Landis Tests Positive

Say it aint so!! 2006 Tour de France winner, Floyd Landis gives positive drug test, team says. More details to follow. The news just broke, I will post the link once available.

Here is the link

So he will lose his title?

Edit: Maybe he will claim his bad hip for test usage.

The French are going to have a feast with this one.

I mean how stupid do you have to be. In stage 16 he was completely in the red and lost over 8 minutes in the overall classifications on the last mountain. Everyone who knew anything about cycling said he lost the Tour right there.

Then he comes back in stage 17 the next day and he rides the most impressive solo ride ever in the Tour, in my opinion. And basically assures he can win the Tour in the time trial in stage 19, which he then does.

His positive test was taken after stage 17. With all the controversy surrounding the start of the Tour with 60 some riders being kicked out and with the accusations Lance Armstrong has had to deal with in the past, this is the last thing US cycling needed.

I am not sure about that but most likely he will.

I can’t remember a winner of the Tour testing positive like this. I know Marco Pantani tested positive some time later after he won the Tour in 1998 and he is still listed as the winner. I think the difference is that Pantani tested positive outside the Tour and is therefore still listed as the 98 winner.

Since Landis tested positive after stage 17, I would imagine he loses his title.

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
So he will lose his title?[/quote]

As far as the bad hip goes, I doubt anyone will believe that was the case. If you look at what happened in stage 16 and 17, it is almost a foregone conclusion, he took some serious juice right after stage 16 and rode as a mad man in stage 17.

I am really hoping there is some kind of misunderstanding here but I seriously doubt it.

Edit: Maybe he will claim his bad hip for test usage.[/quote]

Tests not finalised etc… and of course allegations were going to fly after his win.

We shall see.

I’m not going to be the guy who says “I knew all along!”.

But I have to be honest and say that when I saw him completely blow off the reporters and get into the car after the stage on which he cracked, I was sitting there thinking to myself, “What’s he going to do right now? What are he and his team doctor(s) going to talk about…?”

[/quote]
That will be the least of his problems.

A real kick in the nuts for him and for cycling…to which Lance luckily for him was immune.

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:

I mean how stupid do you have to be. In stage 16 he was completely in the red and lost over 8 minutes in the overall classifications on the last mountain. Everyone who knew anything about cycling said he lost the Tour right there.

Then he comes back in stage 17 the next day and he rides the most impressive solo ride ever in the Tour, in my opinion. And basically assures he can win the Tour in the time trial in stage 19, which he then does.

His positive test was taken after stage 17. With all the controversy surrounding the start of the Tour with 60 some riders being kicked out and with the accusations Lance Armstrong has had to deal with in the past, this is the last thing US cycling needed.

[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with you more. The French have been wanting to convict Armstrong of something ever since he won his first Tour. And now that they can possibly convict a US rider of doping they are going to freakin’ go nukin’ futs!

The French will no doubt try to somehow tie this into Armstrong somehow. It’s a great opportunity to try to smear his name more. Damn Frenchies…

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:

I can’t remember a winner of the Tour testing positive like this. I know Marco Pantani tested positive some time later after he won the Tour in 1998 and he is still listed as the winner. I think the difference is that Pantani tested positive outside the Tour and is therefore still listed as the 98 winner.

Since Landis tested positive after stage 17, I would imagine he loses his title.

themonthofjun wrote:

[/quote]

Funny that they didnt test him until after he blew everyone away on stage 17. I was expecting this. Seems to ironic to me.

It says he had high levels on Test. I call total bullshit. Would one injection of test really make him be able to do what he did on stage 17? I doubt it.

TR

[quote]dre wrote:

I couldn’t agree with you more. The French have been wanting to convict Armstrong of something evder since he won his first Tour. And now that they can possibly convict a US rider of doping they are going to freakin’ go nukin’ futs!

