Lat PAIN..Anyone Else?

Hey guys, earlier today I was doing some heavy low rep squats, and once I finished the last rep of the last set, I felt a pain in my left lat. I tried to do bench after but it hurt so I stopped and called it a day.

It hurts when I breathe, move my neck and well any movement of my upper body. The only thing I can think of is that I pulled it while squatting, but I have no idea how I would have done that. Also I showed my mum my back and she said the the left lat (the one that hurts) is bigger that the right, and that it looks swollen.

If anybody has any experience of this I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a broken rib, but if you are fully aware of your body and believe it’s not the case, then I think it’s just a result of your keeping your core so tight.

You probably used a load too heavy for your core to hold up. It’s like putting a boulder on top of a tree. Something just gave.

Could be a knot. I’ve gotten them in my back before and they have made both breathing and turning my neck hard and painful.

If you can get someone to rub your back and pin-point the area where the knot is then you can have it painfully rubbed out. Advil/Aleve and water should help too.

This has happened to me about 3 times in the last year. I did not feel any pain until a day later however. I came to the conclusion that it is a result of having the bar too low on your back, puttin awkward strain on your lat.

If it is anything like what I have had it will be gone in a couple days. I would recommend not working your back out until then.

probably just strained the iliocostalis thoracis, runs under the lat, connects upper ribs and lower ribs, part of the erector group of muscles which contributes thoracic stabilization

[quote]King of Vice wrote:
Sounds like a broken rib[/quote]

I hope you are kidding. He would know if he had a broken rib. If he even thought of bench pressing he doesn’t have one.

I have actually had a similar thing going on and it was a knot in my lat. Try foam rolling it.

You might be holding your hands too close in on the bar