Larry Wheels 5 Weeks Out Check In

Ha ha not me. That’s my goal to get to that level but I’m still a ways off

1 Like

Apparently Shawn Doyle has been working on his grip quite a bit, I saw something on his Instagram page saying that he will never drop 900 again. If things go well he could probably pull quite a bit over 900.

3 Likes

Also I think Belkins 970 pull was with those thick plates and not having to travel far. The one thing that’s uncertain is how far Andrey can push himself. I feel he’s the only one possibly beating Shawn

1 Like

I forgot about that, it was a full 3 inches off the ground LOL

Andrey sadly it looks like father time is getting to him.

I’m interested to see what Dennis Cornelius will do, he’s right around the same level as those two. He can only pull maybe 800 but is good for well over 900 on squat and maybe over 600 on bench. Check this video, it looks kind of hard but if you see how he squatted 900 in sleeves you will realize that he has plenty in the tank:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiGKO6eBxyi/?taken-by=denniscornelius500

2 Likes

I feel like he is the most likely to be consistent and clean. Seasoned vet from the IPF wont succumb to Yoloitus and will complete 8 lifts on a bad day.

Also Big Boy and Brandon Allen with a couple of 6 plate benches on IG. Their Wilks went up a bit.

He’s the only one who can pass drug tests, that much is certain. Assuming he is clean, just imagine what he could do with some juice. From what I heard, it sounds like he is done with IPF/USAPL but he still plans to compete tested (IPL tested worlds is coming up). The IPF banned him from the Arnold because he signed up for the LA Fit Expo, but they told him he was banned before he even did that meet. USPA actually pays money and on top of that they don’t behave like a bunch of assholes so to me the choice is obvious.

I meant clean with form but yea if genetics like that exist I dont even think drugs are cheating LOL.

IPF not allowing lifters into other Feds is the #1 thing I cant stand about IPF. The other stuff is just icing on the hate cake hahaha

I need to read about that banning because that is ridiculous…unless it was Drug Test related.

Look at his facebook page, there was some talk about this in recent months. He never failed a drug test, they just don’t want their top lifters competing in other feds. If I do it they won’t care, but with someone like Dennis they act like he cheated on them.

Remember RUM? Leading up to one of those meets, the IPF issued a memo ordering their members not to lift in the meet and made all kinds of threats. A few years later they showed up at Jesse Norris’ house (or maybe it was a hotel) in the middle of the night to piss test him when RUM was the next morning. If they can’t stop him from lifting there they will still try to fuck around and make him lose sleep so at least he doesn’t perform well. Spiteful assholes.

It’s a shame though, there are a lot of decent people associated with the IPF and their affiliates, it’s just that the organization is totally rotten at the top and people put up with it for some reason that I can’t understand. It would be better if PL became a sport of posting Instagram videos with calibrated plates rather than what the IPF has in mind for us.

1 Like

Saw the list and definitely going Maleik for the light weights with a new world record

yeah it really just seems childish for the IPF to behave that way. Their whole ed coan b.s. is another extension of that overly-inflated-ego behavior they seem to love to gravitate towards, at least in how the organization reps carry themselves.

WOW only thing that gives me pause is he hasnt competed since 2015 (according to Openpowerlifting.org)

His IG is private but I am waiting for his request :smiley:

Still his last Comp was in Wraps and I his Wilks would have crushed last year (595).

I have just started the light weight numbers buuut I probably wont be done until monday.

Andrew Herbert also in with a shot for the heavies. Bench isn’t great, but squat is (425kg) and could be good for a 400ish deadlift in the 110s.

2 Likes

I want to say he has completed since then. Someone said he’s been hanging low. Idk why. I think the last comp he did he weighed in as a light 198er and just missed the 198 world record, missing the final deadlift. Totaled 1930 and missed a massive 105lb jump on deadlift

The IPF is staffed by European OL nutlickers whose goal is to level the playing field to allow non-USA lifters to make a better showing.

If someone shows up at my house in the middle of the night he may have to speak to my friend Mr. Remington.

