Laroyal's Return to Powerlifting

Those of you who have read Viva laroyal in the Alpha section know I train at Westside Barbell and will be returning to powerlifting for the first time in.....let's just say many years.  Things are going great, my lifts are on track and I am blessed to be around some of the strongest people in the world over there which really brings out the best in me! 

I recieve countless pm’s about training nutrition and supplementation (which I love to answer) but I thought to maybe put things in better perspective and keep myself on track I would start a training log. I will periodically post diet, supplement and training workouts. Hope you guys enjoy this, feel free to comment, call me a sissy or do whatever:-)

Day 1

Woke up 5:45am 4scoops Poliquin Immune Supreme and supplements (2 fast brain, 1 procosanoid, 4 carnatine synergy)

7am Meal 1 8oz Buffalo, 1 handful pistachios (2HCL 3.0, 2 EPA/DHA 780, 2 insulinomics, 2 fennuplex, 4 multiintense w/o iron, 1 uberzinc) 1scoop primal fiber

8:30am Training (sipped on 50grams bcaa’s)

Max Effort Bench
worked up to 1 rep with 335 (felt strong)
4 sets 15reps assisted dip tricep pushdowns (elbows out)
3 sets 10 reps rope pressdowns (elbows in)
3 sets nautilus pullovers 12 reps

10:30am 3scoops isopure chocolate,10grams glycine, 20 grams glutamine

12:45 8oz Jamacian jerk chicken 1/2 bag broccoli (organic) 2T organic butter from grass fed cattle (2 HCL 3.0, 1 vit e 400iu, 2 fenuplex, 2 insulinomics, 2 EPA/DHA 780, 2 fast brain)

3:00 8oz Jamacian jerk chicken 1large container of salad with olive oil balsamic dressing (2 HCL 3.0, 2EPA/DHA 780, 1 ubermag)

4:00 Train session 2 (30 grams bcaa’s)
lower trap and rotator work
extra back work
biceps
*4:30 2scoops isoppure, 10grams glutamine, 8 antioxidants

*7:30 8oz grass fed ribeye, 1/2 bag asparagus (2 HCL 3.0, 2 EPA/DHA 780, 2 fenuplex, 2 insulinomics, 1 ubermag)

*10:00 8oz turkey burger made with spinach and pine nuts, 1/2 bag spinach ((same supplements as previous meal + 4 multi-intense w/o iron)

Well there it is day 1…

(* means not yet done at time of writing any changes will be posted in edit)

[quote]cheeta wrote:
…look forward to following you… in a non stalker way though :)[/quote]

Same here…but minus the non-stalker promise!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
cheeta wrote:
…look forward to following you… in a non stalker way though :slight_smile:

Same here…but minus the non-stalker promise![/quote]

Laroyal, run while you still can! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m liking the menu, laroyal. Makes me want to pick up some bison patties today…

How do you plan/prepare your meals? Do you cook in advance?

[quote]cheeta wrote:
well I was thinking about calling you a sissy, but instead just thought I would say, good to see ya her, look forward to following you… in a non stalker way though :)[/quote]

Thank you for stopping by I am truly flattered…in a non stalker way:-)

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
cheeta wrote:
…look forward to following you… in a non stalker way though :slight_smile:

Same here…but minus the non-stalker promise![/quote]

You can stalk me any time and thank you for stopping by:-)

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I’m liking the menu, laroyal. Makes me want to pick up some bison patties today…

How do you plan/prepare your meals? Do you cook in advance?[/quote]

The day usually starts pretty early for me:-) I cook my first meal while I am letting my pooch out (you know those English Bulldogs…they like to stall). Then I go to Westside do a shake after my workout and drive home. The rest of my food is cooked when I get home from the gym while I am answering e mails. Sometimes on the weekends I will cook out and have a day or 2’s meals prepared in advance but usually it is same day cooking.

Well it’s about time you start sharing a little more.

Can a good training regimen overcome a so-so diet?

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Well it’s about time you start sharing a little more.

Can a good training regimen overcome a so-so diet? [/quote]

I think you can make progress with sub par nutrition and supplements but, it would be far from optimal…A Ferrari will still drive as long as there is gas in the tank but, it will run best on premium. IMHO nutrition forms the cornerstone of a good trianing program and is an integral part!

For simplicity sake and to save time typing…I am going to simply list my current supplements below (big thanks to www.thejuicedmoose.com -Dave you are the man!!):

Upon Rising: 4 scoops immune supreme, 1 procosanoid, 2 fast brain, 4 carnitine synergy (all taken on empty stomach)

Poliquin EPA/DHA 780 2tabs with meals
Poliquin Ultra HCL 3.0 (2 tabs with meals)
Poliquin insulinomics 2 tabs t.i.d.
Poliquin Fenuplex 2 tabs t.i.d.
Poliquin Multi-intense 4 tabs b.i.d.
Poliquin Ubermag 2tabs b.i.d
Poliquin Uberzinc 2 tabs per day
Carlson Vitamin E 400 i.u. 1x daily
Poliquin Fast Brain (1 time in addition to first thing in the morniing supplements)

Great to have you here; you’re a class act and a stand-up guy. You eat a bloody lot, too, for someone at 195 pounds!

