T Nation

Late Workout + Late Meal ?!?!?!

Hi All,
I’ve been reading (On T Nation) that eating too close to bedtime will alter my equatorial geography…

Now the problem is that my workout finishes by 8 PM. I get home by 9 and (thankfully the cook keeps the food ready) finish dinner (full of carbs, protein and a little fat) by 9:30 PM. All I"m doing after that is keeping my eyelids pried open till 11:30 so I can sleep without fear of getting fat.

And then I have to wake up early morning for work and am sleepy all day. This is driving me nuts. Should I switch to a morning workout instead?

TIA for any help :slight_smile:

If evening training works best for you, keep doing it and have a good meal afterward.

You’ll also benefit more from getting to bed earlier than staying up and worrying about getting fat.

I used to train at night. When I did I followed up with a P/C meal and noticed no more fat gains than if I had lifted in the AM. In my opinion if your food is clean and calories where they should be you will have no problems. My problem was I was so energized I had trouble sleeping.

i feel best lifting around 6 pm. if i’m doing squats or dls i can’t sleep till about 3am. i have to do those in the morning. i’m not as energized for the workout in the morning, but i feel i recover better because i’m eating food all day long without the fast from sleeping. plus i fall asleeep right away. so i trade feeling more energized @ my workout for better nutrition and sleep. i have no opinion on the fat gain.

[quote]swivel wrote:
i feel best lifting around 6 pm. if i’m doing squats or dls i can’t sleep till about 3am. i have to do those in the morning. i’m not as energized for the workout in the morning, but i feel i recover better because i’m eating food all day long without the fast from sleeping. plus i fall asleeep right away. so i trade feeling more energized @ my workout for better nutrition and sleep. i have no opinion on the fat gain. [/quote]

I workout late and I havent been sleeping well at all either…im trying to figure out if its the workout or im just thinking too much.

[quote]AG1 wrote:
I used to train at night. My problem was I was so energized I had trouble sleeping.[/quote]

I take a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class 2x a week from 7:30-8:30 p.m. and find that I have trouble sleeping on those nights, too, because I’m so energized from the class…other than that, I don’t notice a difference in training in the morning than at night.

[quote]bronx_marauder wrote:
Hi All,
I’ve been reading (On T Nation) that eating too close to bedtime will alter my equatorial geography…

Now the problem is that my workout finishes by 8 PM. I get home by 9 and (thankfully the cook keeps the food ready) finish dinner (full of carbs, protein and a little fat) by 9:30 PM. All I"m doing after that is keeping my eyelids pried open till 11:30 so I can sleep without fear of getting fat.

And then I have to wake up early morning for work and am sleepy all day. This is driving me nuts. Should I switch to a morning workout instead?

TIA for any help :)[/quote]

If you’re training intensely at night, you shouldn’t worry about eating carbs or eating before bed, you’re body needs the calories. If you want to give your body something else other than carbs and protein to metabolize all night get up in the middle night and make a shake. For example, some protein mixed with olive oil and water. Whatever you want.

Thanks a lot guys.
Thats exactly what I needed to hear. I mean, I logically concluded it myself that the usual dont eat late rule won’t apply 'cause I have just been through a gruelling workout.

I just needed to hear it from someone else.
Thanks again :slight_smile: