Lasting Happiness

140x15 squats sound awful. Nice work!

Thanks @Bagsy

Friday: 35 min bike

Saturday: 5ish miles: 1 mile warmup; 5x300m @ 90 seconds repeat/ rest interval 200m walk; 2 mile cool down.

Felt more confident with the intervals. Will work up to 7 repeats next time and I eventually hope to jog the recovery.

I’ll be sorry to see the clocks change. I like running early in the morning and will miss the morning light when it is gone.

Yoga

3 Likes

Sunday: DL 95; 115; 135; 155; 175; 195x3; 215x3x2* did a second set instead of adding weight to the bar. Was the right call. Trying to be patient…not one of my strengths.

HLR and made up Bulgarian split squats: 3 sets of 12.

Single leg glute bridges and McGill sit-ups

1 Like

What’s a “made up” Bulgarian split squat?

Nevermind, typing that jogged my memory about how you were going to make them up for missing them. I thought you’d created some fascinating alternative method.

Carry on! Lol

1 Like

Rest assured, I’m not out creating new exercises. I’ll leave that for the experts.

1 Like

Monday: off

Tuesday: 3 mile trail run—worked the uphills took it easy on the down. Legs burned.

Bench: bar, 65, 85x5; 95x7* this is getting to be a sticking point; 100x3; 105x3

Rows, face pulls, push downs

2 Likes

Wed: nothing. This week is turning into a bit of deload. It’s supposed to be week 2 of cycle 4. But I did not deload before starting cycle 4, and I may be feeling that. My left knee is bothering me a little bit. But I think I will be good to run again tomorrow
And maybe even squat.

Today was just pull-ups. 10 sets of 7! Insert celebration dance.

Again, these were spread out over several hours, but they actually went better than I expected.

7s can be a sticking point for me. And since I’m not at or near my leanest, I was really thrilled to get the reps. Except for one cranky knee, I’m feeling pretty good and strong.

2 Likes

Dude, that is crazy strong pulling!

2 Likes

Thanks—I like pull-ups. Did bunches when I was a kid in gymnastics . Doing them now reminds me a bit of that time. Once a gymnast always a gymnast.

1 Like

Three mile trail run on Friday. Knee was good. Pushed the uphills again was mindful of gravity on the downhills. She likes for me to fall.

Took the day off work and shoveled new dirt in to the garden beds.

Today- squats triples and a tentative amrap of 155x7. Not strong today. No Bulgarians and will Not makeup. Got in some MP as well. Nothing remarkable to report. Feeling tired.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Can you still do anything besides pull-ups? I did gymnastics in college, but not enough to consider myself a gymnast. I could still do a round-off last time I tried, but failed at the cartwheel for some reason. I liked the parallel bars and pommel horse, but couldn’t do anything past the basics. I made it a point to take a different phys ed class every semester in college, and I went to UT Austin so there were lots of options. I took gymnastics, judo, fencing, water safety instruction and lifeguarding, racquetball, weightlifting (which was objectively a bad class, given what I know now). All of that kept me sane during some trying times.

@OTHSteve That’s very cool that you gave gymnastics a go in college. Sound like you did well with it!

Cartwheel might be harder if you’re not flexible or if you turn it over too slowly. The round off is explosive—your strength and power probably helped get you around.

I can still do handstands, cartwheels, and walkovers and front handsprings, but I haven’t tried any back tumbling in awhile—too scared.

There is an adult gymnastics class near me that I might try once my family is all vaccinated. I need a spring floor and a spot to get over my chicken!

1 Like

Good run today. 3 miles average pace 9:11; average HR 155.

I thought I’d be happy with this pace…but I think now I can get that down to something that starts with an 8!

1 Like

Knee is feeling ok after yesterday’s run. But I think I will not run a half this week and will instead reset the long run again back to 8 or 9 and build up for a third time.

I’m still thrilled with the result of yesterday’s 3 mile run. But that outcome was not assured because I heard (as I usually do) two voices in my head when the run got tough.

The first was negative. It said, “you went out too fast. You aren’t going to make it up the hill. You need to slow down or walk. You’ll get it next time.”

The second said, “you’re fine. Get up the hill. You
Can recover on the downhill. Drop your shoulders. Shorten your stride.”

The voice you listen to is always right. I need to pay attention to what I tell myself when I am running.

I imagine becoming the kind of person that never hears the negative first voice…that’s possible right?

I think I know someone like that—she’s literally sailing around the world right now. But i swear she is the most unflappable and resilient person that I have ever known.

My negative voice, “wtf is she doing. she is totally going to die at sea.”

Bench: bar, 65, 85x5; 95x3; 100x6;
Heavy single 110x1
Drop set 95x10

Bike later.

3 Likes

Failed to ride bike yesterday.

Today: deadlifts 95, 115, 145x5; 165x3; 185x15
Heavy singles 205, 225, 245x1

3x10 of the following:
Hanging leg raises
Single leg glute bridges
McGill sit-ups

2 Likes

Bike 35 minutes

MP bar, 55, 65x5; 75x4; 65x9

Pull-ups 7,7,5,5,5

1 Like

I might be following your friend after I retire! That’s one of my goals in life, although I had to give up my sailboat when I left Southern California for Kansas back in 2013… I’m still working on convincing the wife, and it may end up being a case of her flying to meet me at various ports of call along the way, she doesn’t have the same passion for being on a boat away from sight of land as I do…

I hope that goal becomes a reality for you. Sounds like a good compromise plan.

The only time I’ve been at sea, with no sight of land, I was sick as a dog. It was disappointing.

Squats: bar, 95, 115, 135x5; 155x8* was hoping for a better amrap set here. Arf.

Red light Heavy singles: 175, 185, 195

But I don’t care
Right now.

3x12 of:

Bulgarians
Single leg glute bridges
Vups

1 Like

Maybe I missed this, but do you have a home gym or lift somewhere else?