ll take that as a sign that my muscles are recovered by my nervous system still needs time off. This is the first deload I’ve had where I could feel that I actually needed it–during the last few sessions before it, I ran out of gas pretty quickly as soon as my main lifts were done. I plan on deloading my deadlifts and eating a ton tomorrow, as well as on Thanksgiving, and then hitting some skwaats hard on Friday. My goal is 295x13-14 which I believe is doable. I also ordered a belt about 2.5 weeks ago and it isn’t here yet, although my SBD sleeves got here in less than a week. They help a TON. S/o to Khangles (I think) for recommending them

I don’t remember this… but will take credit anyways. Controversial opinion but sleeves adds weight/reps… don’t tell anyone I said so tho

2 Likes

I agree 100%. First day wearing them I hit an 8 rep PR (285x17). Once again, you are not wrong

3 Likes

Forgot to mention tho that one gets less rebound out of sleeves with a lot of use because the elasticity kinda goes. If you rich / ever compete maybe buy a fresh pair for comp, maybe a size down if not already at comp fit and keep the old one for training.

2 Likes

22 November 2017 - Olympic Lifts
Power Clean & Jerk 40kgx5, 60kgx3, 80kgx2, 90kgx1, 100kgx1, 110kgx1, 115kgx1
Snatch 40kgx3, 60kgx3, 70kgx1, 75kgx1, 80kgx1, 85kgx1

Foam rolling, stretching… and a lot of talking.

Notes
Went back to high school for a day to catch up with my old throwing coach. I hopped on the platform because why not? I ended up tying both of my PRs from senior year which was weird because it felt easier than it did when I was 18. I’m 15lbs heavier now and my legs are way stronger, which probably has a lot to do with it, but I could tell my form was a little sloppy and my movements were slow. I’ll continue working on my olympic lifts on active rest days every week or so, and see if I can improve my bar speed. Just a fun side project to do while I’m improving my s/b/d. Tentative goals for the end of second semester for the Oly lifts are 130kg C&J and 100kg snatch. If you can snatch more than your bodyweight…you’re a beast.

Also, I’m planning on doing some pre-max maxes. I’m going to take these singles to about RPE 8.5-9, so it’s not a complete max out. My reasoning behind this is that I have no idea where my maxes really are–for any lift. I’ll likely choose some numbers to cap my efforts at (I’m thinking 380 squat, 300 bench, 450 deadlift) because I know I could do a little more weight for one rep, but I don’t want to take the risk yet of trying to squat 405+, bench 315+, or deadlift 485+. Happy thanksgiving y’all!! Time to eat, time to grow!

25 November 2017

My squat pre-max max. It’s good to know where I’m at now. If my belt arrives sometime in the next 3 weeks, I think it’ll help me a lot with my squat. I don’t usually use rpe to gauge my lifts because I don’t use high %s of my max very often, but this felt like rpe 9. If I ever competed I’m sure that this depth would be risky, but I don’t compete, so I don’t care.

300lb bench press. Honestly felt like rpe 8-8.5 which makes me think that another month of eating big and training hard will put me in a great spot to bench 315.

I also worked on my snatch technique today with some hang snatches and snatch high pulls. Going to take tomorrow off and just sleep, eat, and do homework. Will also probably prep some meals for this week to make sure I get enough protein. The numbers that I’m closing in on have been goals of mine forever, and now is not when I want to fuck up and not eat enough or have bad workouts because of my diet.

2 Likes

Just curious, but what’s the logic behind that?

1 Like

@lava2007 you sure you know what RPE’s about?

1 Like

rate of perceived effort/exertion? yeah. seems pretty straightforward

Right, but why would you only use it at close to max weights?

k…

Go On

Which part?

From my understanding, it’s a 1-10 scale of subjective difficulty… so… yeah

1 Like

Just because most of the work sets I do on the big 3 are amrap sets with 75/85/95% of my TM and I think an amrap is supposed to be 100% effort. So whatever the maximum rpe rating is, that’s always what my work sets are at. In this case though, I’m just poking around near where I think my 1rm should/would be so I can set realistic goals in the future and I’m using what I’ve gathered about rpe to do my best to quantify my exertion during those lifts

Alrighty am dun fucking about so get ready for some knowledge

Confusingly enough, there’s actually several RPE based scales, e.g. the Modified Borg Scale, the most researched and common of which are used in healthcare settings and health related exercise. Pretty much it helps fat and unfit people hit an appropriate intensity, often of cardiovascular exercise, for their health-related goals or as an outcome measure in cardio respiratory disease.

For powerlifters and other strength disciplines using these scales to describe how hard any one set feels is inaccurate and not particularly useful. RPE may be all the rage at present but it’s a different RPE to what you are referring. A Reps in Reserve kinda scale is more relevant/helpful.

I present Mike Tuchscherer’s, of Reactive Training Systems, take on RPE:

As it happens even with a different definition of RPE you’ve still managed to make some use of it during rep work to approximate a 1RM. This is only on way to use RPE tho and probably the least useful.

The RPE scale as proposed by Tuchscherer is most effective in that it allows lifters/coaches to plan and prescribe intensity as an RPE and Rep pairing. This is advantageous in that it allows for autoregulation of intensity e.g. training intensity is adjusted for “bad days” or outside gym factors or what not.

For more pls google a combination of the terms: RTS, RPE, Mike Tuchscherer.

3 Likes