T Nation

Latest Articles on Supplements?

After a year or so off I’m getting back into weight training. My goal is to add size (6’ tall, 205lbs, 10%bf). I remember what works for diet and training wise but I want to update myself on some basic supplements. I read Thib’s Supplements for Newbies and thought it was great. Does anyone know of other articles like this that give a comprehensive overview and possibly a little more recent?

For frick sake.

Whats with the craze in supplements lately?

If your diet isn’t in place, you have no need for supplements. Period. Plain and simple.

Many people have achieved great results without ANY supplements.

I’m not saying you’re a supplement whore or anything, but judging from your post, I can see you gravitating towards excessive supplement use and focusing on them.

Instead you should look up good nutrition articles instead.

To tell you the truth, this little quiz will get you 90% of the way:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/advanced_nutrition.htm

My post may have been a little misunderstood. By supplements I mean whey protein (I currently use 50g of ON Whey Gold Standard peri-workout) with some carbs (20g dextrose + 20g maltodextrin peri-workout). Normally in muscle gaining, I’d take have some cottage cheese with 2g fish oil before bed but I’ve been considering using a casein protein to reduce the carbs before bed. i also take ZMA at the same time.

This has really helped with my quality of sleep. I even get “ZMA dreams” really long and intense dreams. Per Thib’s article I’m considering taking 20g whey protein with breakfast ( generally eggs + banana + blue berries). It’s cool to read that 1g of Vitamin C prior to working out can help but it’s not practical for me unless someone can prove to me it will have a significant effect. If you still think I’m a whore that’s cool because I also realized in Thib’s article you are what you eat :slight_smile:

I’m looking to update my knowledge. I enjoy digging through T-Nation articles but I know I’ve fallen behind on my reading. I also know I can read every article so I’m asking if anyone has read any good articles lately on overall solid supplements (recommended dosage/timing/product/etc).

Check out the Anaconda Protocol.

[quote]jet9153 wrote:
I’m looking to update my knowledge. I enjoy digging through T-Nation articles but I know I’ve fallen behind on my reading. I also know I can read every article so I’m asking if anyone has read any good articles lately on overall solid supplements (recommended dosage/timing/product/etc).[/quote]
Really, the Anaconda Protocol (and the 3rd Law of Muscle behind it) that Brian linked to is the most current and effective way of handling protein, carbs, and other nutrients specifically around training time. Definitely start there.

You also might want to check out:
Supplements vs. Whole Foods:

TMuscle Twitter: The Magic Five:

“D” is for Doping: