Lava2007 Training Log

There’s a big difference in calories. Bud vs Bud Light is 145 and 110 cals. Coors vs Coors Light is 149 and 102. Busch and Busch Light is 133 and 95.

If you drink stuff like Sam Adams then it goes up significantly. You can easily get to the 200-300 calorie range per 12 ounce beer.

The calorie difference in the cheap domestics is small but when you’re like me it adds up. If I’m going to drink one Busch Light then I’m going to drink three. That’s 285 calories. That’s only two Budweisers…

And if you want to figure out which beer has the most alcohol then look at the nutrition label. It will show total calories, carbs, fat, and protein but they won’t add up to the total calories. Alcohol isn’t on the list but it has 7 calories per gram. So if your beer has 100 calories and the macros add up to 72 calories then you have 4 grams of alcohol (28 remaining calories / 7 calories).

I prefer Busch Light bottles or Corona Light in the summer. It’s quite refreshing.

1 Like

Okay, that’s pretty significant. I was drinking about 2 weeks ago with one of my buddies. He bought a 30 rack of Busch Light and I had 11 the first night, woke up and put it in MyFitnessPal and it was over 1,000 calories just for the beer. That didn’t include the drunk burrito and various snacks I had throughout the course of the night.

Truthfully, that is why I started to diet. That one weekend alone is it. I rarely feel bad about things that I eat, but for some reason, drinking 24 of the 30 beers in 2 nights made me feel awful about myself. Awful enough to commit to an 8-10 week diet!! Lol.

My dad used to drink Sam Adams, but about 2 years ago he switched to Coors Light. Which, I found out over the summer, is the worst-tasting beer when it’s warm.

1 Like

I would highly encourage you guys to try some Belgian beers,
Leffe Brune (Brown) Blonde, or the Christmas beer
Grimbergen comes in brown, blonde, weissbeer, and christmas edition as well.
Then there’s the German Paulaner “Salvatore” Very good too.
It’s real beer with real alcohol and real taste :slight_smile:
And I could go on forever.

1 Like

Sounds incredible! My dad is taking me out for my 21st birthday next week for a burger and a beer (or a couple), so I’m going to order something that’s supposed to be delicious. Will report back after that happens!

There are so many great beers Lava, and you don’t have to go overboard with them. Yeah from time to time it happens.
But enjoying a great beer is so good.
Looking forward to the report, look for the double or triple ones

1 Like

And it will put a hamper on your muscle protein synthesis and metabolism

1 Like

Different brands of water :wink:

1 Like

It definitely doesn’t help. There was an article here that cited a study about alcohol and its effects on muscle development. I think the ultimate finding was that it didn’t definitively hamper it, but it didn’t help (obviously). The groups in the study consisted of one that hit the gym and then drank heavily and one that just drank heavily (I think).

My main takeaway was that it was determined/guessed that 0.5 to 1.0 grams of alcohol per kilogram of body weight wouldn’t hurt you. I quickly found out that I could drink 5 ounces of most 80 proof liquors and stay at the 0.5g per kg mark. :smile:

1 Like

This is what I recall reading as well. Obviously, binge drinking (the only kind of drinking I do at this point in my life) is bad for you regardless of whether or not you’re lifting weights. However, some of my best morning sessions ever (a few PRs actually) have come after a night of drinking. First time I benched 300lbs and squatted 405, I was drinking the night before with the boys. I’m not giving credit to the alcohol here; quite the opposite. For all I know, I might’ve been able to eek out another 5-10lbs on each lift had I not drank. However, I don’t think alcohol is as bad as people make it out to be. Binging every night would be a surefire way to throw you strength and aesthetics out the window. But every once in a while is just a pebble on the road to gains. Back to the original point, and what I meant to say: I always feel awful about myself before I start drinking. If we have something planned for Friday night and I know I have to lift on Saturday morning, I feel SUPER guilty for doing that to my body. But, it’s worth it. A night with the boys is more memorable than a 5/3/1 bench session.

This is called living the life.
Unless you’re professional athlete or have had some abuse related stuff, then a nights out is good for you.
Don’t “Drink yourself in the hedge” as we sometimes calls being drunk as shit. But it will happen, every now and then.
I’ve had some of my best running sessions after a night out.
This is NOT science, but drinking involves often salty snacks, salt holds on to water, and you also tends to get lots of carbs during a drinking session. So when you’re young you can absolutely crush it after a night out.
Not so much these days when the years sneak up on you, at least for me, you’ll be wasted after a night out.
Go have fun Lava. crush some PR’s next day.

1 Like

Or you could just throw some sodium into your peri-workout nutrition.

1 Like

Where’s the fun in that?

I’m rarely social these days. I bet my wife and I interact with our friends about five times a year. If I get the chance to see some old friends and I don’t have to work the next morning then I cut loose.

We have our annual work softball tourney coming up in October. It’s on a Sunday. The past two years I’ve had my fifth pint (Coors Light tall boys in this case) by about 10:30 am. Last year I think I drank around 15 pints. It hurts. I pass out by 6 pm. Bud, damn, it’s a good time :smiley:

2 Likes

Nowhere, not fun. There may be some gratification in it though but that, I’ll admit, is a separate thing.

I’m not saying “don’t drink” but it isn’t aligned that well with body recomposition, whether or not you are cutting or adding mass, but each to their own. If I’m going to have a drink I’m not going to take an intermediary path, I’ll have myself an enjoyable dark, rich, powerful brew such as a stout or a rich IPA. Or maybe rum/whiskey.

