Lat Pulldowns Without the Anchoring?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Know this thread is old, but I just wanted to bump it to maybe get people’s new found opinion on this movement since John Meadows has popularized it.[/quote]
I’m no John Meadows by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes I’ll end up at a pulldown station where I can’t fully straighten my arms at the top (hurray for a long wingspan), so I’ll kneel down right behind the seat and perform the exercise kinda like this:

Allows a complete, complete stretch at the top.

As was mentioned, I agree that simply sitting “backwards” and leaning your head towards the rack lets the upper back get more attention.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
There is a lat pulldown station, but no seat or anything to anchor your thighs underneath, like a typical pulldowm machine. So I did them just sitting on my bench, basically without being anchored down. I had to keep my entire body super tight in order to stay grounded[/quote]

I’m not really sure what OP means, do you figure lacking thigh-pads he is using his adductors to pinch the bench he is sitting on, or maybe bending his knees and doing some kinda hamstring curl to hold his pelvis down onto the seat to keep it from rising? Has to be anchoring somehow otherwise he’d come up…

It sounds interesting but if I had to go to all that trouble I’d probably just do the weighted pullups.

Another easy way would be to bring a big sack of sand (you can get a 20kg, that’s 66lbs, for about 6 bucks from a Home Depo) with you in a duffel back and park it on your thighs to work as a makeshift thigh pad. You could possibly bring two of them if you needed but you might need a partner to put the second in place.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:
OP- seeing “bigger” folks seated backwards on the lat pulldown and leaning into the stack, “think incline position” - this is less for the lats, as mentioned, and more for upper middle back development[/quote]

For some reason this description makes me think of - YouTube

[quote]zraw wrote:
Also wont be able to go into a full stretch on the top of the movement…[/quote]

What would you do if your arms were so long that you couldn’t get a full stretch…?? I can’t get a full stretch because my arms always interfere…So before I can even get a deep stretch, the weight is back to the way it started… any thoughts??

(don’t mean to jack OP)

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Also wont be able to go into a full stretch on the top of the movement…[/quote]
What would you do if your arms were so long that you couldn’t get a full stretch…?? I can’t get a full stretch because my arms always interfere…So before I can even get a deep stretch, the weight is back to the way it started… any thoughts??

(don’t mean to jack OP)[/quote]
I have no idea how or why this thread was bumped after almost a year, but to get a better stretch, try the way I was describing above - “kneeling tall” right behind the seat. It gives you a few extra inches of ROM to get that full stretch.

[video]2565[/video]

yep thats a random bump