T Nation

Last Meal vs. Sleep

What is a higher priority? I am someone that is trying to get strong and more muscular (like a lot of people on this website) and I have a question on food. Some days it is hard for me to get all my scheduled meals in during the day and so I have to stay up later in the day to get that last meal in. Is is better to get that last meal or is it better to get more sleep?

Example: Today, woke up tired so I knew I was going to need to get to bed early.

Meal 1 7:30

Meal 2 9:30

Meal 3 12:00

Meal 4 3:00

At this point I want to get to bed at like 7 pm, which means just one last meal. To get my normal six, I would have to stay up until 9:30-10:00 before I can eat meal 6. In your guys experience, is it better to get more food or more sleep?*

*This is just an example. Today, I am going to eat meal 5 and then hit the sack, but I am curious for future times.

Why not just eat more when you are eating, and get a decent night’s sleep?

I know that my progress stalls when I’m not well rested.

What’s your total caloric intake, and how is that spread over the five meals that you do have time to consume? I’m sure your sixth meal probably isn’t a big one before going to bed anyways, so I would suggest just putting those calories somewhere else. Pre and Post workout would probably be the best places.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
What is a higher priority? I am someone that is trying to get strong and more muscular (like a lot of people on this website) and I have a question on food. Some days it is hard for me to get all my scheduled meals in during the day and so I have to stay up later in the day to get that last meal in. Is is better to get that last meal or is it better to get more sleep?

Example: Today, woke up tired so I knew I was going to need to get to bed early.

Meal 1 7:30

Meal 2 9:30

Meal 3 12:00

Meal 4 3:00

At this point I want to get to bed at like 7 pm, which means just one last meal. To get my normal six, I would have to stay up until 9:30-10:00 before I can eat meal 6. In your guys experience, is it better to get more food or more sleep?*

*This is just an example. Today, I am going to eat meal 5 and then hit the sack, but I am curious for future times.[/quote]

Meal 5 6:00

Meal 6 Large protein shake before bed around 8-8:30

Eat more often like every 2 hours on your example day that would mean eating your last meal right before bed. You need both sleep and food to grow.

[quote]NigelJay wrote:
Why not just eat more when you are eating, and get a decent night’s sleep?[/quote]

x2

Don’t sacrifice sleep for food. There’s plenty of time in the day to get the nutrients you need.

You need 12 hours of sleep? What are you, a tiger?

I normally wake up at least once a night to piss - so I go and down some food, but I can also easily fall back asleep.

Why the hell do you stay awake only 12 hours during your day anyways?

If you woke up tired, its either cause your sick or didnt get enough sleep the day before…

You shouldnt feel tired if your health condition is good and you get 8-9 hours sleep/day.

Who the hell needs 12hours of sleep/day

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
You need 12 hours of sleep? What are you, a tiger? [/quote]

Awesome. End Thread.

Just go to bed. Jesus.

For the record, I sometimes go back to sleep 12 hours after waking up, usually to revert my sleeping patterns back to normal but just because OP does it once doesn’t mean he does it every day.

I might get 3-4 meals in on these days. Big deal.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Lol this wasnt up when I posted ! Guess we figured the same thing

I like your way of saying it better tough :confused:

BONEZ > ZRAW

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Damn, I missed that part.

Then again, tigers probably only eat once per day, so that changes things completely.

Just make the last meal a big one. I missed 2 meals today because of my schedule, so for dinner I ate a meal that so far has over 100 g of protein and 1200 calories. I’m still not full, so I’m still cooking.*

*Disclaimer: I do not normally have an appetite this big. I can only eat this much right now b/c I missed 2 meals and am STARVING right now.