T Nation

Late Simple Carbs at Bedtime.

Due to work commitments I will over the coming few weeks be training very late in the day ( somewhere close to midnight ). I dont think this will reflect to badly on how I will be able to sleep other than the fact that post workout it is my usual habit to ingest a couple of scoops of whey protein in a simple carb drink like Gatorade.

Will it be OK to take this post workout drink so close to bed time? I have heard so much being made recently on reducing carbs late at night.

Also is there any scientific reasoning behind keeping your training at more reasonable hours?

Hey, steven alex! Good question. Not only should you get in a PWO drink following resistance training, you should still have your starchy-carb containing meal following your PWO drink. A 2:1 ratio of starchy carbs to protein is a good number, depending on your goals.

Are you bulking or cutting?

Even though the body is less insulin sensitive later in the day, resistance training offsets that. You still need to bring cortisol levels down and refill muscle glycogen, no matter what time of day you work out. So long as the rest of your day’s diet is dialed in, you’ll be fine.

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
Hey, steven alex! Good question. Not only should you get in a PWO drink following resistance training, you should still have your starchy-carb containing meal following your PWO drink. A 2:1 ratio of starchy carbs to protein is a good number, depending on your goals.

Are you bulking or cutting?

Even though the body is less insulin sensitive later in the day, resistance training offsets that. You still need to bring cortisol levels down and refill muscle glycogen, no matter what time of day you work out. So long as the rest of your day’s diet is dialed in, you’ll be fine.[/quote]

I agree 90% as usual with TT except the meal following I dont feel it is THAT important to have a starchy carb meal following the drink. Can you yes but I dont think you need to as long as your having carbs the nmext day like your oats etc yioull be more than ready by the time your next exercise bout rolls araound.

i instead would chose the mael that allows you to sleep the best etc. Some that may be a carby meal others a nice dose of fats and protien.

Phill

if you’re going straight to bed after you train then whack down the whey then some slower digesting protein as close to bed as possible.

Phill, does having a starchy carb meal P+C meal PWO (late at night/last meal of the day) cause you a problem with getting to sleep?

Definitely have a PWO drink after training regardless of when you train. I also recommend a carb abd protein-rich meal following this, even if directly prior to bed, unless you are very carb sensitive.

I’ll wake up starving a few hours after going to bed if I don’t have enough carbs following training in the evening.

Phill, does having a starchy carb meal P+C meal PWO (late at night/last meal of the day) cause you a problem with getting to sleep? [/quote]

Yes, it does Ill sweat like a pig heart beating etc starchy and simple carbs really get me JACKED lol

Not being used to them even with all my fruit consumption etc when I have sugars starchy carbs etc I react big time Im much better oing with a mixed meal good carbs from lower GI/II fruits veggies and good F and of course P.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Yes, it does Ill sweat like a pig heart beating etc starchy and simple carbs really get me JACKED lol

Not being used to them even with all my fruit consumption etc when I have sugars starchy carbs etc I react big time Im much better oing with a mixed meal good carbs from lower GI/II fruits veggies and good F and of course P.[/quote]

Interesting. It just goes to show that even with “good” advice, one size does not fit all!

Phill wrote:

Not being used to them even with all my fruit consumption etc when I have sugars starchy carbs etc I react big time Im much better oing with a mixed meal good carbs from lower GI/II fruits veggies and good F and of course P.

Interesting. It just goes to show that even with “good” advice, one size does not fit all![/quote]

LOL yup we gotta find what works for us in the real wasnt saying it was bad advice and me I train in the AM so I can have my second PWO meal with starchy carbs but if at night No cant do it unless I want to be up tossin turning in a puddle of sweat.

LOL

Phill

Just my two cents:

It doesn’t cause me any problems with falling asleep, but if I’m trying to cut, it definitely, DEFINITELY causes problems with leaning out. I’m sure it varies somewhat from person to person, but if undergoing a cutting phase, I would strongly recommend against a starchy carb-containing meal after your post-workout Surge, especially if it’s at night.

(But that’s just me). :wink:

Phill, does having a starchy carb meal P+C meal PWO (late at night/last meal of the day) cause you a problem with getting to sleep? [/quote]