Lanky Me Chasing 5 More lbs, 1 More Rep

@californiagrown continuing my question here…you think vans slip ons are good enough for sleet?

If you’re feet get cold easily, no.

I like them because I find I slip less than with any other shoe on ice and snow. But they provide zero protection against cold or wet. I have no problem with either, and IMO it’s not that hard to not step in or jump over slush puddles. YMMV.

1 Like

Ohhh I gotcha. I know there are some slip ons that are leather on the top. Those would probably be better in terms of cold and water resistance

It’s all personal preference. You’ll figure out the clothing and shoes you prefer for which kind of weather after the first winter or two. Eg. I run warm so I prefer a big heavy winter coat that I can take off and wear a short sleeve polo in the office and not have to deal with multiple layers. YMMV on all of this. It’s not that serious though, worst case you’ll be a little cold for a few minutes before you can warm up in your heated, dry destination.

1 Like

17 November 2021

Sumo
225 x 5
275 x 5
295 x 5

OHP
85 x 5
95 x 5
100 x 5

didn’t have my phone so I was guessing the numbers here. It was supposed to be a 5s day, ended up lifting too heavy

2 Likes

20 November 2021

Squat
180 x 3
205 x 3
230 x 8 RPE 8.5 - 9? I chickened out mentally

Bench
105 x 3
120 x 3
135 x 6

DB row 45 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Hammer ss regular curls
20 lbs x 10 + 10 lbs x 10

Unilateral cable overhead tricep extension 10 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

Ab wheel 12 x 3 sets

Someone please fix my poverty bench please :sob:

3 Likes

“How to bench 405…”

Page 1: Push > 405.

The end.

:rofl:

I kid. You’re kind of setting up like a pl bench but doing reps.

I’d start by pushing every rep like it’s an absolute max. Really explode off the bottom.

Since we’re actually both built very similarly (when I was young and lean/lankyish) I wouldn’t worry much about getting a strong chest. That will only cost you your shoulders.
Bench with the tris and front delts. Hammer triceps & delts hard with dips & close grip bench press. Ohp with pre-exhaust & stuff like that for delts.

Just my humble offering.

1 Like

I kinda got mind blown here…

And luckily, it’s easy for my chest to “pop” even if i don’t do much for chest. So focusing on shoulders and triceps sounds good for now!

1 Like

23 November 2021

Sumo
215 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 10

OHP
80 x 3
90 x 3
100 x 7

Side laterals
20 lbs x 10 + 15 lbs x 10 + 10 lbs x 10, 3 sets

Cable reverse flyes
100 lbs x 10 + 70 lbs x 10, 2 sets
Just mentally stopped on the first rep of the 3rd set

Unilateral cable tricep extension
12, 12, 10

Really surprised I pulled off that 275 x 10. Highest e1RM so far out of no where after a long tiring day. Really happy with that

@T3hPwnisher I think my stopping points are a little more consistent now?

4 Likes

The angle is a little rough. Big thing I see is you’re swaying left to right, which could indicate that the core needs to be more stable. Do you hold your breath for as many reps as possible? The bar is still stopping at an arbitrary point around your chin, which is going to make things rough in my experience: like cutting a squat high. Yeah: the ROM is shorter, but stopping and reversing takes a LOT of effort compared to letting your body determine a stopping point and working naturally with that. You grip a lot narrower than I like to in a press.

I just noticed this too for the first time.

I think I do specially for the first few

Yes, right below my chin. I think they’re more consistent based on where I stop the bar relative to the squat rack/mirror, but I’ll try to go for resting on collarbone/chest next cycle. Your analogy makes sense

Even if you consider that my shoulders/frame is narrow?
Oh crap…I see that it is narrow. my forearms are not 90 degrees relative to the bar on the descent. The fold in. Ok, will widen a bit

Thank you!

1 Like

@T3hPwnisher you think the core thing will correct itself over time or do I need to actively do core stuff?

If you aren’t currently training it, I absolutely would. Might help to wear the belt lower and really push into it with your gut.

It’s still too high? It’s definitely lower than before. Keep in mind I have a short torso and am high waisted

The problem I have with the belt for OHP is that putting it on feels tight but once I lift upwards, it just loosens by itself. Guess I gotta tighten more lol

All i’m doing for core right now is ab wheel lol

1 Like

Or wear it lower :wink:

Ab wheel is good. That and reverse hyper is all I do.

1 Like

Haha. Alright, will try! Thanks!

Gotta keep doing those back extensions again :sob:

To be clear: we’re going for diaphragmatic breathing, and we’re using the pressure from a deep belly breath to push out on our belt and use THAT to create the brace, NOT cinch the belt so tight that the muscles couldn’t shorten if they wanted to.

You don’t need a belt for a good brace: it’s a GREAT tool to give you feedback on a good brace.

2 Likes

Gotcha. It’s just hard for me in OHP since the natural motion of putting my arms overhead narrows my belly naturally, which makes me forget to squeeze abs real tight, if you get what I mean

26 November 2021

Squat
195 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 6
275 x 1 (just for the heck of)

Bench
110 x 5
125 x 3
140 x 5 (contemplated going for a 6th)
110 x 5 x 3

Incline Bench (was with a friend, so kinda did accessories with him)
75 x 10
95 x 10
135 x 2 lol

Unilateral Seated cable row
50 lbs x 10 x 3

DB rows
50 lbs x 10 x 2

Unilateral cable overhead tricep extension
12.5 x 10 x 3

4 Likes
4 Likes