T Nation

Lateral Leg Exercises

Hi Coach Thib, just wanted to get your thoughts on lateral leg exercises. I feel that I should be incorporating them in my workout to work in a different plane of motion. Do you find them beneficial and if you do what are some good exercises?

[quote]seank22 wrote:
Hi Coach Thib, just wanted to get your thoughts on lateral leg exercises. I feel that I should be incorporating them in my workout to work in a different plane of motion. Do you find them beneficial and if you do what are some good exercises?[/quote]

I’ll be honest I’ve never included them in my workouts or that of my clients. I never felt anything good in the muscles when doing them and prefer to spend more training money on exercises that I feel stimulate the muscles more. I believe that if all the muscles are strong enough you should be strong in all planes of motion. if you want to be efficient at applying that strength in different planes/movements, do agility work.

Thanks for your input! What are some of your favorite agility exercises?

[quote]seank22 wrote:
Thanks for your input! What are some of your favorite agility exercises?[/quote]

You will find me boring, but I don’t have favorite exercises. I always select the exercises that will better address the needs of an individual based on his needs; which are influenced both by hi body/capacities and the need of his sport.