Laundry Detergent Endocrine Disruptors

Recently read an article published by [Harvard] (Hormone-Altering Chemicals | The Forum at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health)

This discusses how Endocrine Disruptors are in everyday things we come in contact with. Does anybody know possibly how much this affects testosterone levels and worthy of purchasing an all-natural Laundry detergent to resolve this? Are we adapted to this by now? Anyway of reversing it?

Appreciate it.

There are several studies that show testosterone levels and sperm counts have been dropping each decade in developed countries (Reuters | Breaking International News & Views and Men's Sperm Counts are Dropping Worldwide: Study | Time). Many scientists feel there is a link between endocrine disruptors and these drops.

Is it reversible? Possibly, but some of these compounds may permanently change gene expression. Lots more research would need to be done, and that will take time with the thousands of products that contain these compounds. The forum video mentioned a few databases that rate different products for levels of endocrine disruptors around the house (EWG's Guide to Healthy Cleaning).

I wouldn’t panic, but there are ways to reduce exposure. Never heat up any food in a plastic container; adding heat increases leakage of these compounds into your food. Store food in glassware instead of plastic. Don’t buy plastic water bottles; buy a re-usable metal bottle. Avoid soaps or shampoos containing strong scents or parabens. Soak you fruits and veggies with baking soda (Tip: Do This to Fix Non-Organic Produce). Reduce the amount of canned foods you eat, or buy foods stored in glass instead. Don’t handle receipts much since they are loaded with BPA for some reason. The endocrine society has other suggestions (https://www.hormone.org/your-health-and-hormones/endocrine-disrupting-chemicals-edcs).

I just give my girl a bar of soap & my skivvies. Testosterone levels go up.

1 Like