Am I correct in understanding you’re following a low-carb protocol?

[quote]G87 wrote:
Great to have you here; you’re a class act and a stand-up guy. You eat a bloody lot, too, for someone at 195 pounds!

Am I correct in understanding you’re following a low-carb protocol?[/quote]

Thank you for checking out my post and thank you for the compliment! I am currently following a low carb protocol (my subscap and superilliac measures dictate what kind of nutrition I follow). I eat 2.0 grams per pound of bodyweight (ont lean but total bodyweight) every 5th day I will have a 150% day (add meals or to raise protein and fats for the day) and every 7 days I have a cheat meal at the end of the day (last meal).

Hi-
Looking forward to reading about your progress! :slight_smile:

[quote]cheeta wrote:
How do you feel that the low carb is working with gaining strenght? Im interested in trying to do that since i kinda want to look purdy, but worried about loosing strenght so id love to hear how that is working out for you![/quote]

I’d like to know that, too. Plus, I know you’re doing a cheat every 7th day (and on the tcell you mentioned eating sweet potatoes) so that’s sometimes a carb up. But what are your thoughts on the leptin levels and low carbing for too long? And how that for gaining size?

Geez, I too seem to be stalking you…remember what you’re cheat meals are posted in another forum.

laroyal,

Great Thread!!! I was wondering what your thoughts were on long term low carbing with no carb ups or cheats? I find that as long as I stay low carb (under 30gms) I have no cravings but as soon as I eat carbs (even clean ones) I get unbelievable cravings for sweet stuff.

BTW - Is the Immune Supreme new? I can’t find it on CPs website.

Cheers
Clutch

[quote]cheeta wrote:
How do you feel that the low carb is working with gaining strenght? Im interested in trying to do that since i kinda want to look purdy, but worried about loosing strenght so id love to hear how that is working out for you![/quote]

Are you kidding you LOOK purdy;-) already! Seriously though, I feel I do better on low carbs and fats, about 75% of the people out there do. When I write diets for people I look at their biosig readings to tell me how many, what kind and how often for the carbs.

The leaner an individual the more carbs they get. Depending on someone’s level of leanness they may do a carb MEAL every 7 days or a carb DAY every 3 days so it is very individualized but generally speaking I do feel I am as strong (or stronger on low carbs) and have noticed the same with the people I work with.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
cheeta wrote:
How do you feel that the low carb is working with gaining strenght? Im interested in trying to do that since i kinda want to look purdy, but worried about loosing strenght so id love to hear how that is working out for you!

I’d like to know that, too. Plus, I know you’re doing a cheat every 7th day (and on the tcell you mentioned eating sweet potatoes) so that’s sometimes a carb up. But what are your thoughts on the leptin levels and low carbing for too long? And how that for gaining size?

Geez, I too seem to be stalking you…remember what you’re cheat meals are posted in another forum. [/quote]

Haha…this site is full of stalkers…just kidding, I am always hapy to help and thankfull for peoples support and questions.

I do feel like adding a carb meal helps with raising leptin, keeping thyroid from downregulating and most importantly BCAA oxidation. As I mentioned to Cheeta there is a lot of varience in the amount, type and frequency of carbmeals for people but I believe everyone needs one.

Well here is the rundown on today’s meals:

6am 4scoops immune supreme protein by Poliquin

7am 8oz Ostrich meat 1 handful of pecans, and the best cup of coffee I have had in YEARS!!

10am 8oz jamacian jerk chicken (can you tell I am hooked on the stuff) 2 cups spinach

12noon 8oz organic lean ground beef roasted red peppers and 1/2 bag green beans

230 8oz grilled lime chicken 1/2bag spinach

530 10oz ground turkey breast with pine nuts spinach and feta and 1/2 bag of broccoli with 2 Tablespoons grass fed cow unpasturized organic butter (very high in CLA and butyric acid)

730 8oz ground beef green beans and olive oil

10pm remaining 6oz turkey from 530 meal 2 cups spinach.

What is the purpose of the procosanoid? What dosage do you take it at?

Also, can you give your thoughts on pantethine? What are the different sources of pantethine? I know it has been documented in its ability to rid the body of blood fats, but I see there are supplements that derive pantothenic acid from Vitamin B5 and pantethine from Pantesin, a patented product that supposedly lasts longer in the blood stream.

