T Nation

late night nutrition and workouts

i need to know what the 2nd shifters eat.
i work 2nd shift and workout from 11:15 p.m. until 12:15 a.m., i go to sleep at around 4:00 a.m.
my question is: what should i eat between 12:15 a.m. and 4:00 a.m.? my goal is to lose bodyfat and try to conserve my existing muscle mass.
i’m mainly concerned with carb intake. should i only consume carbs post work- out? or not at all?
thank you for your time!!

whatever you’d eat if you worked out between 6-7 and went to bed at 11, there’s no difference

This is my comment for this thread…

Dark Assassin: There’s a big difference between your metabolism at different times of the day. It’s been shown that metabolic activity decreases in response to dark/light cycles…and is less dependent on sleep/wake cycles. As a result, during the night your metabolism is slower than during the day, regardless that your sleep/wake cycle is turned 180 degrees. This means that there must be some type of adjustment required in dietary considerations. What they are I do not know, and would be interested to find out myself.

thank you dark assassin, but i have NO idea what ND is talking about (breakfast?), i workout at 11:15 p.m. until 12:15 a.m. (after i get off of work), and then i fell asleep at around 4:00 a.m., i wake up at 12:00 p.m. eat and go to work.
i’m concerned with late night feedings and how my body will react, i know the human body starts to “slow” down after approx. 9:00 p.m., i want to lose some fat and conserve muscle.