T Nation

Lats W/Bench+ PWO Nutrition

hey, for anybody who read, and/or replied to my post about training my bench the day after i trained lats, and advised me to switch that up, i’d like to thank you, i mentioned that i was very dissapointed at missing a 290lb bench i switched the days, and now that my lats weren’t tired, i tried 295 thinking I might be able to get it, and it FLEW up, so thanks for that,

secondly, as for post w/o, i always just had pure whey in either milk or water, but then i heard about the importance of carbs post workout so, two questions.

a.) if there are twodiff. types protein a fast absorbing whey, and slow absorbing cassein, do they just mix to make “medium ingesting” or, does the whey get absorbed right away, as though there was no cassein (if the former is the case, i’ll mix with water from now on)

b.) the importance of carbs? why are carbs important right after, is it just so that the first thing your body ingests ISN’T protein, so as to not “waste” the protein? and if so, what could i mix into my shake, i know generally this is frowned upon, but, as i’m not cutting, what about just like a tbls. of straight white sugar? (cheap fast-absorbing)

i know i kind of went on-and-on with this post, but, thanks in advance for anybody who can shed some light on the questions i’ve asked

[quote]btlifter wrote:
hey, for anybody who read, and/or replied to my post about training my bench the day after i trained lats, and advised me to switch that up, i’d like to thank you, i mentioned that i was very dissapointed at missing a 290lb bench i switched the days, and now that my lats weren’t tired, i tried 295 thinking I might be able to get it, and it FLEW up, so thanks for that,

secondly, as for post w/o, i always just had pure whey in either milk or water, but then i heard about the importance of carbs post workout so, two questions.

a.) if there are twodiff. types protein a fast absorbing whey, and slow absorbing cassein, do they just mix to make “medium ingesting” or, does the whey get absorbed right away, as though there was no cassein (if the former is the case, i’ll mix with water from now on)

b.) the importance of carbs? why are carbs important right after, is it just so that the first thing your body ingests ISN’T protein, so as to not “waste” the protein? and if so, what could i mix into my shake, i know generally this is frowned upon, but, as i’m not cutting, what about just like a tbls. of straight white sugar? (cheap fast-absorbing)

i know i kind of went on-and-on with this post, but, thanks in advance for anybody who can shed some light on the questions i’ve asked[/quote]

As a powerlifter I train lats on bench day myself for whatever that’s worth to ya.

Carbs are important after a workout to replenish glycogen lost during the workout itself. Also the first 60-120 minutes after a workout the body will absorb more glycogen into the muscles than at other times.

Awesome, well done!!

The caesin will slow down the absorbtion of the whey, which isn’t cool!

Just go straight whey with some form of simple carb. Glucose is really cheap to buy and mixes well when thrown in with the protein. Some gatorade power would work well too.

I usually shoot for a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein in my PWO shake.

I like to use grape juice since it is a good antioxidant and has a pile of simple carbs. I’ll throw in a couple scoops of whey, and some Twinlab Untra Fuel for the rest of the carbs and some creatine.

okay, thanks, so, i will cut out the cassein, and have post-workout whey+more fast absorbing carbs, just out of curiosity (i don’t like to blindly follow things; although in this case i’ll atke peoples words for it) what is the effect of having a low glycogen level/why do i want to ensure that i replenish it? thanks again

The one thing we all fear catabolism

[quote]btlifter wrote:
what is the effect of having a low glycogen level/why do i want to ensure that i replenish it? thanks again[/quote]

Casein won’t hurt your intake. All you need is one kind of protien w/ carbs and good fats in it. No need to throw a bunch of shit in there, unless your throwing in glutamine. Your body could give a shit less whether you give it whey, casein, chicken, beef, or turkey.

As long as your getting a good blend of protiens throughout the week, you’ll heal just fine. BTW if your not eating enough good foods during the week then you may as well throw your protien out the fucking window. Protien drinks are not a priority, food is!!!

lol, no worries about total food intake, i’ve about 4500 cals a day throught around 7-8 meals a day, it’s just post w/o i’m far too lazy to try to cook anything, that being said, as for type of protein; is it not optimal to get the protein absorbing as fast as possible? regardless i’ll take from what everyone has said, thanks again

[quote]btlifter wrote:
is it not optimal to get the protein absorbing as fast as possible? [/quote]

Yes, it is.

Yes, but don’t get to wrapped aroung the axel if you drink a blend rather then a straight whey. You’ll be fine in the long run.