Late Night Hunger Pains

Menshealth said eat something high in fiber like veggies or whatnot, as a means of filling up, yet not loading up on late night calories or carbs. It also mentioned yogurt, but in my current shape I’d blow through about 6 yogurts = assload of sugar late at night. I’ve tried googling and the hits are pretty useless. I’m not a 14 year old Emo and I’m not looking for a late night fast food restaurant!

Where I live (remote AFB) the veggies are usually marinated in butter and in tough shape at best to start with. I’ll keep horkin em down, but I’m curious as to what you guys do.

Cottage cheese.

I eat cottage cheese in the middle of the night if I happen to wake up. Sometimes I’ll eat it before bed if I hadn’t eaten in a while. Mixing milled flax seed in would add fiber.

A 4 oz (113 g) serving has approximately 120 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated), 3 g carbohydrates, and 14 g protein.

Its hunger pangs not hunger pains.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Its hunger pangs not hunger pains.[/quote]

You don’t understand. It hurts him.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
PGA wrote:

You don’t understand. It hurts him.[/quote]

yea… failed attempt at humor, heh. cottage cheese, ugh. do they make flavored cottage cheese? what can you add to the shit?

Cottage cheese is great for a late night food. It’s got casein protein which breaks down slowly and prevents catabolism throughout the night.

So, if you can’t stand the cottage cheese taste (I’d say get over it) You can mix pineapple with it to cut the taste. You can also try a supplement with casein, and not whey protein. Muscle milk comes to mind, but it’s really expensive.

I hear eggs are a good night time food for this same purpose. Maybe scramble 4 eggs, or hard boil some and have them ready to eat.

[quote]eclypse wrote:
cottage cheese, ugh… what can you add to the shit?[/quote]

A spoon. Four ounces is only half a cup. It’s not that bad. Suck it up.

what I read in a mens fitness magazine is some 100% jam, mixed with cottage cheese adds some good flavor. I’ve done it a few times - you get protein and a fruit source. It’s hard to look at when u mix it though - purple and white, dont exact look too appetizing. best of luck

[quote]eclypse wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
PGA wrote:

yea… failed attempt at humor, heh. cottage cheese, ugh. do they make flavored cottage cheese? what can you add to the shit?[/quote]

A small handful of Cheerios to give it crunch and raisins or blueberries if they are in season.

It violates the no carb rules but it makes it much more palatable.

Actually just ate some pineapple cottage cheese - it comes like that, I didn’t mix pineapples in. I believe it was 320 calories worth, 32g carbs, 48g protein, minimal fat.

Try 6 hard-boiled eggs.

I often have 400-600 calories of peanuts (or almonds) before bed. I don’t know if this is a health conscious choice though. Never asked on these forums. It’s very cheap though, as are eggs.

Beef jerky and or peanuts. I usually have a protein shake before bed and that seems to help me.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
PGA wrote:

You don’t understand. It hurts him.[/quote]

He could move his feet so his stomach won’t hurt. He’d be kinda like Jesus, but not in a sacreligious way.

[quote]eclypse wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
PGA wrote:

yea… failed attempt at humor, heh. cottage cheese, ugh. do they make flavored cottage cheese? what can you add to the shit?[/quote]

Whatever you want. Sometimes I mix a tin of tuna with cottage cheese (makes both foods more palatable than they are separately).

And the secret ingredient- ketchup.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
eclypse wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
PGA wrote:

yea… failed attempt at humor, heh. cottage cheese, ugh. do they make flavored cottage cheese? what can you add to the shit?

Whatever you want. Sometimes I mix a tin of tuna with cottage cheese (makes both foods more palatable than they are separately).

[/quote]

For some reason that sounds tasty…

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
eclypse wrote:
cottage cheese, ugh… what can you add to the shit?

A spoon. Four ounces is only half a cup. It’s not that bad. Suck it up.

[/quote]

Had some last night. It’s not too bad, and I actually remember eating this stuff as a kid now that I had some. I think it was the appearance that grossed me out.

Tuna in there though, dude, I dunno about that. I love tuna, but good lord.

Zap’s suggestion of cheerios or berries sounds good, as well as Kai’s suggestion of jam.

thanks for the feedback, great ideas here for capping off the night :slight_smile: