T Nation

Latest Time You Take Stimulants?

Just wondering for all users of stimulants. What is the latest time you’ve taken a stimulant and still gotten to bed okay, say around 10:30 or 11pm. And what stimulant was it?
Spike, Spike Shooter, Caffeine-Free Spike, Power Drive, something else?

The reason I ask is I’ve been playing around with this cause I want to get max stim for an 8pm BJJ session but I still want to be able to sleep after.
thx.

Hmmm… The answer and the correct answer will vary widely from person to person.

Personally I’m not very responsive to stimulants. I can drink a Spike Shooter at 8pm, workout, and then still go to bed just fine at 11pm. I can drink a pot of coffee and still get really tired on a long drive.

If my wife drinks caffeinated pop after 2pm she’s up 'till midnight easy.

Basically you need to just experiment on yourself to find out your tolerances. Also- take some ZMA at bedtime and it should help you sleep regardless of the stimulants.

[quote]Scrappy wrote:
Just wondering for all users of stimulants. What is the latest time you’ve taken a stimulant and still gotten to bed okay, say around 10:30 or 11pm. And what stimulant was it?

The reason I ask is I’ve been playing around with this cause I want to get max stim for an 8pm BJJ session but I still want to be able to sleep after.
thx.[/quote]

The general number that gets thrown around is 6pm usually, but everybody’s different.

[quote]Scrappy wrote:

thx.[/quote]

I’m pretty sensitive to stimulants so anything after 5pm usually disrupts my sleep. That said if I have to do an evening workout (instead of my usual 5am ones) then I need focus and energy and will take something.

What it means is that I have to pop 2 x 500mg of valerian root right after my workout to ensure my CNS is calmed enough for me to be able to sleep.

Even if you can drink a whole pot of coffee or red bull or Spike it all the way until bed time it’s still not advisable. Your sleep will not be as deep and your cortisol (stress, muscle wasting hormone) will run high throughout the evening. Caffiene also affects blood sugar levels in that it causes big ups and downs which you don’t want right before sleep; unless you’re trying to get fat of course?!
If you can’t get your cortisol under control you won’t make the best progress.

Try taking 2 x 500mg of valerian root (cheap, from any health food store; all pills literally smell like dog shit so don’t sniff them; just pop 'em) right after your workout. By the time 10pm comes around you should be calm enough to get a great night’s sleep. And there’s no drowsiness in the morning.

This is the one I use. It’s crazy cheap - $7 US for 250 caps. And the quality is bang on!

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Hmmm… The answer and the correct answer will vary widely from person to person.

Personally I’m not very responsive to stimulants. I can drink a Spike Shooter at 8pm, workout, and then still go to bed just fine at 11pm. I can drink a pot of coffee and still get really tired on a long drive.

If my wife drinks caffeinated pop after 2pm she’s up 'till midnight easy.

Basically you need to just experiment on yourself to find out your tolerances. Also- take some ZMA at bedtime and it should help you sleep regardless of the stimulants.[/quote]

I’m pretty much the same. I have coffee daily (1-2 cups) and its effect has diminished. whenever i’ve used an e/c stack, i’d take it at the latest around 8pm…no problems getting to sleep. I think 6pm is a good limit.

valarin root give acid trip type dreams and real vivid too