Late 20s Woman with Hypo-Thyroidism

Yes, your are rightly said that In those circumstances people get more experties because of self exploration and prove themselves an extra ordinary person.

Thank you for everyone responding on this thread, especially hallowed. BBB, nice to see you here… I know I have seen you post outside of the other forum we are always on :slight_smile:

I have to give more props to Hallowed, she knows her stuff! I have Hashimoto’s myself, complicated by CFIDS and poor adrenal function. I take specially-compounded time-release T3 and small doses of Cortef and Florinef.

I second the anti-inflammatory diet (something like Dax Moy’s Elimination Diet) - Hashi’s patients seem to start collecting food intolerances over time, and we are at a higher risk of developing autoimmune gastritis (mine is controlled through a combination of diet, vitamin B12 and sugar-free DGL chewable tablets). Keeping stress levels down is also key - a big stress hit often makes Hashi’s flare up, destroying more of the thyroid.

Selenomethionine, zinc, and Ferrochel (chelated iron) supplements are helpful for thyroid patients, slowing the destruction of the gland and supporting our overall health, but nothing will make the thyroid regenerate. The best we can do is to try and hold on to what’s left of it.

There are some articles at holtorfmed.com that discuss the use of T3 rather than synthroid, and also the importance of reverse T3 levels in evaluating the effectiveness of treatment. They make a good adjunct to the articles at stopthethyroidmadness.com.

Best of luck to your fiancee!

My fiance was told her adrenals aren’t functioning properly too! Adrenal fatigue perhaps…? They gave her a tincture for it…

It’s apparently really common for thyroid disease to be accompanied by adrenal problems. Speaking from experience, taking thyroid hormones when your adrenal function is low will make you feel terrible! I had to slowly work my way up the dosage ladder between T3 and Cortef/Florinef.

What does the tincture contain? I use a supp called “Support Adrenals” by Biomatrix, mostly it contains large doses of b-vitamins, DHEA, Pregnenolone, and licorice root extract. My doc is hoping that continued use of it will eventually let my adrenals recover to the point that I don’t have to take the Cortef and Florinef anymore, but we’ll have to wait and see.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, if/when my fiance finds a good doctor, how is this doctor going to actually discern/diagnose what exactly is going on in her body?? She has had the blood tests, how difficult is it for these medical professionals to accurately diagnose what the causes are of the thyroid and adrenal problems??

The tincture consists of:
Eleuthrococcus
Panax
Avena
Schizandra
Cintella
Ginkgo

[quote]idowhatican wrote:
At the risk of sounding ignorant, if/when my fiance finds a good doctor, how is this doctor going to actually discern/diagnose what exactly is going on in her body?? She has had the blood tests, how difficult is it for these medical professionals to accurately diagnose what the causes are of the thyroid and adrenal problems??[/quote]

Fortunately I do not have adrenal fatigue. Everyone is right it is very common with Hypo and must be addressed first. The best test for adrinal fatigue is the FOUR TIMES in one day salivatory test. She will collect her spit four times in one day for this test it is NOT the a.m. cortisol test that is commonly used.

RE the doctor question a good doctor will always test and then redose based on test results and patient symptoms. Once the adrenal problem is stabilized she will want to start on supplemental incoming thyroid hormone either Natural Dessicated Hormone (Brand name in CAN is ERFA) or else synthetic T4 & Synthetic T3 combo (brand names levothyroxind for T4 and cytomel for T3 though there are other generic names/brands as well). A good doctor will dose her and then retest her levels in six weeks and then increase the dose and then retest in six weeks etc. etc. etc. Ideally she will want a T4 level at least halfway up the range and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY a FREET3 level that is in the top 2/3-3/4 or even higher of the range. Halfway is not optimized. I am STILL not quite optimized on my FREET3 and I have been tested and dose increased five times since April.

you get my pm hallowed, with my fiances email??

[quote]idowhatican wrote:
you get my pm hallowed, with my fiances email??[/quote]

yes though i think it would be better if she emailed me with her specific questions. Not sure what I’d say to her. I’ll PM you my email thanks!