Lanky Me Chasing 5 More lbs, 1 More Rep

20 February 2019

Squats was shit today
100kg x 4 x 1 dropped down to
90kg x 5 x 1
90kg x 4 x 1
Decided to stop after that to avoid doing something stupid. I think the main reason was that I rushed everything from warm ups and only got 4 hours sleep

Bent over row 55kg x 5 x 5

Bench
55kg x 5 x 3
55kg x 3 x 1

Lat pull down 47.5kg x 10 x 3
Seated cable pec deck flyes 110lbs x 10 x 3
Cable face pulls 20kg x 10 x 3

24 February 2019

Squat 90kg x 5 x 5

Strict OHP
40kg x 5 x 1 - Didn’t like how the bar was moving
40kg x 3 x 1 - Yep, definitely did not like how the bar was moving and how my form was breaking, so I dropped down to
35kg x 5 x 3
Strict OHP by far has been the worst in terms of progression on SL 5x5. Not sure how to fix this yet aside from the obvious - change the program. Lol. Maybe more dumbell overhead pressing for now.

Deadlift 90kg x 5 x 3
Still working on keeping my lower back from rounding. I’m trying experiment with bracing at the top even before reaching down for the bar, instead of bracing when I’m already in position

Sumo Deadlift 100kg x 5 x 1

I think another reason why my lifts (specifically squat and OHP) are suddenly becoming shitty is because I haven’t trained as consistent as I should for the past two to three weeks. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to skip gym ranging from 3-7 days at a time. Gonna try to get back consistently before I throw the towel on SL 5x5. I really hate the feeling of missing reps.

28 February 2019

Didn’t do so much today since going to the gym has been inconsistent lately

Squats 92.5kg x 5 x 5
Bench 50kg x 5 x 5
Lat pull downs 50kg x 8 x 3

Hopefully will be able to go more consistently from now on

3 March 2019

Squat 95kg x 5 x 3
3 sets definitely feels more doable than 5x5 mentally and physically for both squat and OHP. Looks like i’ll be moving to 3 sets for these on my last few weeks on SL.

Strict OHP 37.5kg x 5 x3
DB side lateral raise 5kg x 12 x 2, 7.5kg x 10 x2

Deadlift 95kg x 5 x 2
Getting better at telling which reps were bad/loose and which had really rounded lower back

Sumo 105kg x 5 x 1
I kinda rushed the reps here. I regret doing that. Didn’t completely reset between reps, so some of them i ripped right through and felt like I didn’t pull the slack out of the bar first

Leaving these here for me to read up on later
https://www.elitefts.com/education/elitefts-free-deadlift-manual/
https://www.elitefts.com/education/deconstructing-the-deadlift/

2 Likes

Nice deadlifts man.
Looking quite easy.

Thanks man! Been working on them ever since I got here on t nation. Some members here have been a great help with that. Dropping weight to fix form and progressing slowly was a good decision

1 Like

@Frank_C you were right about the vertical jump. Strengthening my legs in general has kept my jump “acceptable” at least in my sport and I’ve barely done any plyometrics

2 Likes

@guineapig here it is bro

1 Like

Is a bit hard to find brother lol

Haha. Not much interesting stuff here anyway lol

7 March 2019

Squats 95kg x 5 x 3

Bench 52.5kg x 5 x 5
Seated cable pec deck flyes 110 lbs x 12, 12, 8

pinched that nerve again in my traps area in one of the reps that I accidentally shrugged. Wasn’t focusing on retracting my shoulder blades and I hit that nerve again. At least I know what not to do anymore

Cable lat pull downs 50kg x 10, 10, 8
Cable face pulls 20kg x 12, 12, 10
First time doing these seated. Definitely reduces momentum from the torso

Send nudes

Hush man Chris colucci might catch us here lol

Nah we just online gym friends who are critiquing each other’s bodies. For like physique purposes and such lol.

Speaking of are your goals physique or performance focused?

Nothing to see here Chris. Lol

To answer your question, more on performance. Although I do understand that a strength approach will inevitably cause AND need some hypertrophy, that’s completely fine. Physique just isn’t the focus. The only thing I want to improve physique wise are my shoulders so I can look a little less lanky.

Don’t really get it tbh. Wouldn’t slapping mass everywhere be more effective in that regard. You could the worlds best shoulders and look fucking wide as but your legs and arms are gonna let you down

Perhaps I really do need to send you a nude… I mean a physique photo. Hahaha.

But yeah, I guess putting on some mass is the more correct way to say it, which will come with the strength approach I guess. Sorry if it sounds hard to figure out. Not really familiar with the correct semantics cause I’m a noob in this strength game lol

Basically, I’m not concerned with looking like a body builder/gym bro/the guy that lifts. I know a strength approach will slowly but surely add some mass to my frame, which I will be happy about. The only thing I want to bring up to par are my shoulders. Think of a typical NBA athlete. They’re tall but when you look at them up close, you’ll see that they’ve got some mass/muscle even if at first glance it doesn’t look like it

I guess we just have different ideas of what not lanky means.

Good luck the delt focus. I can empathise with wanting big as sexy Delts.

I think every natty who isn’t gifted in that area envies the sexy cannon ball delts of AAS users it’s such an appealing look whether by nature or subconsciously or having society drill it into us.

What are you doing currently to focus them? If nothing else works just pump yourself full of drugs and synthol and you’ll be alright lol

Yeah I think this is where the confusion came from lol.

Society definitely has a role in priming that image to strive for. Never took you for the philosophical type lol.

Right now, just the strict barbell OHP, dumbbell side lateral raises, and cable face pulls. Not really a good plan lol. Really gonna be harder for a natty huh…