Lateral Head of the Deltoid

The standard protocol for training shoulders nowadays is doing overhead presses, lateral raises and rear delt flyes or face pulls for training the heads respectively.

I was wondering whether there are any other exercises that train the lateral head of the deltoid effectively? I really dislike doing lateral raises, although I love doing military presses and face pulls.

Any input is appreciated.

Are you serious? lateral raises really dont take that much time/effort

If you don’t like lateral raises, you can pretty much count out ever building any kind of lateral head worth appreciation.

Seriously.

[quote]labean wrote:
The standard protocol for training shoulders nowadays is doing overhead presses, lateral raises and rear delt flyes or face pulls for training the heads respectively.

I was wondering whether there are any other exercises that train the lateral head of the deltoid effectively? I really dislike doing lateral raises, although I love doing military presses and face pulls.

Any input is appreciated.[/quote]

one armed db upright rows, there is a vid of vince gironda doing them on youtube best pump ever.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:

one armed db upright rows, there is a vid of vince gironda doing them on youtube best pump ever.[/quote]

I was gonna recommend these. Fantastic exercise.

OP, you could try doing alternating lateral raises, or single-arm lateral raises… just for a change of pace.

partial laterals, also the sequence you put in your original post is not what JM does or has his people do…

lateral/posterior delt > anterior

[quote]labean wrote:
The standard protocol for training shoulders nowadays is doing overhead presses[/quote]

Nop… not here… not anymore… not ever again!

try the swing method mentioned in this article

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:
The standard protocol for training shoulders nowadays is doing overhead presses[/quote]

Nop… not here… not anymore… not ever again!

[/quote]

have been meaning to ask you how much of a difference has it made removing all shoulder pressing and focusing only on raises.

[quote]PJS2010 wrote:
Are you serious? lateral raises really dont take that much time/effort[/quote]
I was asking for alternatives/more effective exercises. I don’t mind doing them per se, I just dislike them as an exercise.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:

one armed db upright rows, there is a vid of vince gironda doing them on youtube best pump ever.[/quote]

could you link to that please mate? I had a look for it but couldn’t find it

Push overhead variations- most anterior head
Bent over row to neck/ Face pull - most posterior head
Upright row wide grip - most lateral head

Lateral raises - medial head
Rear raises - posterior head
Frotn raises- anterior delt

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:

could you link to that please mate? I had a look for it but couldn’t find it[/quote]

Jim Cordova has an excellent video on this.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:

[/quote]

Do these bother your shoulders?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:

[quote]labean wrote:

[/quote]

Do these bother your shoulders?[/quote]

The irony is that they do not!

My right shoulder is really fucked, but these do not hurt it while traditional laterals do! I think because there’s no front delt involvement (or any assistance from the biceps… which in my case is the reason for my shoulder pain).

thanks dwarfie, those look wicked. Very little variety in my lateral delt work.

I love Jim Cordova! Although he stole my idea once. I thought I had discovered the ultimate way to do triceps extensions, then someone on here linked to a video of him doing it. Bastard must’ve seen me doing them and been like “Woah I want arms like that guy”

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I love Jim Cordova! Although he stole my idea once. I thought I had discovered the ultimate way to do triceps extensions, then someone on here linked to a video of him doing it. Bastard must’ve seen me doing them and been like “Woah I want arms like that guy”[/quote]

Take it as a compliment. Last time I was out in Colorado, Thibs saw something I had the guys doing and told me that he liked my approach and was gonna steal it and call it his own. I was ecstatic! -lol

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I love Jim Cordova! Although he stole my idea once. I thought I had discovered the ultimate way to do triceps extensions, then someone on here linked to a video of him doing it. Bastard must’ve seen me doing them and been like “Woah I want arms like that guy”[/quote]

Take it as a compliment. Last time I was out in Colorado, Thibs saw something I had the guys doing and told me that he liked my approach and was gonna steal it and call it his own. I was ecstatic! -lol

S[/quote]

hit that guy up for royalties Stu! He’s stolen your intellectual property

BB and DB upright rows, behind the neck overhead press, dumbell overhead press with elbows out and palms forward, external rotations

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

HAHA! Same here! I thought I invented the single arm upright row (I do certain things out of necessity to avoid pain in my shoulders). Then I saw his video by accident. I actually felt vindicated at my choice of exercise because, well if CORDOVA’S doing it, it MUST be good!

lol

Actually, I do mine a bit differently. Instead of pulling straight up, I kind of row it out and up.