Lasting Happiness

Saturday:

3 mile hike with the dog.

Bench: 65,85 ,95, 100x3* this required effort.

Drop set 85x10

Pull-ups: total 20

Pushups 3 sets of 8

3 Likes

Sunday: just yard work, which I happen to love.

Monday: 4 miles; average pace 10:30; average HR 158. Felt good; felt great by the end.

I’m pleased with how I’m recovering from my training and have started thinking about adding more.

I probably shouldn’t because I’m still improving with the amount of work I’m presently doing.

Still, there is a desire for more —And this is where I get in trouble…feel good, do more, get hurt.

It’s a game of jenga! Can I add this? Or is this the thing that causes the crash and breaks down my teetering tower?

I am old enough that I should be better at avoiding repetitive use injuries.

I’m deloading the lifting this week. Maybe I’ll add another bike ride. I really want to add a run.

2 Likes

Got word yesterday that our planned marathon is going virtual—no in person race.

Both my kids have been running. J ran 13 last weekend. L ran 12 (but is now dealing with knee pain). This is farther than either of them have ever run—so they have that experience and accomplishment anyway.

It’s hard for me to imagine running a virtual marathon. There is an energy and a joy that comes from the shared race day experience—kinda like a concert. It’s simply easier (and more fun) to run when you are at a supported race with others.

No decisions have been made about how we move forward.

It would be my preference that we drop down to the half marathon distance, but that suggestion got mixed reviews.

1 Like

Cycle 3: Day 1

Bench 85x 12; 95x3x3; 70x19

Dumbbell rows; HLR; pullups

2 Likes

How big was the race supposed to be? Sounds disappointing for sure.

I’m not sure what signups looked like for this year. it’s not one of the big marathons anyway.

Saturday: 4 miles; 10:30 pace. I’m dropping down to the half marathon distance. I’ll run an aid station or act as a pacer if one or both kids opt to go the full distance. This will be better for me physically and less interfering with the lifting.

Deadlifts: 95, 115, 140x5; 160x20* Reps are touch and go with bumper plates. :slight_smile:

I’m going to use 531 for my deadlifts. I had a lot of success with that program for this lift.

I’ve been capping my reps at 12, but there has been no resurgence of sciatic pain so I’m lifting that restriction but am now restricting heavy singles and/ or triples to my 5-3-1 week.

No accessories. Did multiple sets of “speed
Squats” sets of 2 with just the bar. I’m worried about squat depth for powerlifting purposes.

It’s not just an issue at higher weights. My movement pattern is the same regardless of weight on the bar.

1 Like

That’s a shame. You’d think they could stagger runners at the start and refrain from post-race festivities and goodies, and it could be okay. I realize there is always a risk involved when exposing oneself to others… but another part of me doesn’t understand how small local races are shut down like this out of fear while people will go to bars and only questionably follow legal guidelines.

1 Like

Well, I for one am not going to criticize one organization for trying to be responsible just because so many others choose not to.

Yeah, some very small trail runs have gone off, but I don’t think any road races. They require more community support as you know. Anyway, We knew we were pushing the season … so disappointment is curbed. For a few weeks anyway we had something to get excited about and train for and it helped!

Of course, I don’t fault the race organizers for cancelling. I get it. But there have been inequities from my perspective in terms of what is open and what is not.

I’m glad I don’t have to make those hards decisions. And I can deal with whatever. I just worry about the toll of isolation and the lack of activities on my kids.

1 Like

Sunday:

6 miles on trail with dog; 1375 elevation gain; Average HR 151

I’ve kept myself from doing any running during these trail outings with the dog (trying to appropriately moderate my comeback) by wearing hiking shoes.
It’s a bit sad that the idea of running in anything but my carefully selected shoes is terrifying…but that is how it is for now.

This day, I wore my trail runners and ran some. The course was out and back and has an elevation profile that looks like an “‘M”.” I was pretty tired on the last Up and Down—i had to pay a lot of attention to my footing and to managing the dog, who much more sure footed than I, wanted to really run!

Today:

30 minutes on bike

MP —this workout was inspired by the number 3 —

Triples with 55, 65, 70, 75!
Super settled with sets of 3 pullups.

Because I got the triple at 75, I decided to go for 80.
I’ve pressed 80 before but only a few times. It’s a sticking point weight for me. I Missed it the first go. I just hesitated and held it too long. Second attempt I got it and 2 reps —although that second rep was interminable!

80x2. Once I can press that for 3, I’m going for 85!

3 Likes

What’s your preferred trail runner? I used to run exclusively in Brooks Cascadia. Interestingly, the shoes I’ve found best for trail running are a low hiker! Box Sawtooth II or Firebrand II weigh double the Cascadias but, because of the stiffer sole and rocker heel, I run just as fast in them with less leg and foot pain.

Heck yes!!

I’m Zack, btw. Nice to see you posting here :+1:

I run in brooks as well—the caldera. I’ve tried other brands but I always come back to brooks. They’re ugly shoes but they work well for me.

Thanks for the support and for following along,
Zack!

1 Like

Squats: DecideD to bump up the reps from 3s to 5s. Wow, sets of 5 are way harder.:crazy_face:

The weight felt heavy through the early sets. I was a little disappointed at the start. But I try not to credit too much my subjective perception of effort. I’m usually wrong. And why does how it feels matter anyway? The issue is what can the body do today? What is the weight that I own…the weight I can do no matter how tired my legs feel?

The good news is that I got the reps At 5 that I wanted.

65, 85, 105, 125, 145, 165x5

The bad news is that I then failed miserably at my drop set.

115x7. I had planned to do a set of 20. Ugh. Oops.

Pull-ups—one set of 8!

No other accessories. I’ve now jack-shitted my last two lower body days. I’m not sure why I’m so tired, I’m running less. I guess it’s just accumulated fatigue.

I want to make up the skipped Bulgarian split squats and plant to. I think those are really important for me to do.

2 Likes

Brooks are the all-around most comfortable running shoes I’ve worn. I started running in 2015 and initially developed shin splints. Some runner friends told me they couldn’t run in Brooks without getting shin splints, which led to me experimenting with other brands. I stopped running a few years ago and started running intervals in January.

My pleasure!

Heck yes they are! 5 reps is 66 percent more work than three while using similar weights, so it makes sense to me it’s a much harder amount.

1 Like

Thursday: 6 miles; 10:30 pace; 351 elevation gain and loss. This was a rolling out and back course. I like the amount of elevation change. It’s enough to keep the body and mind engaged—work the up hills; relax on the down hills. The only drawback to this course is the road is a bit busier than I prefer.

Friday: bench 65, 85x5; 90x11* got a few more reps than the last time I repped 90, so I am happy with that.

Pushups 10, 10, 8. I feel like I’m not maintaining a rigid hollow body position through the entirety of these reps. I need to film these to see if I am right about that or if I’m just looking for a reason to stop. Still, these are improving some.

Bulgarian split squats, face pulls, banded push downs, single leg glute bridges, McGill sit-ups, 3x12

2 Likes

Sat: deadlifts 95, 115,135, 150x5; 170x15

Body weight stuff: balance, agility—stuff to make me feel more athletic.

I’m getting better at the things I am training, but I’m feeling kinda one dimensional. All movement is very controlled and purposeful. I don’t think I can sprint, change directions, or jump. Would like to be able to play. Slowly going to work towards those kind of movements.

2 Likes

You said you’ve been kinda doing 5/3/1 for a bit. Do you mean you haven’t done the jumps in the program?