Largest Strength Jump You Allow Per Week

Lets say at the start of decently large and well thought out cycle including kickstart and frontload your Back Squat is 400lbs for a single. Then after a week you work up to ME in the movement again and you easily hit 410 and so on and so on. Would you consider this to be way to aggressive of a jump on week to week basis on your joints and tendons.

I guess basically the question is how much would you go up in lift per week depending on how your feeling. Say 400 is the max and 430 feels realistic the following week after warm ups would you attempt it or cut your self off at a certain point just to be safe.

I dont really think about it in terms of safe but whats mentally motivating. I would rather make constant small progress week to week than try large jumps even if I can. For me its more important to hit small PR’s all the time than bigger ones every once in a while.

I also look at getting stronger by the year not weekly or monthly. That being said I will still sometimes go for a lift if it coverts over and I feel good. Say its 5/3/1+ and I got 6 for my 1+. I would convert the max and go for it. Sometimes we all get a little greedy.

Personally, When I’m on AAS I push it as far as I can each and every workout.

Cool cool I was just curious as to what some of you thought. I had a bit of a debate about gaining strength to fast would less to injury with out a doubt. I personally think he was over reacting but hey what do I know.

My first run, I went max effort every session for the entire eight weeks. I may have overdone it a bit because most exercises stopped moving at the end of week seven. I also pulled a quad(first time ever) on my second to last squat day. Training BJJ/Grappling 4-5 days/week may have also contributed.

I was under 1 gram/week of gear for that cycle. My next run, I plan on upping the AAS dosage by 500 mg/week and going for at least 12 weeks. I follow Wendler 5-3-1 and plan on keeping the deload weeks this time around.

I think this should depend on your training history. A Powerlifter more used to using a high percentage of his 1RM on a consistent basis will have the foundation in the connective tissues, ligaments, etc. to support a more aggressive jump in his lifts week over week. A bodybuilder that has mainly focused on the pump for his training career should be more cautious.

If you are a powerlifter, and NOT trying to aggressively gain strength, I gotta ask why you are using AAS :slight_smile:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I think this should depend on your training history. A Powerlifter more used to using a high percentage of his 1RM on a consistent basis will have the foundation in the connective tissues, ligaments, etc. to support a more aggressive jump in his lifts week over week. A bodybuilder that has mainly focused on the pump for his training career should be more cautious.

If you are a powerlifter, and NOT trying to aggressively gain strength, I gotta ask why you are using AAS :)[/quote]

Best answer so far thanks VT

Lots of good advice here. My thoughts are that hitting a new “calculated pr” every time you hit the gym would be fine (weight x .033 x reps + weight). Repeat singles is asking for trouble though. There’s no reason to push a new single every week but everything else I say is fair game. Triples, fives, eights, 98% 1RM for 8-12 singles, volume prs, whatever. Get it in.