Lasting Happiness

6 mile trail run. 1300 feet elevation gain and loss. First time I could run this course without taking any walking breaks. Thank you squats!

5 Likes

Sunday: 4 miles with the dog.

Bench: work up to amrap 90x8. Yikes. The regression continues.
Dumbbell row: 20lbx 28 reps x 1 set

Monday:

Squat: work up to amrap 145x23. High rep squats have been working for me, so I feel compelled to stick with them.

Bulgarians 3x12

PT with bands.

5 Likes

Wed: 4 miles

Thursday: MP triples @ 55, 65, 70, 75; heavy singles at 78.
Dropsets: 65x9; barx20

HLR: 3 sets of 8
Pull-ups: 6 sets of 2

Stuff with bands.

2 Likes

Yesterday: added 30 minutes on bike

Today: 10 mile run on the road.

2 Likes

Today: couple miles in the woods with the dog. Not sore but my legs were fatigued from yesterday’s long run.

Deadlifts: 5s @ 135, 155, 175, 195, 205, 215.

2 Likes

We aren’t always made stronger by trauma.

3 Likes

Fall running is the best running. 6 miles on the road today. I’m feeling pretty good about my capacity right now, and I am enjoying being outside.

3 Likes

I am not going to get crazy and go run 6 miles or anything but I do love fall!

2 Likes

MP today. Will take tomorrow as a recovery/ mobility/ PT day.

Worked up to a heavy triple at 75; drop set 50x 18. Lots of high re band stuff.

Strength endurance is a fascinating animal. The bar is so light and moves so easily at first and then it doesn’t and the weight is suddenly impossible. It’s a very curious experience. One which I surprisingly enjoy.

2 Likes

I should know better. As soon as I say I’m going to do x, here x refers to high rep squats, I don’t.

I felt like a newborn colt in the squat rack today. Guess the added miles on the road have caught up with me and run me over.

155x3 reps x 5 sets. Awful.

Pull-ups 10x2. I wanna say something about what I’m going to do here. But I won’t make the same mistake so soon.

Watch me.

2 Likes

The same thing nearly always happens to me, too. It’s uncanny.

1 Like

5 miles today. Legs felt great. I clearly did not squat enough yesterday.

3 Likes

Bench today; triples @95 x 4 sets
High rep stuff with bands

2 Likes

Trail run

Deadlifts: triples up to 225; singles up to 245

MP: triples up to 75; single @ 80

3 Likes

More and more I think about training in terms of building and maintaining infrastructure.

I like the building phases the most—covering new ground—-chasing prs. But the maintaining phases are equally important. Perfecting and owning new skills.

I am in a squat and bench press maintenance phase. This week I worked on owning 175 on the squat and 95 on bench. Lots and lots of triples at those weights. It was mentally so much easier than trying to grind out a new rep PR.

I’m in a building phase for endurance. I hope to be able to hit a late fall trail run.

I generally find that my deadlifting and pull-up ability are less impacted
by increases in running volume than squats and bench.
I may be able to build some strength with those movements while I focus on the running. Either way, it’s all good.

I’ve missed training for something—a particular goal done at a particular time. It will be good to run a race this fall if I can.

So,that’s what I am doing.

2 Likes

12 miles. This was more of a struggle than I was expecting. I felt crappy the whole time. I kept waiting for things to turn around, as they sometimes do if you keep after it long enough, but that didn’t happy today.

I am sure it won’t be long for these 8-12 mile runs to feel more routine. I am not there yet, but I’m excited to get to that point.

2 Likes

12386.jpeg

This sign is technically for equipment maintenance, but when you think about it, your body is the most important piece of equipment you own…

5 Likes

Saturday: 6 hours of removing and hauling sod and then shoveling bark.

Between Friday’s long run and Saturday’s yard work I was shot. Bed time was 7:30.

Sunday: wore my new weight vest for a hilly hour on the trails with the dog. I liked it. I got my heart rate up and I felt my legs working harder on the uphill portions.

MP and Bench. changing priorities=change in schedule. Easy triples. HLR. Press handstand work*

*gymnastics class has not been happening due to a surge in covid cases. So I am on my own here. I haven’t been practicing, but I’m hoping to start being consistent.

I wasn’t really even able to hold a handstand today. I just couldn’t find my balance. My approach to skill building is to channel my inner toddler. Lots and lots of attempts.

Also worked the bottom position of the press. Fell gently on my face and my arms were bent. I am cheating,but trying.

2 Likes

Monday: 5 miles. Although I ran poorly and felt poorly on Friday, I still found myself looking forward to when I could run again. That was today. I felt really good. Deadlifts and pull-ups tomorrow.

2 Likes

Videos are private.