I know CP has a Pantethine Supreme and it lists the dose per capsule at 250 mg, but it does not say from what the pantethine is derived (e.g., as a salt from B5 or from Pantesin).

I ask because I am considering taking 500-1000 mg of pantethine about 1 hour before fasted cardio, to possibly aid in removing blood fats that will be circulating from the bout of cardio. I would take the pantethine along with a specific dose of L-Carnitine which I read can help mobilize fatty acids.

Thanks, sorry to hijack your thread.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
What is the purpose of the procosanoid? What dosage do you take it at?

Also, can you give your thoughts on pantethine? What are the different sources of pantethine? I know it has been documented in its ability to rid the body of blood fats, but I see there are supplements that derive pantothenic acid from Vitamin B5 and pantethine from Pantesin, a patented product that supposedly lasts longer in the blood stream.

I know CP has a Pantethine Supreme and it lists the dose per capsule at 250 mg, but it does not say from what the pantethine is derived (e.g., as a salt from B5 or from Pantesin).

I ask because I am considering taking 500-1000 mg of pantethine about 1 hour before fasted cardio, to possibly aid in removing blood fats that will be circulating from the bout of cardio. I would take the pantethine along with a specific dose of L-Carnitine which I read can help mobilize fatty acids.

Thanks, sorry to hijack your thread.[/quote]

The pantethine I use is Pantethine supreme by Poliquin as part of a low morning energy protocol (1 would take 2 with breakfast and 2 with lunch)

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/store/product.php?productid=81&cat=0&page=1
It is good for boosting test levels and metal detox as well. L carnitine is great for mobilizing fats, you should use 1-2 grams per 10 grams of fish oil and 400 i.u. vitamin e.

I currently use 500mg acetyl 1500mg tartrate form (both raise androgen receptors and acetyl helps with cognition as well).

Here is the rundown on prcosanoid:

It is made by ISS
ISS Research ProCosanoid, 60 Tabs

ProCosanoid is a fast acting sustained release formula, exclusively licensed by ISS Research, that provides an increase in energy, focus & clarity. By supplementing your lifestyle with ProCosanoid, one may see the following benefits:

Neural Energy - Sustained release over a 3-4 hour period has been reported.
Improved Muscular Contraction
Improved Chances of Weight Loss
Improved Mental Clarity
ProCosanoid is proprietary amalgamation of alkaloidal compounds comprised of Isolated Paraxanthine succinate, Ionized Theobromine succinate, and catalyzed Theophylline succinate.

Alpha-GPC is a purified Choline source added to ProCosanoid. Choline is an essential component of all living cells providing a source for acetylcholine, the key neurotransmitter in the brain supporting memory and cognitive performance.

Alpha-GPC is easily passed through the blood-brain barrier, raising blood and brain choline levels safely and effectively. Alpha- GPC may naturally increase the secretion of human growth hormone.

Spherical Dextrose Substrate is a supportive 100% pure ingredient designed and manufactured under patent protection. The spherical shape greatly increases glycogen cellular uptake and delivers glucose at unprecedented cellular efficiency. Uses scientifically engineered multi-platform technology to stimulate several essential cellular responses all at the same time.

Nutritional Facts

Each Serving Size (cap) 1 provides:

Ingredients Dosage % Daily Value

ProCosanoid (mg)

Alpha Glycerophosphocholine(Alpha GPC) (mg) 10

B Complex Foundation (In A Base Of Caffeic Acid) (mg) 34

Thiamin B1 (mg) 1.5

Riboflavin B2 (mg) 1.7

Niacinamide B-3 (mg) 10

Pantothenic Acid B-5 (mg) 10

Pyridoxine HCL B-6 (mg) 2

Biotin B-7 1% (mcg) 6

Cyanocobalamin B-12 (mcg) 6

Glyco-Amino Complex (mg) 65

Spherical Dextrose Substrate (mg) 230 <1

*Daily Value not established
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Ingredient Details :
Glyco-Amino Complex:
Consisting Of: L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, L-Pyroglutamine, GABA, Lysine & L-Tyrosine In A Base Of Purified, De-Polymerized, Micro Crystalline Cellulose.

Spherical Dextrose Substrate:
Consisting Of: Mono, Poly, Oligo Saccharides

Other Ingredients:
Micro Crystal Cellulose, Partially Pregelatinized Maize Starch, Cross Linked Sodium Carboxymethylcellose, Magnesium Stearate, Hypermellose, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C Yellow #6 and Sunset Yellow FCF

Suggested Use :
Take 1 tablet with a glass of water 15 minutes before exercise or before the need for mental alertness. (I only use 1 per day and I love it). The energy and mental alertness will continue for 4 to 5 hours. Do not exceed more than 2 tablets per 24 hr period.

I also do not methylate I have the MTHFR gene mutation so I take a lot of extra B vitamins!