The French will no doubt try to somehow tie this into Armstrong somehow. It’s a great opportunity to try to smear his name more. Damn Frenchies…[/quote]
Yep, it’s called gratitude for saving their hairy asses twice in the last century. Just ask the Brits how grateful the Frogs really are…

[quote]CC wrote:

But I have to be honest and say that when I saw him completely blow off the reporters and get into the car after the stage on which he cracked, I was sitting there thinking to myself, “What’s he going to do right now? What are he and his team doctor(s) going to talk about…?”[/quote]

I think you have your stages mixed up…Landis was lauded by the media for putting a smile on his face, even though he was clearly hurting and answering every question put to him.

[quote]dre wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

I couldn’t agree with you more. The French have been wanting to convict Armstrong of something ever since he won his first Tour. And now that they can possibly convict a US rider of doping they are going to freakin’ go nukin’ futs!

The French will no doubt try to somehow tie this into Armstrong somehow. It’s a great opportunity to try to smear his name more. Damn Frenchies…[/quote]

Look, do you really, really deep down in your heart believe that it is possible to win a race where approximately 80% are doped 6 times in a row when you are clean?

Really?

So what if Armstrong was doped, all of them where, it kind of levels the playing field.

Damn. They are going to have a field day with this. What he did was superhuman, drugs or not, and this is going to overshadow it forever.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
CC wrote:

But I have to be honest and say that when I saw him completely blow off the reporters and get into the car after the stage on which he cracked, I was sitting there thinking to myself, “What’s he going to do right now? What are he and his team doctor(s) going to talk about…?”

I think you have your stages mixed up…Landis was lauded by the media for putting a smile on his face, even though he was clearly hurting and answering every question put to him.
[/quote]

Besides, heading staight to your trailer is very common. To say that he was heading straight there so he could go dope is as stupid as saying he was going there for a fucking smoke break.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
CC wrote:

[/quote]

No, it was definitely after stage 16. I must have just missed the part where he talked to reporters (I didn’t get to see the whole stage that day - had a lot of work to do). Seems like OLN just kept showing the part where he jumps into the car. Either way, it’s besides the point of my original post. I wasn’t trying to sleight him.

[quote]orion wrote:

Look, do you really, really deep down in your heart believe that it is possible to win a race where approximately 80% are doped 6 times in a row when you are clean?

Really?

So what if Armstrong was doped, all of them where, it kind of levels the playing field.[/quote]

If I say yes does that make me naive? The whole Armstrong doping issue to me is like the American Justice System. Innocent until proven guilty. IMO you have to believe that he doesn’t dope until he fails a drug test. You can speculate all you want about this or about that. But until Armstrong or any other rider fails a drug test, they are clean to me.

[quote]trailrash wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

themonthofjun wrote:

Funny that they didnt test him until after he blew everyone away on stage 17. I was expecting this. Seems to ironic to me.

It says he had high levels on Test. I call total bullshit. Would one injection of test really make him be able to do what he did on stage 17? I doubt it.

TR
[/quote]

See this was always my understanding, that test doesnt kick in instantly, it takes a few weeks to get teh blood levels to raise any noticeable amount.

AA, would test really give that immediate a performance boost?

[quote]trailrash wrote:
UtahLama wrote:
CC wrote:

Besides, heading staight to your trailer is very common. To say that he was heading straight there so he could go dope is as stupid as saying he was going there for a fucking smoke break.

[/quote]

Man, people, calm down. I wasn’t even saying that’s exactly what he was doing. Implying, yes; but I was not directly accusing him.

The thought (from my original post) simply crossed my mind because I’m fascinated (as stated in another thread) by how these riders adjust their training, nutrition, and (in a lot of cases) drug protocols to meet the demands of such a taxing sport. I was simply thinking to myself “Man, how are they going to fight back from this one?” I’m not damning the guy, even if the second test is positive. I still stand behind him 100%.

Some of you all sound like the old-time baseball fans who just absolutely refuse to believe that performance-enhancing drugs would ever enter your precious sport. A lot of top athletes in every sport do drugs. Get over it.