Larry Wheels Powerlifting Comeback Meet

Well the stunts caught up to him it seems. That’s disappoint cause he was hitting numbers that would have made it very doable for him to break the record.

Remember these prophetic words:

5 Likes

I just want to know where that 700 lbs went after the video cuts. No safeties, one spotter, a torn rotator, and 700 floating directly over your skull doesn’t look like a good combo…

5 Likes

It was a disaster waiting to happen. And I don’t get what he’s trying to do benching with elbow wraps, seems like it’s all about the Instagram likes. If he had used a Slingshot then non-lifting social media commentators would be saying that its not raw and so on, but he likely would have avoided injuring his shoulder as well. Shoulders and pecs are the most likely parts to get injured benching, and wrapping the elbows is only going to increase the odds of that.

I guess he’s going to have to stick with bodybuilding since he’s falling apart already. What a shame.

2 Likes

lets be honest… thats part of the reason Ed Coan can be called a GOAT. Not only for the weight he put up but also for how long he did it for.

7 Likes

I like the fact that Ed never maxed out in training, he always saved it for the contest. Probably why he had such great longevity.

5 Likes

Longevity is the key to greatness isn’t it? Not just Ed, guys like Malanichev, Big Z, etc. Belkin seems to be aiming towards that as well.

3 Likes

Yeah…also he mapped out his training where he wasn’t missing reps in training also.

@MarkKO According to Dave Tate most guys only last about 5 years or less at the top.

5 Likes

That’s why I was and always will be a Jesse Norris fan. Dude just went in, put in a ton of work, and went home. Nothing ever seemed hard and training was always solid, consistent and fast. He was a freak of nature and one of the best, if not the best, 198’er ever.

2 Likes

How come he doesn’t compete anymore?

1 Like

How can a 220lb man be this strong?

7 Likes

Just a guess, but not training like a fuckwit probably helped.

9 Likes

Here it is. Action starts at the 39 minute mark. I dunno if something went during the press or if it was because he couldn’t bail on safeties easy and had to hold it against the rack for a bit.

Someone needs to invent a bench with safety bars. Easily avoidable accident then, Oh wait.

3 Likes

That was a close call with death, the bar would have busted his skull in half if the spotter lost it.

Easier said than done for some people

1 Like

I’m assuming you mean Norris. He’s said in the past that he has a degenerative disc disorder and it’s hard for him to push squat and deadlifts without getting back injuries. Also, to my knowledge, he’s finally a cop and just an emphasis on other aspects of life. He used to do q&a’s all the time and that’s where all this comes from. Fingers crossed he’ll come back and reign supreme again.

1 Like

It helps that social media didn’t exist back then. Too many people do stupid things for instagram likes.

3 Likes

Yes, I was responding you your post (doesn’t show when you respond to the last post)

If that’s the case then it would be a good idea to quit lifting heavy altogether, not worth turning yourself into a handicap for nothing. I know and older guy who has degenerative disc disorder, not from lifting or anything just bad luck, and aside from walking there isn’t a whole lot he can do.

1 Like

That looked effortless too

So larry just (last 24 hours) posted a quick 600 bench single. Looks like he’s still competing and the injjury wasnt so bad.

1 Like