T Nation

Lateral Deltoids

Hey i wanna ask a question about lateral deltoids, i know alot of effective exercises to increase them, but i would like to know what are the one that have the least trap involvement. i havent got wide shoulder girdle and my clavicle is parallel to the floor so traps are bigger by default. i would like to widen my shoulders but not traps anymore.

any help is welcomed

I have the same problem. I’ve found shortening my ROM on dumbbell laterals helps.

A good lateral variation that seems to minimise trap involvement is behind the back cable laterals

hmmm interesting. i remembered bret contreras had a series of articles where he measured
mean and peak activity in muscles and cable lateral raises where on top for traps

If you can do them correctly, it might be worth trying heavy partial reps a al John Meadows. I also like lean-away laterals, feels like there is less trap involvement for me atleast.

will have to try both next workout, thanx

[quote]daracv wrote:
hmmm interesting. i remembered bret contreras had a series of articles where he measured
mean and peak activity in muscles and cable lateral raises where on top for traps[/quote]

yeah, to be honest I don’t really agree with any of the results of Bret’s EMG data. Just doesn’t match up with my own personal experience

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I have the same problem. I’ve found shortening my ROM on dumbbell laterals helps.[/quote]
Lots of people seem to like short ROMs, especially kicking up the reps “Meadows style”.

I actually get a better feeling with the opposite, a full ROM and holding the peak contraction for a legit one-one-thousand count. Legit as in, both arms parallel to the ground and holding that position with zero movement for a deliberate pause, not just a quick half-beat, before lowering.

Bumping up the TUT with that contraction isn’t so much about taking the traps out of the movement, but increasing the actual work done by the delts.

Your best solution would be to improve your mmc because this seems to be the root of your problem. I have no doubt that you will be letting your traps take over no matter what exercise variation you use when you get to a weight that’s challenging enough.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Your best solution would be to improve your mmc because this seems to be the root of your problem. I have no doubt that you will be letting your traps take over no matter what exercise variation you use when you get to a weight that’s challenging enough.[/quote]

which brings me to my next point: seems to always be the case that people use too heavy a weight on laterals and that always makes them rely on traps

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I have the same problem. I’ve found shortening my ROM on dumbbell laterals helps.[/quote]
Lots of people seem to like short ROMs, especially kicking up the reps “Meadows style”.

I actually get a better feeling with the opposite, a full ROM and holding the peak contraction for a legit one-one-thousand count. Legit as in, both arms parallel to the ground and holding that position with zero movement for a deliberate pause, not just a quick half-beat, before lowering.

Bumping up the TUT with that contraction isn’t so much about taking the traps out of the movement, but increasing the actual work done by the delts.[/quote]

Yeah I find too low and it makes my rotator cuff feel funny (think I read somewhere that the first few degrees of a lateral raise is all infraspinatus anyway, which might explain that). It’s one of the reasons I don’t do those heavy partials people do. Makes my shoulders feel awful.

I do the same pause at the top thing you do, too.

Yep partials first and foremost…

yeah i did those partials before, but i did them on a bench so cant cheat. is that the better way of doing them or is it better standing with a little cheat?

I like these as well as the above suggestions: