T Nation

Last Minute Ab Rip Up

Hey all,
I’m in an ab challenge and have gotten my bodyfat down to a pretty reasonable level. I’m coming into the final phase of prep for the “ab showdown” and am planning to do a 6 day nutritional “rip up” (get rid of subcutaneous water and fill muscle glycogen stores). D-day is Monday (around 9am).

Current diet is 2,600 - 2700kcal with around the following (roughly) split of protein carb and fats:

p-247grams (38%)
c-214grams (33%)
f-80.5grams (28%)

The basic story is a 6 day prep. remove all carbs completely for the first 3 days. also add sodium to all foods consumed. Then add in high glycemic carbs for 24 hours and dratically reduce sodium. switch to low GI carbs for the final 2 days. eliminate water (even sodium free 10 hours prior to showdown).

Heres a rundown:

Tuesday -
–Deplete carbohydrates completely. still eat 2,600kcal but consume only protein and healthy fats.
– workout whole body (except legs) circuit style normal compound exercises, 30 sec rest, all sets to failure, 8-12RM
– Drink 4 litres of water

Wednesday -
–Continue full carbohydrate depletion
– workout whole body (except legs) circuit style normal compound exercises, 30 sec rest, all sets to failure, 8-12RM

Thursday -
–Last day of complete carb depletion

Friday -
–Replenish carbohydrates with high GI sources. Include 2 creatine with dextrose/glucose .
–no workout at all

Saturday -
–Replenish carbohydrates with Low GI sources. Include one creatine with dextrose/glucose .
–no workout at all
– Drink 3 litres of water (sodium free)

Sunday -
–Replenish carbohydrates with Low GI sources. Include one creatine with dextrose/glucose.
–no workout at all
–stop drinking water at 6pm (drink sodium free water until then)

Monday -
– Eat normally for breakfast? some P, C, and fats as per normal day. pump whole body immediately before showdown 12RM compound movements.

1. is there any danger in this sodium plan? I know Sodiums role in the body but I dont know the repercussions of this plan.

2. how many carbs do I eat in the replenishment phase? I had consumed around 214grams prior to this final phase. I am currently around 74kg and 9.2% bodyfat. Is there a formula I can apply to work out how many carbs I need to consume?

3. what is the best choice for the meal morning of? I want to have good full muscle and be rid of water as much as possible but I can bloat with food sometimes. I always look good in the morning but by night-time my gut looks fat and bloated after some meals despite lowish 9% bodyfat. How do I stop the bloated look?

This is the first time I have tried this. Abs seem good but i want to dial in as good as i can. opinions and citicisms appreciated. Will not use diuretics at this stage and passing out at work from dehydration is not a good look. Any advice for after its all over to get back to normal quickly as I have to work all that day?

Cheers