T Nation

Large Grip Dumbells

I recently read that a large grip on a dumbell (i.e. wrapping some foam around the handle) can signifigantly increase bicep size when curled compared to average grip size. Does anyone have any experience with this?

it would make your forearms bigger and stronger, which would help in curling more weight which would give you bigger stronger biceps.

[quote]Bujutsuka wrote:
I recently read that a large grip on a dumbell (i.e. wrapping some foam around the handle) can signifigantly increase bicep size when curled compared to average grip size. Does anyone have any experience with this? [/quote]

I wrap towels around DB grips on Hammer Curls and Zotterman Curls on some workouts – but that is to strengthen my grip and build my forearms.

Just recently, I made some slipover “sleeves” out of some polyurethane foam pipe lagging.

You can also try leaving the “puss pad” on a barbell and doing fat-grip curls and reverse curls.

Everyone else in the gym looks at me like I’m crazy, but so what…

To share my experience:

I used to use the little gym towels that the YMCA used to have lying around & double wrapped them around 'bells to get more of a grip workout

Then I bought that foam sleeve insulation stuff at Home Depot you wrap on water pipes; double overlapped & hot glued them together; a little ghetto but not bad, THEN

Seriously, check them out - @ $50/pair they might seem pricey but IMO worth it for the pain and additional thickness you add to the bar = greater grip strength

You could also use Lynxgrips - http://www.lynxpt.com/

In any case the Tyler Grips are pretty cool in that they almost replicate a fat bar & trust that the forearms get torched :slight_smile:

Your other/last choice is just chalk up and focus on raw grip strength grabbing irregular sized objects or sandbags…

Good luck

To share my experience:

I used to use the little gym towels that the YMCA used to have lying around & double wrapped them around 'bells to get more of a grip workout

Then I bought that foam sleeve insulation stuff at Home Depot you wrap on water pipes; double overlapped & hot glued them together; a little ghetto but not bad, THEN

Seriously, check them out - @ $50/pair they might seem pricey but IMO worth it for the pain and additional thickness you add to the bar = greater grip strength

In any case the Tyler Grips are pretty cool in that they almost replicate a fat bar & trust that the forearms get torched :slight_smile:

Your other/last choice is just chalk up and focus on raw grip strength grabbing irregular sized objects or sandbags…

Good luck

The lynx are more to protect your hands than for a fat grip IMO

http://www6.mailordercentral.com
/ironmind/products.asp?dept=15

Jaybvee

How long have you found the Tyler Grips to last? Interested in getting my own pair.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Jaybvee

How long have you found the Tyler Grips to last? Interested in getting my own pair.[/quote]

They’re very solid, I’d expect them to last for 5 years of 3x a week use at least.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:

… THEN

[/quote]

Yes, but can you use them to dry off after a shower?

You can also do other things with a towel:

1. Take a turn around a DB handle and grab both ends of the towel and do “suspension curls”
  2. You can also do this by suspending a plate from a towel.
  3. You can also do a version of one-arm rows in this way.

WTF looking back I double posted… oh well

Bladerunner13 - lol I’m just giving the OP some options - I have used towels in this manner (killer forearm workout) but definitely NOT to towel off post gym workout - with the gym denizens being what they are nowadays you can’t take any chances with re-using those towels :stuck_out_tongue:

At least at my gym

I Macgyver workouts as well to work with what I 've got in terms of weight equipment

RWelder0 - they are pretty sturdy & solid, short of you having acidic sweat that eats rubber/vinyl I think you would be hardpressed to destroy the Tylergrips