T Nation

Lateral raise grip

When people show you how to do lateral raises they tell you to lift so your palms are basically facing the floor at the top of the move (like you’re pouring water), but i’m wondering: what if you hold the bells like hammers and end with your thumbs pointing up (pinkies toward the floor). My arm composition (long and lanky) seems to favor holding them this way, but i’m wondering if i’m compromising the development of my side delts.

The way I look at this is a simple change in emphasis of the secondary movers. With palms down, your humerus is internally rotated which will shorten the fibers of the clavicular head of the pec, causing them to be “occupied” and assist the movement less. This causes your external rotators to start at a more optimal contraction length allowing them to assist more with humerus abduction. With either grip, your medial delt tension will be highest between 30 and 60 degrees of humerus abduction, the supraspinatus carries the load for the first 30 degrees, then the traps kick in past about 60. So if your medial delts are suffering, you may want to try the following:
A1) Standing DB side raise (full range)
Neutral (hammer) grip Pause 3 times for 3 seconds each on the lowering phase between 30 and 60 degrees.
2x6-8
A2) Tellekinetic DB side raise…check the archives for a description, but this is a killer that overloads the range you want.
2x8-10 (4121)

Hope this helps.

You’re shifting the load to the anterior delts. You should actually work on pronating the hands a bit past parallel to the floor at the top of the motion.

Shirtbuster: Go back to issue 225 and read the “Lateral Thinking For Wide Shoulders” article by John Paul Catanzaro. There are several positions that can be utilized for optimal development for lateral raises. Plenty of detailed/researched factual information.

thanks so much guys. I’ll check out the telekinetic move and the article you mentioned. get HUGE, boys!