BB Row
115 x 8 x 3 sets

Unilateral cable row
50 x 10 x 3 sets

Superset:
Cable triceps kickback 10 lbs x 10 x 3 sets
Hammer curls 25 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

@simo74 as promised. There’s still some wiggling, so I stand corrected

Seems like a deload is in order. Squats felt heavy, walkout was trash, lower back felt tight.

4 Likes

I would be surprised if you didn’t hit 315 in a few months. When was your last deload?

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Last deload? Since I started lifting again in July?..
I’ve never technically done a deload (more so a proper one at that!) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m a big fan of doing some sort of stupid hellacious workout right before a deload so that I need a full week to recover. Takes away some of the training “guilt”, and my theory is that it promotes greater recovery as a means of super compensation. You might appreciate such an approach.

2 Likes

How’s your food intake?

1 Like

Can maxing out be considered stupid hellacious? :sweat_smile:

@tlgains not the best. Usually rice with a source of meat/protein, whatever I can get my hands on and whatever time permits

1 Like

That’s, no joke, something you do on a cut. It’s so low volume. But if you wanna do low reps, you could do something like EMOM doubles for an hour.

I guess I’m weaker than I thought LOL

Also…

Excuse me? WTF? haha

1 Like

Nah, it’s not about weakness. There’s a difference between recovering from intensity vs recovering from volume. I can fry myself out with a heavy single and NO amount of eating will undo it. I’ve taxed my system in that regard. No different than that fatigue you feel after getting really angry and then cooling down. You’re just exhausted, but it’s not a physical exhaustion: it’s emotional. Time is the only healer there. But with stupid high volume? Yeah: that needs eating.

It works. I actually find it a little cheaty, because doubles go so fast you get a LOT of rest time, but again, if you like heavy, it’s a choice. I did 5s for an hour a little while back and it was just about right.

2 Likes

Ahh gotcha

1 Like

I just realized…

295 is 134kg

before covid, heaviest single I did was 120kg and failed at 130kg. So that’s actually a 14kg increase!

9 Likes

That’s some good squat progress mate. The squats in that video looked fine mate and what I would expect for someone if you size/ stature. How many days a week are you squatting right now ? And what accessories are you doing to build leg size ?
I think your squat form is pretty good and and gain now will come more from adding size than any technical fix

1 Like

Thank you!

Just once a week. Can’t afford to train more than 2x a week.

Training is generally

Session A
Squat 5/3/1
Bench 5/3/1 + FSL 3 x 5
Dips (but haven’t done them lately)
back stuff
A little arms

Session B
Sumo 5/3/1
OHP 5/3/1 + FSL 3 x 5
shoulder stuff
Some arms
Some extra hamstring stuff when I remember

Any way you could add some Bulgarians (rear elevated split squat) to you second session. Or find a way to do them on another day. Adding these would help add some size and help your squat for sure.

1 Like

I probably could! Hopefully I don’t get lazy. Looking at how I’m training, don’t you think I need more hamstring than quad work though? I think my hamstrings are lagging specially since I switched to sumo

Probably asking the wrong bloke that question. Other than the occasional GHR I haven’t done any specific hamstring work since returning to gym 5 years go. I would always go extra quad work but maybe don’t listen to me😂