Lats and Chest Same Day?

I’m trying to get my upper torso all around bigger, and I feel like I could be doing more than one pull workout a week to make my back grow.

With that being said, I’m thinking of doing lats and pecs on the same day: maybe something like…

Bench Press: 4 sets (12,10,8,)
Pullups: 4 sets (15,12,10,10) underhand grip hands shoulder width apart
DB Bench Press: 3X10
Lat Pulldowns: 4X10
DB Pullovers: 3X10

thoughts? could this work?

depending on how the rest of your week is laid out, sure it could work.

[quote]fisch wrote:
depending on how the rest of your week is laid out, sure it could work.[/quote]

day after this I do legs, then off then shoulders/tri’s, then off, then pulls, then off

so

chest/lats
legs
off
shoulders/tris
off
pulls (Back work im guessing)
off

no bicep work, any reason?
I would maybe switch legs and chest/lats around, just so theres 2 off days after back work then 3 after chest instead of the 1 off day then 4. My OCD mind likes trying to do things like that though, but in my mind it makes sense.

Other then those, setup doesn’t seem out of the ordinary.

[quote]fisch wrote:
so

chest/lats
legs
off
shoulders/tris
off
off

no bicep work, any reason?
I would maybe switch legs and chest/lats around, just so theres 2 off days after back work then 3 after chest instead of the 1 off day then 4. My OCD mind likes trying to do things like that though, but in my mind it makes sense.

Other then those, setup doesn’t seem out of the ordinary.[/quote]

biceps on the pull day. and yeah that day’s all rows, pulldowns, and facepulls… other than some curls

Try to do a horizontal back day, then a vertical one

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:
so

chest/lats
legs
off
shoulders/tris
off
off
…[/quote]
biceps on the pull day. and yeah that day’s all rows, pulldowns, and facepulls… other than some curls[/quote]
Okay, so if your split is:
Chest/back
Legs
Off
Shoulders/Tris
Off
Back/Bis
Off

Then I don’t see any real problem except that you’re training back/bis and then hitting back again 48 hours later, so the exercise selection and volume will have to be dialed in to account for the short recovery.

For a slight tweak on this split, check out the first answer in this article from Poliquin:

Just note that you’re doing minimal chest work which can definitely limit “upper torso” growth.

You’re already doing chin-ups and pulldowns one day, and rows and more pulldowns the other. I’d look for some more exercise variety. Like chobbs said, consider row variations on the back/chest day and pulldown variations on the second day.

Last thing, since you’re doing pullovers last on chest/back day, what bodypart do you feel them working the most?

Arnold recommends training chest and back in the same workout, I’m sure it’s fine.

That will work fine, the back can handle a lot of volume. Just make one of the back days lighter, doing vertical pulls, and then do heavier stuff on the the chest day.

for example:

on bench day (I do 5/3/1)

I do Bench 531
Barbell Row 5x5-8
DB Press 5x5/ DB Row 5x10 superset, little to no rest between sets.
Hammer Curls 5x20/ Tricep Pushdown 5x25/ face pull 5x20 triset

On my military day

I super set all my military sets with pullups, and then do lat pulldowns after.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Try to do a horizontal back day, then a vertical one[/quote]

i was kinda thinking that, which one would you pair with chest though?

Chris: I feel like my chest recovers pretty slow, and benching is tough for me in general so I don’t think I’d wanna do chest more than once per week…

but i definitely could do horizontal pulls chest day and all vertical pulls another.

pullovers i feel a lot in my lats, and some in my chest and tri’s

[quote]chobbs wrote:

i was kinda thinking that, which one would you pair with chest though?[/quote]
I did my horizontal pulling day with my horizontal press (bench) and my vertical pull with my vertical push (military)…but I dont know if theres a difference

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

i was kinda thinking that, which one would you pair with chest though?[/quote]
I did my horizontal pulling day with my horizontal press (bench) and my vertical pull with my vertical push (military)…but I dont know if theres a difference[/quote]

yeah i guess that’s what vali is doing too. definitely something i’ll have to consider