T Nation

Lance Armstrong...

just won his 6th consecutive Tour de France.

That is such a HUGE accomplishment that it’s hard to even put it into words.

Congratulations to a guy who is the very essence of “T-Man”.

“Cycling is so hard, the suffering is so intense, that it’s absolutely cleansing. The pain is so deep and strong that a curtain descends over your brain… Once, someone asked me what pleasure I took in riding for so long. ‘Pleasure?’ I said. ‘I don’t understand the question.’ I didn’t do it for pleasure. I did it for pain.” - Lance Armstrong, from It’s Not About The Bike

The guy who wins this is the one who can endure the most pain over a three week period. The guy who can live at 120% of his aerobic threashold for several hours at a time.

I think its mostly about choosing the correct gear ratio for the hills…and thats why he does so well on the mountains. He gets beaten on a lot of the flat stages so it shows that hes not good at them. I’m sure the guy is a good biker and everything, it’s just that people blow it out of proportion.

Kidding, I don’t even deserve to watch the commericials hes in.

I posted this several months ago, and watched it in part or whole a hundred times over the last three weeks, but it’s still the best commercial ever made. Not that I tear up when I see it though, of course.

http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/
seelanceride/main.html

What a great race that was! All the way down to the Champs Elysees where the sprinters wrapped up their title. It was actually cool to see Jan Ullrich sipping champagne given to him from the the USPS team. I can only hope now that he goes after the Giro D’Italia and shuts up Gilberto Simoni when he kicks his ass yet once again. What a great acomplishment these last 6 years.

He is fantastic. Most likely the best at his sport of all time. Throw in the fact that he had cancer and it makes it even more amazing.

He’s also banging Sheryl Crow.

I can also appreciate that beating the French in the Tour for six years has to be driving them mad.