That sounds great. Cut loose, and enjoy yourself. My life offers the opportunity to drink every weekend, and some weekdays. I can’t financially justify indulging that often. And, I’d get nowhere physically (well, I’d get more fat probably. Can’t out-train drinking that much!).

2 Likes

14 September 2018 - Bench & Deadlift Bodyweight: 214.4lbs

Warmup: soft tissue glute & hip work, frog band glute bridges x20, band glute bridges x20, knee clams x20 each side, band walk x20 steps, sumo pallof press x10 each side, pallof press + twist x10 each side

Sumo Deadlift 10x3 315lbs (40-45sec rest)

Bench 3x3 225lbs (30sec rest)

::alternated with::

Close Grip Bench 3x3 225lbs (30sec)

Tricep Extensions 1x25,20,11,8 42.5lbs

notes

Entire workout took about 40 minutes including the warmup. I was very much in a time crunch, which is unfortunate because I felt great. I felt like I could’ve pulled a PR if I wanted to, but that’s the complete opposite training session that I was going for. I just need to get quality work in.

Next Bench + deadlift session I’ll add 2% to each lift—so I’ll be benching 230 and deadlifting 325 with 40-45 seconds of rest. I was very happy with the way Bench felt with only 30sec of rest. I think part of the magic there is that I was alternating between CGB and regular bench, so my pecs had a decent amount of time to rest. I paused random reps just because I like to do it, there’s no real explanation.

I’ve also decided that I’m going to, for my leg days, do front squats 10x3 beltless + single leg goblet squats. That way I can hit my glutes harder than simple band work every 4-6 days. I’m going to be very cautious with front squats because they’re the reason I stopped Dark Horse. I had a 1rm for front squats and going to full depth just absolutely fucked my back and glute up. I’ll still do my military press 10x3.

I gotta say, after a week or two of this program, I LOVE it. @losthog @mortdk you guys would love it too. It’s fast paced, heavy enough to make you feel manly, but quick enough to get you breathing hard and sweaty af.

The diet is going well. I calculated my maintenance calories in my nutrition class (bodyweight x11, + 30% if you train 3x+/week) and it came out to 3,088.8 for me. That’s perfect, because the bodyweight x15 gave me 3250, and I reduced that to 3,100 just to be safe and that’s what I’ve been going off of for the last ~2 weeks.

I can’t tell if it’s placebo or what, but I think my arms are slightly more vascular now than they were 2 weeks ago, and in the right light I can see the outlines of my anterior abdominals. The ridge between the anteriors and obliques I mean. Anyways, I’m at work right now so when I get home I’ll review this and add on if I forgot anything.

3 Likes

You started at 75% of your 1RM, right?

1 Like

I’m on my way baby. I’ve got at least one more week of this but want to do a deload (reload) then get after the anchor of this program. Another 3

1 Like

looks cool, but to many shiny objects around these days.
I’ve just started SGSS so at least 13 weeks and then it’s back to 531 I guess.
And do be careful with front squats, go with less weight than you should, and abandon if things fucks up.
You could always do Bulgarian split squats.

1 Like

Roughly. For deadlifts I’m doing about 66% of 475 which I believe is my real 1rm, but a few days before I started this 10x3, I pulled a max to see where I was at and the best I did was 435. 75% of 435 is 325 but I decided to play it safe and go with 315 to start. Bench and OHP are both at 75% (bench might be more like 74.3%) and squat was also pretty conservative at 69.4% because I hadn’t back squatted for 2-3 weeks.

So yeah, it’s supposed to be 75% which is reasonable. It’s challenging but doable. There should be no problems on week 1 or 2, and I’m not anticipating any problems on week 3.

Mannnn I’m looking forward to it!! These workouts are quick and fun. Perfect for football season when you just wanna be in and out.

Ahhhh true, true. I guess next time you plan on cutting you should give 10x3 a shot. It’s too fun to not do. I’ll be careful with front squats, I’ll definitely be working with light weight. I think I’ll probably just do my 10x3 at 225 which is roughly 10kg lighter than I’m “supposed” to do. Although I think beltless front squats will be challenging, and 10 sets of them will hurt in a good way when I’m done.

I plan on doing split squats/single leg squats (is there a difference?) for my second leg movement. Instead of focusing on quads, I think I’ll focus on gluteus and hamstrings. I want to start incorporating good mornings again, because those absolutely helped me increase my deadlift. I was 455 in the pre-good morning era and 475 after not deadlifting for 2 months but doing good mornings the entire time. Good mornings are a MUST for me.

2 Likes

How heavy do you program your good mornings? Related reading: 6 Mistakes I Made - So You Don't Have To

1 Like

I started on a linear progression, if that’s what you mean. For the first 6-8 sessions I did 3x10, then 3x8s, then I got hurt again. So I probably got a solid 18-22 sessions of good mornings in and I worked up from 135lbs for 3x10s to 195x6, 215x6, 235x6.

TBH my programming for good mornings was off the cuff more or less. I enjoyed working up to a top set, similar to 5/3/1 towards the end of my good morning sessions.

In the beginning, I started by doing this:
Week 1: 2x10 135, 1x10 145
Week 2: 2x10 145, 1x10 155
Week 3: 2x10 155, 1x10 165
Week 4: 2x10 165, 1x10 175
etc

I continued with 10s until I reached 185 I believe. Then it went more like this:

185x12, 195x10, 205x8
195x10, 205x8, 215x6
195x12, 205x10, 215x8
205x10, 215x8, 225x6

Or something similar. It seemed to work pretty well.

Edit: That was a fantastic article. thank you for linking that

1 Like