I’m not really sure what OL has to do with the IPF’s problems, I have heard that before though, maybe you can elaborate. The way I see it the two factors are greed and power tripping/megalomania (hence Parage = Napoleon). They want to be judge, jury, and executioner, with regards to squat depth you can see plenty of videos where the lifter squatted way below parallel and still got red lights. Favoritism seems to be a big thing too, like how they wouldn’t give Jezza Uepa the squat command, over and over, at worlds last year and the jury had to overturn it. He likely would have beaten Ray Williams’s squat that day.

This foolishness exists at the local and national level as well, a few months ago I looked at the CPU (Canadian afiiliate) site and there was a message from one of the executives saying that the rule of one minute from when they announce that the bar is loaded until you get the start/squat command was because of equipped lifting and now that most people were lifting raw there was no reason that they couldn’t be ready as soon as they announcement is made. It sounds to me like this guy really doesn’t enjoy powerlifting meets, he should find another hobby. The CPU has a rule that you can still lift if you don’t make weight for the class you chose ahead of time, provided that if there is a required qualifying total you have achieved a sufficient total to lift in the higher weight class (at international meets they won’t let you lift). A couple years ago I signed up for a local meet and a couple weeks before the meet the director sent out an e-mail saying that if you can’t make weight you won’t be allowed to lift - despite this being an open meet with not qualifying total and this being is direct contravention of CPU rules, and with no justification. Being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

On the greed side, there is a plan to require all coaches/handlers to take a course that cost money, takes several days, and requires travelling out of town just to be able to access the warmup room at a meet, even local meets. USAPL already has this in place, in Canada the sports ethics board told them they can’t do this as it violates the rules for non-profit organizations but they still want to go ahead with it anyway. On top of that, the same people making these rules are the same ones running the course. Not only is this not non-profit, it meets the definition of racketeering.

Then there are the exorbitant fees for equipment to be put on the approved list. A lot of Metal equipment (all single ply I believe) is no longer allowed as they refused to pay the fee. This increases prices for all lifters, whether or not they compete in the IPF or its affiliates. I had a conversation with an international level IPF judge, evidently he was getting fed up with their shit. He said that the IPF has become a money-making machine, he said “wait until SBD comes out with a shoe, then shoes will be on the approved list too.”

I don’t understand people who put up with the IPF, it’s like some guys who know their girlfriend is cheating on them and they are like “oh, I love her so much, I just can’t leave her”. I really don’t get it, maybe someone could explain.

2 Likes

Added and he is somebody I wanted to see too.

and kind of dropped the ball on this buuuut…

Also holy fuck…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bio77kzH4EY/?taken-by=phdeadlift

and you LIAR!!! you said you werent competing but I see your Kern hashtag :smiley:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Biie6clB_jY/?taken-by=vincentpachuta

People do this with everything. I think Stockholm Syndrome is quite more common than we think and expands to far more situations than just Hostage. It is probably actually called something else.

I see it especially with Sports Teams and other mainstream places. If a burger place gave you a shit burger you wont keep eating there but somehow the browns still have a fan.

LARRY in the 308s I must have seen this in IG comments or stories or something but Black Tom Cruise said he was eating with Larry who was doing everything he could to stay over 275 for weigh ins so I guess he is still going for that 308 sleeves record.

From THIS competition stand point I am not sure I understand this. He wont actually be sacrificing that many Wilks points (but every little bit helps). I think the bigger issue is if his diet somehow affects his performance (which it has in the past).

The only benefit I see is to a long term scenario of holding another Weight class record and the endorsements and fame that lead to more endorsements. We are talking a 30k drop from 1st to 2nd though…and I do have no idea how much these guys make.

And its not like there wont be a bazillion other comps in the next couple months for him to go after the 308 again though (but I kind of assume he will be going into another BB comp prep).

Nevermind, found the post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BikVgpfAWYR/?hl=en&taken-by=black_tom_cruise

1 Like

Do you mean from a bodyweight standpoint? Surely competing in sleeves when everyone else going for the prize money is in wraps will be a bigger sacrifice? As far as I’m aware wilks calc doesn’t change if in wraps or sleeves.

But yeah I agree, seems like an odd meet to choose for attempting this record

I’m not I wish I was. I’m just taghing anything I can think of. If I can hit 1800 this year in comp. Then id like to try next year. Though no chance of winning really